Freddie

biggdogg

What a mess… Olson is one heck of a consolation prize but he’s not Freddie.

For now, maybe. Olson will be getting better and better as the years start to catch up to Freddie. Stat wise so far between the two is pretty even, including fielding percentage. Except for doubles. Olson is an extra base machine. I still say the Braves came out ahead. And I have always been, and always will be a FF fan.

Duff

Langeliers is/was my only gripe. He’s going to be good

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
For now, maybe. Olson will be getting better and better as the years start to catch up to Freddie. Stat wise so far between the two is pretty even, including fielding percentage. Except for doubles. Olson is an extra base machine. I still say the Braves came out ahead. And I have always been, and always will be a FF fan.

The big difference, FF came through in the clutch when a base hit was not only needed but necessary. Olson, not so much.

James12

The big difference, FF came through in the clutch when a base hit was not only needed but necessary. Olson, not so much.

This ^

Olson, at least at this point in his career, is not even in the same conversation as FF. FF is a generational talent and I think both sides probably wish it was handled differently in hindsight. I also agree that it may not be the last time you hear of this situation. There was clearly an offer than not even the media was aware of, or FF would’ve known about it before now.

DannyW

From reports this morning, the agency is denying they issued an ultimatum to AA, or withheld an offer from Freddie.

This is getting ugly. I tend to believe Freddie has reason to be upset, but the more he pushes the issue the more his LAD teammates will think he doesn't really want to be a Dodger.

What a mess. Best thing Freddie can do right now is bury it and forget it...

treemanjohn

Banned
From reports this morning, the agency is denying they issued an ultimatum to AA, or withheld an offer from Freddie.

This is getting ugly. I tend to believe Freddie has reason to be upset, but the more he pushes the issue the more his LAD teammates will think he doesn't really want to be a Dodger.

What a mess. Best thing Freddie can do right now is bury it and forget it...
Yep Fredrick needs to play ball and enjoy the California sunshine

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Yeah will too late for that. The truth is out now and you can bet AA has the receipts to prove it.

DannyW

And btw...I saw a financial analysis on the $140 million offer from the Braves and the $162 million from the LAD. The Braves offer would have paid more cash to Freddie due to higher California income taxes and cost of living expenses. And it was only for 5 years!

It's hard to make sense of any of this. It's obviously not about money because he would have made more staying in Atlanta. And he repeatedly stated he wanted to stay and retire as a Brave. I believe he was sincere about that.

So why is he now playing for the LAD for less net money?

Makes my head spin...:huh:

biggdogg

And btw...I saw a financial analysis on the $140 million offer from the Braves and the $162 million from the LAD. The Braves offer would have paid more cash to Freddie due to higher California income taxes and cost of living expenses. And it was only for 5 years!

It's hard to make sense of any of this. It's obviously not about money because he would have made more staying in Atlanta. And he repeatedly stated he wanted to stay and retire as a Brave. I believe he was sincere about that.

He would have also gotten ALL of his money over the 5 years in Atlanta. $57 mil of his LA deal is deferred over ten years after his contract is up.

And some seem to forget that FF was just really starting to hit his stride at 27-28 years old. The same age that Olson is currently...

Buckman18

Freddie, hopefully, learned a valuable lesson in all of this….

Trust BUT verify, and be involved.

I can think of several examples in my own life where trusting someone bit me on the backside.

treemanjohn

Banned
All professional athletes are taxed by the state they play in. Freddy paid georgia income tax when he played the Braves last week. Him setting up a residence in California will cost him, but a highly qualified CPA can play with the numbers a bit

I still think he wanted to leave and go home. Maybe his wife wanted to be on the left coast

James12

And some seem to forget that FF was just really starting to hit his stride at 27-28 years old. The same age that Olson is currently...

Respectfully, it’s not even comparable.

Attachments

• 6A067189-D753-48E2-86C0-4E4B71B5149A.jpeg
    6A067189-D753-48E2-86C0-4E4B71B5149A.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 18
  • B31F9708-E84E-4917-94B6-EDED28CD5E6E.jpeg
    B31F9708-E84E-4917-94B6-EDED28CD5E6E.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 18

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
All professional athletes are taxed by the state they play in. Freddy paid georgia income tax when he played the Braves last week. Him setting up a residence in California will cost him, but a highly qualified CPA can play with the numbers a bit

I still think he wanted to leave and go home. Maybe his wife wanted to be on the left coast

You don't need to be highly qualified. Every regular CPA already knows this.:wink:

Still, the number of games he would play in CA as a Brave would be way less than as a Dodger, Giant or Padre.:wink:

DannyW

Still, the number of games he would play in CA as a Brave would be way less than as a Dodger, Giant or Padre.:wink:

Top California state income tax (where Freddie would be) is 13.3%....in Georgia it's 5.75%.

Plus the COL in California is 41% higher versus the national average. Georgia COL is 7% LESS.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Top California state income tax (where Freddie would be) is 13.3%....in Georgia it's 5.75%.

Plus the COL in California is 41% higher versus the national average. Georgia COL is 7% LESS.

And he doesn't get about a 4th of his money until "later".

TinKnocker

Because his agent lied to him so he(the agent) would make a higher commission on the total contract value.

The agent better hope this can't be proven as true, or he may never get to represent another player again.