Seminole Co. Ramblings

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lake Seminole is up a bit from yesterday. More rain in the forecast so I bet the big lake will remain stained to muddy. I would fish behind the hydrilla near the Sealys Island where the water wont be so stained. Great topwater bass fishing in the stumps. And shellcrackers on sand bottoms in the more clear areas. That's what I do. I've also caught some nice cats along grass edges in water less than 6 feet deep. Cats come into those sand bottoms for the small mussels and clams.

Havana Dude

I’m trying a midday sit today. Haven’t been seeing anything early or late, and seeing tracks crossing road on the way in, in tire tracks from evening before. Maybe they walking mid day as well. Idk, it’s about Hail Mary time for me. I’ve never killed a deer this late in the season, but there’s a first time for everything.

Havana Dude

Last hoo rah! Walking in found a fresh scrape, wasn’t there last night when I walked out. Feb. 19, last day, still rut activity. If I don’t see a deer this evening, it will be 13 days at the end of the season without seeing a single deer.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Still seeing scrapes and bucks dogging younger does. Ever since Christmas this weather has been all over the place seemed like, gonna be mid to upper 80's Wednesday or so,

Just glad it is over, now on to turkeys and fishing.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've been busy. MOHs clinic for over seven or eight weeks having skin cancers removed. Dealings with the hunt club where people cut our chain and claim they have access. I have yet to see any proof of such access. Bottom line is, my club is the only one who is paying money. Those cutting the chain and going through us anytime have not one penny in any of it. Mostly realtors going into land locked lands, who also put signs up at our gate suggesting the property we have leased is for sale. We didn't have all these problems before a cattle operation moved in north and south of our property. Rumor is, that business is trying to run us off so they can use our lease for travel from one pasture to the other. Rumor, but sounds about right. Then I've been busy getting my boats ready and back at the dock. Changed the oil in the Suntracker and have it at the dock now. Bass boat is ready now too, but it will stay under shelter for now. Also had to replace four 16 ft boards on the lowbow trailer so I can continue to haul the tractors. Bass are bedding in Seminole, hope nobody snatched those at the dock off the bed. Let them produce. Lake is up a bit, but still lower than normal.

Attachments

• Boat Mar 5 2023.jpg
    Boat Mar 5 2023.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 18
  • trailer finished Mar 23.jpg
    trailer finished Mar 23.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 18

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Love this boat, it's pure comfort for us elderly folks. And that 60 will get this pontoon boat up and at a speed of about 24 mph with just me aboard. I was a flat top sailor, and this is a flat top....lol

Attachments

• pontoon May 21.jpg
    pontoon May 21.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 5

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lake Seminole is up a bit today, water coming down the rivers because we haven't had rain. Had to let the top down to get my pontoon boat under the bridge that goes to Sealys point. So far, I haven't seen any improvements done by the corp. They claim they started cleaning up back in Aug.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Lake Seminole is up a bit today, water coming down the rivers because we haven't had rain. Had to let the top down to get my pontoon boat under the bridge that goes to Sealys point. So far, I haven't seen any improvements done by the corp. They claim they started cleaning up back in Aug.

I haven`t seen any sign that those worthless varmints have done anything good. Fish Pond Drain is a mess. I`ll be needing an airboat to get to my boathouse before long.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pollen is so bad it's covering the waters surface so bad around the dock. I can't see into the clear water. Don't know if anyone has caught the bedding bass yet or not.

Attachments

• Boat Mar 5 2023.jpg
    Boat Mar 5 2023.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 10

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lake Seminole is low again. I can get under the island bridge with the top up on the pontoon now. That bedding buck bass was finally snatched off the bed this morning. He's gone and the little bandits have eaten all the eggs. I see people fishing by the dock all the time, was hoping the little buck wouldn't bite. Couple years ago, I did get to watch one guard the fry after they hatched. They hanged around the dock for days before wandering off. And that buck bass watched over them the whole time. Now I'll have to change my watching to the black bellied whistling ducks. They are becoming more common each year.

Attachments

• Duck.jpg
    Duck.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

billy336

Son,
Those whistling ducks have made a huge comeback here east of Lake Okeechobee. Huge flocks, but they disappear before their season opens. They sure love the feed homeowners on retention ponds put out. Saw 176 one time, on a 2 acre pond in the middle of a subdivision. Beautiful birds and awesome on the plate

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fishing Lake Seminole today. Went out from the dock through Cypress Pond run, to Fish Pond drain, out to the main lake. Fished from out in front of Spooner field to east of Sealy's point. Fish were not biting. We caught one small cat, two specks and one hybrid. One speck was huge, didn't weight it, was caught on a shiner. The lake was low today. What I noticed was, New channel marker poles in the Cypress Pond run. Many channel markers had new reflective panels on them. The canals from Grassy Pond to Cypress Pond have been cleared of trees hurricane Michael put down. Carp barriers didn't appear to be on, just a flashing light to mark the structure at night. it only took almost five years to see this done. The weather was calm, but the boat traffic wasn't. If it was a bass tournament, it appeared they do more riding than fishing. I don't like fishing on weekends, but that's the only days my fishing partners have off.

talisman

i think the rain and cold front shut the fish down from biting saturday and looks like we got a few inches of rain last night and colder weather coming so fishing probably going to be messed up again

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The bite is off, and Seminole is low again. Cool and breezy, I'll wait for better days to go again.

talisman

Fl turkey season opens saturday and they calling for rain and wind then cold so it will probably mess up the weekend