Clubs are staying Full !

Bud Man

I was in a club with 1,800 acres for 30 years, finally pulled the plug bought my own acreage of 60, have never looked back, the 60 acres of hunting is way more rewarding than the lease price I was paying. Fortunate enough to be able to lease an adjoining 250 acres with one other person who owns property on the backside of it. We have a great relationship with the landowner, first right of refusal for purchase if it ever was to go for sale in writing, all I can suggest to anybody dissatisfied with leasing and fear of losing it is to save your money and buy your own. There's no piece of land too small. You may have to adjust your hunting style but it is way more rewarding. Don't look at the cost of the lease only, look at the expenses to and from and all attached expenses and weigh them versus the cost of your own land. Good luck to everyone in their future endeavors

Long Cut

The reality of owning land has been rapidly dwindling. The amount of Out of State and Corporate money buying timber & farmland has gotten out of hand. I’m seeing $5-15k per acre for rural land in the 10-150 acre parcel size.

Public Land is great, but the pressure is beginning to increase rapidly as guys are leaving & losing leases faster than ever before.

ucfireman

hey said they were tired of dealing with us and the guy was so impressed with our stands and food plots.
I hate to say this but I don't think those food plots would be left in good shape after a comment like that . And I know there would not be any tree stands left, or maybe the tree they were attached to, had to cut them to get my stands.
Petty but things said like that get to me.
I believe it has doubled in the last few years.
Tax assessor probably thinks 4x.

Hawken2222

I purchased my own place in 2020 and I haven’t looked back. I am also still in a lease that I only use for turkey hunting. I hate to be a doom and gloom guy but the writing has been on the wall for at least the last thirty years now. Social media and YouTube influencers have only hindered access for hunters who actually care about conservation and wildlife management. While I realize this isn’t feasible for everyone, my suggestion is to buy ground or get some buddies and pool your resources to buy a place.

Buford_Dawg

I've lost numerous properties thru the last 25 years due to various reasons, most noted in this thread. I am about to retire and have already decided once I loose my current hunting opportunities, I will be done with hunting private land here in GA. Will spend more time fishing and golfing and just maybe every once in a while venture to another state for a paid hunt for a nice buck. Private land and leases is a premium nowadays and once you lose it the ability to find another property is slim to none.

MYRX

I agree with most of the comments. A couple of years ago, I lost a very nice club with 1200 acers because our Oglethorpe government decided it was ok to allow a solar farm that has turned into a mess and now regretful decision. But, I will skip the politics. (I was very lucky to immediately find another club within three miles with almost 800 acers and 7 members).

Regarding the price to hunt and yes it is increasing and when you retire you will be even more concerned. Especially if you maintain food plots and do supplemental feeding all year. So the choice id to pay more, or increase membership, which isn't our clubs goals.

But, play golf five days a week and see what it cost you. Golf clubs cost more than what most spend on a rifle. (I know I played golf and took customers to golf courses for years). Then I retired and gave it up.

Take up Bass Fishing. Price a new bass boat, get all the new electronics, get 15 new rod and reels. Then rebuild a motor that you blew running 75MPH on the lake. (ask me how I know) LOL.

I think we do live in some difficult and changing times. And unless you are well-off, you will end up making priority decisions how to spend your money on your hobbies. Now days I budget my hunting cost. I quit golf, and have decided my older Trition boat must make it till I can't fish.

Like Buford Dawg mentioned, I thought about doing guided trips both hunting and fishing and just letting my club go and selling my fishing boat and equipment. Well, guided fishing trips, and hunting trips are not cheap either. So guess I will enjoy what the Creator has provided me and be satisfied.

bilgerat

Senior
As I posted this on here before , my old club thought we were never gonna loose our lease.. We had been leasing the same property from the same family for almost 50 years. We were treated almost like family and considered the owners good friends . We had a great relationship with them and one day I got the call a club prez never wants to get . The property was sold and we had 30 days to get our stuff and leave! All we had left was 49 years of great memories. For those who have been in the same club for years count your blessings and make every moment count cause it could be gone tomorrow . I was lucky and bought my own small tract of land only 5 miles from the old club property and love it but It’s not the same as being in a good club. I miss the deer camp atmosphere and having good times around the camp fire with good friends.
And ll add that land prices have doubled since I bought my property 4 n a half years ago so loosing the club lease was a good thing cause I prob would have never bought my own land if it had not happened .

Last edited:

Buckman18

Its a matter of supply and demand.

Georgia, unfortunately, is filling up with yankee transplants. We're among the top tier states now in regards to human population, and one of the fastest growing states. Some of these folks hunt.

Also, Georgia charges an incredibly low fee for non res hunting licenses. We have lots of hunters coming down from NC and up from FL.

The net result is less land available to lease, and more money required to lease it. Blows my mind how some folks think all this 'growth' is making life better for those of us who were born and raised here?

Jim Boyd

I was in a club with 1,800 acres for 30 years, finally pulled the plug bought my own acreage of 60, have never looked back, the 60 acres of hunting is way more rewarding than the lease price I was paying. Fortunate enough to be able to lease an adjoining 250 acres with one other person who owns property on the backside of it. We have a great relationship with the landowner, first right of refusal for purchase if it ever was to go for sale in writing, all I can suggest to anybody dissatisfied with leasing and fear of losing it is to save your money and buy your own. There's no piece of land too small. You may have to adjust your hunting style but it is way more rewarding. Don't look at the cost of the lease only, look at the expenses to and from and all attached expenses and weigh them versus the cost of your own land. Good luck to everyone in their future endeavors

Incredibly well said.

Jim Boyd

As I posted this on here before , my old club thought we were never gonna loose our lease.. We had been leasing the same property from the same family for almost 50 years. We were treated almost like family and considered the owners good friends . We had a great relationship with them and one day I got the call a club prez never wants to get . The property was sold and we had 30 days to get our stuff and leave! All we had left was 49 years of great memories. For those who have been in the same club for years count your blessings and make every moment count cause it could be gone tomorrow . I was lucky and bought my own small tract of land only 5 miles from the old club property and love it but It’s not the same as being in a good club. I miss the deer camp atmosphere and having good times around the camp fire with good friends.
And ll add that land prices have doubled since I bought my property 4 n a half years ago so loosing the club lease was a good thing cause I prob would have never bought my own land if it had not happened .

Congrats on the purchase!

shdw633

Georgia, unfortunately, is filling up with yankee transplants. We're among the top tier states now in regards to human population, and one of the fastest growing states. Some of these folks hunt.

Also, Georgia charges an incredibly low fee for non res hunting licenses. We have lots of hunters coming down from NC and up from FL.

The net result is less land available to lease, and more money required to lease it. Blows my mind how some folks think all this 'growth' is making life better for those of us who were born and raised here?
This^^^^^

With more and more people moving to the southeast, competition for hunting space and the pressure that comes with it will only increase. I have been fortunate to have found the lease I'm on and have been on for over a decade, but like many have said on here, it's only a matter of time before that can all change, so I take it one year at a time. Should I lose the lease I have no intentions of getting back on another one because at that point I will either do guided hunts or just a couple of public land hunts in the midwest. I am always looking for land to buy, but right now it's off the chart as far as price, but that too may change.

furtaker

It blows my mind too man. It bothers me what this state is becoming.

It all boils down to greed. Some people will do anything for the almighty dollar and don't see any value in anything else. There won't be anywhere left to hunt but we'll have plenty of EV battery plants, restaurants, shopping malls, and houses 10 feet apart. :rolleyes:

SlipperyHill Mo

I am pretty sure the Sky Is Not Falling, as chicken little said. Hunting clubs are not the 'devil". Some may be, but most aren't

Over the last 30+ years I have received more enjoyment from the "club" part versus the deer killing part. 27 years ago me and buddy of mine leased 300 acres for me, him and his sons. I then bought a 100 acres with a small cabin. He and I hunted a year or two with that setup. One night he and I were sitting by the fire talking and we decided we had all of each others stories and needed some new blood. We had had guests and enjoyed them but were pretty bored when we were not out of the woods. We started asking more guest and then members and the enjoyment rose exponentially. We were having a good time but other people made it better.

Over the years, we leased more land and had more members. Then less. We had some drama and still do a little.

Currently we lease or own 5 tracts, one private tract the others timber companies. All within 15 minutes of camp. From 80 to 192 acres. The larger tract is for sale. We have had one lease fror 24 years, 80 acres, and it has been one of the best. We are not hunting the same deer. Variety if the spice of life.

My opinion is the less rules the better, the main one is "Don't be a Jerk". That resolves most issues.

In addition, I do not "hate" the deers like I used to. It is no longer about just killing

If I owned 1000 acres of prime deer habitat with an unlimited budget, and hunted with only 2 friends, I would NOT enjoy it nearly as much as being in a club!

Quite a few deer hunters are narcissists. It is all about them! They do NOT make good members. You know who they are.

Reverend Jim B., I like your perspective

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I really can't complain here, 18K acres that didn't break the bank, a buddy got me on a BIG QDM club for my birthday for a little dog training, 4 small private places, plus thousands if acres of public.

No drama, just good times.

Jim Boyd

I am pretty sure the Sky Is Not Falling, as chicken little said. Hunting clubs are not the 'devil". Some may be, but most aren't

Reverend Jim B., I like your perspective

I say let’s just love one another and be kind to those around us.

I do know this - clubs are generally not the devil (as you noted) but being the leader of the club comes with it’s very own set of problems.

While it is not a thankless job, there are times it is very trying.

I have zero in life to complain about but if there is a frustrating part of club life, it is the near zero discretionary effort that many folks put out (or don’t put out in this case).

But…. Many is the day in the seat of a John Deere, cold beer in hand and the sun shining down….. as I watch the dirt torn over - and smell the fresh earth…. I know I am one of the luckiest men alive.

I am glad @SlipperyHill Mo that you used the word perspective because that is PRECISELY what it is.

turkeykirk

I hunt about 150 acres of private land. I’m amazed at the number of people who call the land owner wanting to lease or hunt it. Guess they get the info off of the hunting apps.

ucfireman

Will spend more time fishing and golfing and just maybe every once in a while venture to another state for a paid hunt for a nice buck.
May be cheaper and you can hunt a different place each year.
To each their own
Blows my mind how some folks think all this 'growth' is making life better for those of us who were born and raised here?
Yep, HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wish they would all leave, they probably will in 20-30 years after they have destroyed all the trees and beauty we had. Leave us with falling down neighborhoods (hoods) and the the trash left behind.