Hog killing, would you consider this unethical?

Jody Hawk

Leaving my club the other morning I saw where someone had killed a pretty good size boar feral hog and just threw him out at the dead end of our dirt road. I got there right after they dumped him out. This brings me to my question, suppose someone has feral hogs, wants them off their land but doesn't care for the meat, lets say for instance they are worried about disease associated with feral hogs. Would you consider just shooting them and leaving them unethical? I was raised that you either eat or give away to someone who will eat, whatever you kill. :huh:

shadow2

this could get good. It is a touchy subject. If i am not mistaken some states strongly encourge all pigs to be shot on the spot no questions asked. I need to think a bit longer on this one. I can see both sides of the storey.

BAMA HUNTER

this could get good. It is a touchy subject. If i am not mistaken some states strongly encourge all pigs to be shot on the spot no questions asked. I need to think a bit longer on this one. I can see both sides of the storey.

But you should eat them. If your not going to eat them dont shoot them.

hevishot

Banned
heck no...hogs are varmits! Eat it, give it away, throw it in the ditch..as long as its dead-who cares? With that said, every one I kill is eatin' by my family or given away....

Buzz

I see them as a varmint and I'd shoot them whenever I had the chance. I don't eat YOTES either...

Mac

heck no...hogs are varmits! Eat it, give it away, throw it in the ditch..as long as its dead-who cares? With that said, every one I kill is eatin' by my family or given away....

My feelings have recently changed.

I have taken about a dozen pigs of the barrier island. Enjoyed the hunt and cleaned and ate them all.

This Summer, I had some pigs move into our area and totally destroy my foodplots. Lots of money and time.

Just set a trap and would not care how those pest were removed.

ALLBEEF

I think if someone just shoots anything just to kill it - is morally wrong - SOMEONE would have been glade to take that hog! We had hogs come in on our farm here a few yrs ago and I killed several - I didn't eat all of the ones that I shot - but alot of my family and friends did!
I love to hunt as good as anyone of you here - but if I shoot it - you can bet somebody is gonna eat it!

Don't get me wrong - When I was in high school I would shoot most anything just to watch it fall - but in the last 10yrs. - I have grown up and realized that was just plain wrong - I'm pertty sure I have been forgiven for those actions.
Anyway - HECK YEAH IT WAS WRONG !!

Just 1 More

I think if someone just shoots anything just to kill it - is morally wrong - SOMEONE would have been glade to take that hog! We had hogs come in on our farm here a few yrs ago and I killed several - I didn't eat all of the ones that I shot - but alot of my family and friends did!
I love to hunt as good as anyone of you here - but if I shoot it - you can bet somebody is gonna eat it!

Don't get me wrong - When I was in high school I would shoot most anything just to watch it fall - but in the last 10yrs. - I have grown up and realized that was just plain wrong - I'm pertty sure I have been forgiven for those actions.
Anyway - HECK YEAH IT WAS WRONG !!

It has nothing to do with killing just for the sake of killing... it's eradication.. hogs are vermin.. they destroy properties.. why do you tyhink you can get permits that allow you to kill them over bait, at night with lights. or any other way you see fit

ALLBEEF

I don't care if they do give permits - IT IS STILL WRONG- give the meat away - we had the same problem on our farm - but we fed the neighbors!

Buzz

Where does it stop AllBeef? Is it wrong to kill rats that infest your barn? I also see hogs as vermin. Like I said earlier, I will also blast any coyote I see because they are a pest as well. I sure don't see anyone calling for the eating of them.

Just 1 More

I don't care if they do give permits - IT IS STILL WRONG- give the meat away - we had the same problem on our farm - but we fed the neighbors!

Tell ya what i'll do... I'll drop them in the nearest roadside ditch then come one here and post where they are and anyone who wants them can have them.. It's not like we have a line of people waiting at the corner for us to kill one. :rolleyes:
So far, we have not "ditched" one..... YET... every hog we have killed has gone to Barlow's to be made in to sausage. :bounce:

gahoghntr

if you dont want them on your land let someone trap them or dog them i am sure there is someone who would do be more than willing to hunt them for you. but the way it usually goes some people cant stand a hog on there property but when you tell them you can help them they tell you no thats allright we just shoot em and leave them. so if you still decide to throw them in a ditch , whatever then, just remember there is someone out there that would gladly take the meat if you offered it to them.

Just 1 More

if you dont want them on your land let someone trap them or dog them i am sure there is someone who would do be more than willing to hunt them for you. but the way it usually goes some people cant stand a hog on there property but when you tell them you can help them they tell you no thats allright we just shoot em and leave them. so if you still decide to throw them in a ditch , whatever then, just remember there is someone out there that would gladly take the meat if you offered it to them.

It's all about TRUST when it comes to allowing hog doggers on your lease property. 1st there is the liability. Then there is the group of hog doggers that you give permission to one time and then they think that because you are not there, they can come and go as they please.. running their dogs anytime they want.... you know.. give them an inch and they take everything. no thanks

hevishot

Banned
folks...these are varmits! People saying its wrong have not been affected by hogs...plain and simple...and as far as the hog dog crowd...been there, tried that...gave two groups permission to catch on my property, with the crystal clear understanding that all hogs caught would be killed before they left my farm....pulled in to my farm late one night while they were pullin' out...they acted like they didnt see me and kept driving. I came flying up on em and got em to pull over...they had 4 LIVE hogs in the back of the truck...did some checkin' around and found out they had just been going right around the corner and letting the hogs loose...so they would still have hogs to hunt. No thanks!