A lucky Guy

F14Gunner

F14Gunner,

I just checked the manual that came with my BP revolver. The max Black Powder load for a .44 Revolver with a standard cylinder (not a Walker model) is 35 grains of FFFg. If using Pyrodex the max charge is 28 grains.
Also, after reading your post, it states that you were using a "standard .44 ball". For a .44 caliber BP pistol you should be using .451"-.454" balls or conicals. Just wanted to know.
I also went back and read it again with my glass on in the light this time and it does say 35 gr, which I was using the balls are .451". I also have some conicials that are .453" which I not or did not get a chance to fire. The way the barrel split it appears there may have been a flaw in the casting. Who know's for sure, either way no one was hurt and I am getting a replacement.

Bill Mc

Ouch. glad you weren't in a gunfight.

Luke_M

I also went back and read it again with my glass on in the light this time and it does say 35 gr, which I was using the balls are .451". I also have some conicials that are .453" which I not or did not get a chance to fire. The way the barrel split it appears there may have been a flaw in the casting. Who know's for sure, either way no one was hurt and I am getting a replacement.

In this case, I'd say you were very lucky.

Luke

F14Gunner

Got a call from Cabels last evening. Seems the barrel had a flaw in it. When xrayed they could see the flaw, Picture are being sent to me for review.

Luke_M

Got a call from Cabels last evening. Seems the barrel had a flaw in it. When xrayed they could see the flaw, Picture are being sent to me for review.

Well it's nice to know that they will perform when that hot of a load. Don't think I'm gonna put it to the test, but nice to know that it will work.

Pssst, I'd let the load rate be a Woody's secret.

Latest posts