World Record LM?????

Bear 75

I was reading over on bassfan and ran across where the World Record bass in Japan was cought on live bait. It said he was trolling through a canal with bream. Curious to your thoughts on the pending world record being cought on live bait versus artifical, do you think it should compete for the record or no?

Trizey

I have no problem with it, other than coming from Japan.

I know that Bob Crupi has a couple of 20+lb giants that came on crawdads.

Cletus T.

I agree…..I don’t see anything wrong with catching it on live bait…..I just wish Georgia still stood alone at the top of the list but oh well……it was just a matter of time and it will probably be only a matter of time too before Cali. Weighs one in that breaks the record. Now that Dottie has died you know there is a large lipp swimming out west that is just waiting to become famous!!!!

Red Man

Live bait or artificial. Doesn't really matter. As long as it was cought and not trapped or limb lined.

shoalbass

Bear75, go back and read the article again. It did not say the fish was caught on live bait it said it was caught on a BB BOOOMMM:cool:

Lightninrod

NO on a live bait-caught, world record Bass! I skim right over the 10+ lb Bass pics in the back of the Bassmaster magazine if they were caught on live bait. They don't count in my book.

F

Flathead-Hunta

So whats the latest on that? Did it get accepted by the IGFA?

Bugpac

How many kids and dads on a Sunday outing are using shakey heads and bull shads, Live bait is every what exceptable as any other thing... If you caught the world record large mouth on a minner would you say it doesn't count? I guess every other world record fish needs to be discredited as well, not to many wernt caught on live bait ill bet...

K80

Not counting live bait is foolish. Fishing is fishing...

alexmlane

No to the live bait for "the world record bass" but I dont have as much of an issue with that except for that he caught the fish in an off limit area. Bassmasters had a good article in the current issue about this.

Bugpac

if you're talking to me, the issue of catching a world record bass on a "minner" isn't relevant, as i wouldn't be using one....also, i believe this thread was talking about the world record BASS....

live bait for kids is one thing....but, let's be real....catching bass consistently on artificial bait is much more of a challenge and requires considerably more skill that chunking a "minner" out on a bobber and watching it....

if others choose to use it, that's their choice.....but, like LR and bow_hunter, it's not the least bit significant to me...

Im pointing towards the nay sayers of the live bait in general... My thought is not everyone is a pro bass fisherman, some dads go and buy poles and take there kids fishing on the spurt of the moment and buy some minners along the way... Should they not be able to catch a world record fish, because they are not dedicated BASS fisherman? I am not trying to start a war between any members, Just my take on it... I dont use live bait myself to fish BASS, Because they cost money, and dont have much life span... If someone had minnows in the pail I wouldn't hesitate to tie one on tho...

Bugpac

Heck, maybe it should count unless its taken with no fish finder, a cane pole, and a row boat either, same difference isn't it?

Bugpac

I agree…..I don’t see anything wrong with catching it on live bait…..I just wish Georgia still stood alone at the top of the list but oh well……it was just a matter of time and it will probably be only a matter of time too before Cali. Weighs one in that breaks the record. Now that Dottie has died you know there is a large lipp swimming out west that is just waiting to become famous!!!!

Castiac lake California has produced a 25 lb fish, it wasn't submitted because of some illegit hookup... good article on it wrapped with the Perry fish from 32...

http://www.mrlurebox.com/GeorgePerryBass.htm

robuga

Live bait or artificial. Doesn't really matter. As long as it was cought and not trapped or limb lined.

I totally agree,which don't get me wrong I love to run limb hooks and jug fishing but I don't think it should be marked as a record if caught that way.But sure is fun doing that way also!

Bear 75

When I wrote the question I was simply curious to where we stand. I don't dislike the record being broken, the fish came from the Florida strain so it will always be an American fish record! I sit back and think of two people fishing: one with a shiner or bream, and the other with a artifical lure on the line and think about what the knowledge level is, what the effort is, and the constant effort that is required to the artifical lure user.

I had an Biology teacher in school that would put a 14' shinner on six poles stick them in rod holders on his dock and go in the house and watch them. To me that is no where near "sporting", but it would count as a record.

I guess this is simular to the baiting and non-baiting to hunters. I know the record is listed as the all tackle bass record. Another question is: can a bream be considered tackle or is it bait?

Maybe the guys in Calafornia will start tieing on 6/0 hooks and 12-16 inch trout and we will get the record back in no time?

If the 25 lber in Calafornia can't be counted for the record because of being fouled hooked! Then a person sitting in a lawn chair with a buckett of shinners that catches a record should not count as well.

My reason is this, if the records say the fish can not be fouled hooked the there making a judgement under "is it a sporting way to catch that record". If we hold that same standard to the " is live bait sporting enough to count" then my answer is no it should not.

On the same note it is listed as the all tackle so I want to see how they observe it as being tackle?

Im not saying live bait fishing wrong, just that it should not count for a record.

Look at hunting again: In some states you can hunt from a enclosed "high fenced area". Your record will not stand as a record in Boone & Crockett, but it is still a legal way of hunting in that state. I hope the same will apply, because the comparision in fishing the two different methods as way different.

fwhitaker

Who says the world record has anything to do with skill??? The only thing that counts is, what size line did you use (There is your skill). Secondly, did you hook them in the mouth, meaning did you actually catch the fish and not snag it it. Thats it, everything else is PURE LUCK, that a big bruiser happened to be holding in that hole, rather than a few smaller ones.

SELFBOW

I accept it as the World Record.
GA still has the USA record...

No problems with how it was caught, it's all fishing...