World Record LM?????

Bear 75

Who says the world record has anything to do with skill??? The only thing that counts is, what size line did you use (There is your skill).

Size line don't matter when it's listed as "all tackle"

Secondly, did you hook them in the mouth, meaning did you actually catch the fish and not snag it it. Thats it, everything else is PURE LUCK, that a big bruiser happened to be holding in that hole, rather than a few smaller ones.

Luck, Wow, fishing must have no skill involved, putting yourself around the largest fish in a fishery man that is some luck.

KVD, Ike, Skeet, there is some luck. All year long there lucky. For 10, 12 ,14 seasons there lucky. Man I'm glad they don't work, there just lucky.

bow_hunter125

Who says the world record has anything to do with skill??? The only thing that counts is, what size line did you use (There is your skill). Secondly, did you hook them in the mouth, meaning did you actually catch the fish and not snag it it. Thats it, everything else is PURE LUCK, that a big bruiser happened to be holding in that hole, rather than a few smaller ones.

I honestly hope your kidding. :banginghe

kbswear

Looks like we have a debate on our hands....can we include fishing with politics and religions as far as topics we dont discuss lol....i love a debate so i'm not complaining.

I agree with some on this thread that for me a big bass caught on live bait just dont "count" in my book. It takes much more skill and experience to catch bass on artificial baits. I also agree with Tim on the private water catches. I feel anyone can fish a 5-15 acre pond and do very well. There is not too many places a fish can hide in water that small.

As far as the luck comment. The only time luck might be an issue is when you throw your ARTIFICIAL bait in an area where a monster is lurking. But if you think about it all bass fisherman are fishing for lunkers, so the luck is not in the skill but could play a very small factor in the location.

Bass fishing is based on experience and knowledge 99.9% of the time......yes, sometimes someone might get lucky and we can hate them for that if they are not avid bass fisherman. I dont really hate them but you get what i'm saying.

Who says the world record has anything to do with skill??? The only thing that counts is, what size line did you use (There is your skill). Secondly, did you hook them in the mouth, meaning did you actually catch the fish and not snag it it. Thats it, everything else is PURE LUCK, that a big bruiser happened to be holding in that hole, rather than a few smaller ones.

wow....really???:rofl::crazy:

j_seph

I would bout beat u money that if u knew what u were doing with artifical bait and u and I were to go fishing togather and I used live bait u would probally out catch me at least 5:1. When I go out to catch bait for let's say striper fishing, I put as much time and effort into catching bait and then knowing how, where to fish it for the best opportunity. I see nothing any less sporting a out then the one out there casting a piece of plastic

K80

So yall mean to tell me that if some 8 year old kid is fishing on the bank with a minnow and catches a 30lb bass it should not be a record because he is not some bass master with a $50,000 boat and fishing with the latest and greatest tackle on the market?

K80

I would bout beat u money that if u knew what u were doing with artifical bait and u and I were to go fishing togather and I used live bait u would probally out catch me at least 5:1. When I go out to catch bait for let's say striper fishing, I put as much time and effort into catching bait and then knowing how, where to fish it for the best opportunity. I see nothing any less sporting a out then the one out there casting a piece of plastic

I agree.

Why do yall think folks started making baits to begin with? ding ding ding, to make fishing easier not harder.

CardsFan

Luck, Wow, fishing must have no skill involved, putting yourself around the largest fish in a fishery man that is some luck.

KVD, Ike, Skeet, there is some luck. All year long there lucky. For 10, 12 ,14 seasons there lucky. Man I'm glad they don't work, there just lucky.

Deep breaths, Rusty! Fwithaker didn't say fishing for greenies requires no skill. He said,...

Who says the world record has anything to do with skill???

He's got a good point there. Consider two things:

1) How many of the top pro guys in the country have caught a world record largemouth?

2) Do you think George Perry and the dude in Japan had (or have) 1/2 the lm fishing skills than a good portion of the lm fishermen who post in this very forum?

Nobody said having skill won't increase your chances of catching a world record (and you can apply that to any species), but it seems to me if you're talking about catching a world record, there's a heck of a lot of luck involved. Being in the right place at the right time seems to be a big part of it as well.

stuckonquack

if it does take much skill using live bait then why not work smarter not harder and use live bait
i went to a resivoir and caught a 11lb9oz lm on a red breast bream with a 5 ought gamagatsu hook just chunking it to the bank with a slow retrieve should have i not mounted it then

WPTC

Banned
He should be locked up:D....the only ethical way is to spear them

bow_hunter125

When I go out to catch bait for let's say striper fishing, I put as much time and effort into catching bait and then knowing how, where to fish it for the best opportunity. I see nothing any less sporting a out then the one out there casting a piece of plastic

When your live bit is sitting in the water, you are not controlling the action that it makes to entice a fish to bite it. When using artificial bait, the angler is controlling this action through twitching, rod stiffness, etc etc. Sure it may be harder to get live bait if it isn't bought, but when it comes down to the actual action of enticing a fish in, there is no comparison.

For the record, I am not bashing live bait or live bait fisherman at all! I'm glad to see others out there fishing whether live or artificial. I use it in saltwater and on the very rare occasion crappie. Just throwing my opinion in the mix.

Cletus T.

Everybody just cool out………………cool out!!! I’m going to break the World Record next spring and I’m going to catch it off a hand made lizard looking bait called “The Wolfman’s Brother” It’s going to be sooooo awesome! I can’t wait!!!

CardsFan

Everybody just cool out………………cool out!!! I’m going to break the World Record next spring and I’m going to catch it off a hand made lizard looking bait called “The Wolfman’s Brother” It’s going to be sooooo awesome! I can’t wait!!!

Want to keep everyone in this thread happy, Cletus? Make half out of plastic, the other half out of a real live squirming lizard!

And BTW, I want to shoot the video so I can get a piece of the zillion dollar pie you're going to rake in.

Cletus T.

You got it Lee……we will be millionaires and we will build our very own pond and you will be able to drive your jet boat at mach 9 speed and there will be a 37 foot high rope swing and oh yeah…….there will be big fat bass scattered all through the pond!

It’s going to be amazing.

Cletus T.

And for the record…….I know I’m joking around a little here. I still think a record is a record and I do think it takes skill in both artificial and live bait fishing….it just may take a little more in artificial.

I like to fish…………………..period. Whether it is with plastics or a shiner!

CardsFan

You got it Lee……we will be millionaires and we will build our very own pond and you will be able to drive your jet boat at mach 9 speed and there will be a 37 foot high rope swing and oh yeah…….there will be big fat bass scattered all through the pond!

It’s going to be amazing.

The pond has to have a small island dry enough to build a big fire. We'll jump it in the jetboat. Sounds like Camelot to me!

Bugpac

Looks like we have a debate on our hands....can we include fishing with politics and religions as far as topics we dont discuss lol....i love a debate so i'm not complaining.

I agree with some on this thread that for me a big bass caught on live bait just dont "count" in my book. It takes much more skill and experience to catch bass on artificial baits. I also agree with Tim on the private water catches. I feel anyone can fish a 5-15 acre pond and do very well. There is not too many places a fish can hide in water that small.

As far as the luck comment. The only time luck might be an issue is when you throw your ARTIFICIAL bait in an area where a monster is lurking. But if you think about it all bass fisherman are fishing for lunkers, so the luck is not in the skill but could play a very small factor in the location.

Bass fishing is based on experience and knowledge 99.9% of the time......yes, sometimes someone might get lucky and we can hate them for that if they are not avid bass fisherman. I dont really hate them but you get what i'm saying.

And a 45000 dollar boat, with a 1500 dollar side finder sonar, and 300.00 rod reel combos... To me that fish finder just reduced the skill level a whole bunch... :D

kbswear

This discussion will be on going for a while lol....There are three opinions here....

1. must use artificial bait (this one gets my vote)
2. using live bait is just as difficult and should be counted
3. those who dont care either way

I kinda understand your way of thinking about the expensive bass boat, sonars and rod and reel combos. But do either of these 3 things actually catch fish????? Or do they have any thing to do with knowing how to fish an artificial lure???

I have a 12 y/o 17' Stratos, not a 45k boat in the least bit.
I also have one graph......that hasnt worked in a year.
And none of my rod and reel combos cost me over $100.

I still do fairly well if you have ever seen the pics i post. It doesnt take all the fancy stuff to catch fish because THINGS dont actually catch fish, experience does.. Even if my graph did work, all its gonna do is show the bottom and maybe fish, but that doesnt mean the fish are biting.

Heck, if i could afford all the finer things i would also have them! Does it mean i'll catch more and bigger bass, imo no.

Bradley_G

Here's my thoughts: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

More importantly above all things in catching a fish is WHERE you cast. you can cast a 50 dollar swimbait or a live bait all day where the fish aren't and you wont catch anything. Those guys wouldn't have caught their fish if they didnt cast where they did, as well as the fish being in that area. Landing the fish was most likely the highest level of skill involved.

As for the live bait has no place in bass fishing, I completely disagree. It was how fishing started. As was stated in previous posts, it more about location than anything. What about all those baits out there that have fish attractants and pheromones in them. That seems more like a genetically altered bait used to catch fish....<--(that ought to get some good debate).

I rarely bass fish, and dont really care either way about it, but I would venture out to say that most catches are on caught on instinctual strikes than anything, real or plastic.
I certainly Dont like to see the closed minded posts about how a certain method should not count because it is more natural or it is "harder" to catch a big fish.
big fish get big by eating fish, and it seems to me that a smarter way to get a big fish is to present to them something they actually eat. and its usually way cheaper too. Why make things hard and expensive?

Here is my question to all those who thing records should not count on live bait.....
Why try and separate "Skill" from the sport? It's about fishing, not about how much you know about fishing.