Fishin the Hooch near 75/285

acoffman3

Just lookin for the best areas on the Hooch near 75/285 to fly fish, I'm off on spring break from Tech and haven't fished since I moved from Ohio. I would really love if there were some good trout spots around here too seeing that trout in Northern Ohio are real hard to get; not sure if just rainbows make it down this far or if brownies follow? And what other species are known in the area for fly fishing?

luv2drum

There are a few places to put in. There is a state park area where hwy 41 cross the hooch near 285. There is a spot near white water, I have not been there yet, but alot of folkssay it is a good spot. Check around on some of the older posts, there are several that list the specific spots and how to get to them.

Randy

You will find shoalies, smallmouth and largemouth bass down there along with bream and other sun fish. The trout will be further up.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I'm guessing you meant the north intersection of 75 and 285.

http://www.nps.gov/chat/index.htm and look at the map. Go fish any of the shoals in that area.

www.thefishhawk.com will have reports usually and water clarity/depth also posted under their "cool stuff" section. If it's high its tougher and I usually don't bother with it if it's not clear. I used to fish there all the time when I was at Tech, it's a quick drive to most of those spots. You will need 3 bucks to park at the parking areas. Fish it now before the water warms up too much for trout.

acoffman3

Thanks for all the tips, definately going to take advantage of the nice weather and time off school till Monday. How bout any suggestions for a good semi-starting out fly rod/reel combo? In my teens I use to fly fish all the time for bluegills/crappie and bass and I even tied my own flies for a few years. Seeing as this is more trout territory it's something I really want to get back in to.

centerpin fan

How bout any suggestions for a good semi-starting out fly rod/reel combo?

Here are four. All are around $100.

Bass Pro Hobbs Creek
Cabela's Three Forks
Redington Crosswater
Scientific Anglers

TFO rods are nice, too. I'd get an 8.5' or 9' 5wt.

If your budgets a little higher, stop by The Fish Hawk or the Orvis store in Buckhead.

jtcimp00

When I lived in Decatur, I used to sneak off and fish at Cochran shoals and I also tried Paces mill. If you're going during the week, then there should be no problem with crowding. I have caught 'em on just about anything. I was always told that black flies are common and that things like red zebra midges will work well as they match much of the natural forage in the lower hooch. Never tried a dry fly down there.

Doc_Holliday23

FYI, the Orvis Warehouse Sale is this weekend up at Gwinnett Center. They usually have pretty good deals on rods, or at least blanks that you can build on. It starts Friday and goes through Sunday. Check their website for more info and the earlier you go the better. Go Jackets!

acoffman3

I think Cochran Falls is where I was yesterday. And I'll definately be checking out the Orvis Warehouse sale, thanks for letting me know. And can someone explain the concept of the delayed harvest stream (lower Chattahoochee)? Ok so at one spot on the Georgia DNR website it says that trout fishing starts March 27th, but in another area of the website it says that on the lower Hooch (Delayed Harvest) you can only use artifical bait to catch trout between November-May. So are you allowed to use real bait, but just artificial if you are purposely fishing for trout? And being a Delayed Harvest stream does that effect when and how you are allowed to fish for other species? Sorry for all the questions but these rules are waaaay more complex then Ohio's.

huntfish

I think Cochran Falls is where I was yesterday. And I'll definately be checking out the Orvis Warehouse sale, thanks for letting me know. And can someone explain the concept of the delayed harvest stream (lower Chattahoochee)? Ok so at one spot on the Georgia DNR website it says that trout fishing starts March 27th, but in another area of the website it says that on the lower Hooch (Delayed Harvest) you can only use artifical bait to catch trout between November-May. So are you allowed to use real bait, but just artificial if you are purposely fishing for trout? And being a Delayed Harvest stream does that effect when and how you are allowed to fish for other species? Sorry for all the questions but these rules are waaaay more complex then Ohio's.

DH - Delayed Harvest. No bait allowed from 1 November till 15 May. All trout must be released. You can fish for other fish and keep them, but not trout. Might want to also check the consumption warnings on DNR web page and it's also in the reg books.

I'd be real careful about using bait for other fish. It would be hard to explain to the LEO that you were fishing with an UL spinning reel with worms targeting bream when the same set up is also used for trout.

acoffman3

Ok I understand, is that to give time for the trout to clear out once the water starts getting warmer? I'm not really planning on consuming any I'm pretty much a catch/release kinda guy. Up on Lake Erie all you need is a heavy sinker and a nice big worm and you'll catch huge cats and largemouth (bluegill/crappie/pumpkinseed if you use a bobber) all day and thats pretty much what I was planning on going for but I mean if it's illegal to be using worms right now then I'm going to have to make my parents overnight my fly gear and tying kit.

DH - Delayed Harvest. No bait allowed from 1 November till 15 May. All trout must be released. You can fish for other fish and keep them, but not trout. Might want to also check the consumption warnings on DNR web page and it's also in the reg books.

I'd be real careful about using bait for other fish. It would be hard to explain to the LEO that you were fishing with an UL spinning reel with worms targeting bream when the same set up is also used for trout.

boggs

also during the DH you have to use single hook lures. When i use to fish it i'd just buy cheap walmart knock off rooster tails and break off the other two hooks on the trebble hook.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
You will catch them on rooster tails but I've had better luck fly fishing.

huntfish

Ok I understand, is that to give time for the trout to clear out once the water starts getting warmer? I'm not really planning on consuming any I'm pretty much a catch/release kinda guy. Up on Lake Erie all you need is a heavy sinker and a nice big worm and you'll catch huge cats and largemouth (bluegill/crappie/pumpkinseed if you use a bobber) all day and thats pretty much what I was planning on going for but I mean if it's illegal to be using worms right now then I'm going to have to make my parents overnight my fly gear and tying kit.
If you are outside of the DH section, you can fish just like you described. As for trout clearing out? Stripers do a good job and the locals do to.

acoffman3

Yeah I understand it now. I went back to Cochran Shoals and ended up getting a ton of bites off a green chartreuse jig but I think the hook was a bit too big. Hopefully I'll have all my fly gear by next week, all these pictures on here of big bows and browns are making me jealous

p.s. And for the comment about the trout clearing out someone I was talking to at Cochran Shoals told me that once the water starts getting warmer they clear out of the area. Heck I'm not from the area not sure if this is true?

Last edited:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Yeah I understand it now. I went back to Cochran Shoals and ended up getting a ton of bites off a green chartreuse jig but I think the hook was a bit too big. Hopefully I'll have all my fly gear by next week, all these pictures on here of big bows and browns are making me jealous

p.s. And for the comment about the trout clearing out someone I was talking to at Cochran Shoals told me that once the water starts getting warmer they clear out of the area. Heck I'm not from the area not sure if this is true?

It's definately true. The river gets too hot and trout will die or move. You get some holdovers in the deeper holes though. They stock it pretty heavily every year to keep a decent population up. Thats when you switch to shoal bass fishing. You will hook into one fly fishing every now and then, they are a lot of fun.

luv2drum

It's definately true. The river gets too hot and trout will die or move. You get some holdovers in the deeper holes though. They stock it pretty heavily every year to keep a decent population up. Thats when you switch to shoal bass fishing. You will hook into one fly fishing every now and then, they are a lot of fun.

Yep the water gets warm enough that you can wade in shorts. That is definitely too warm for most trout.