It is

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
the muffled thud of rubber boots in unison on a dampened, leaf covered logging road in the dark and the sound of the breathing of old friends before each ventures off on his own trail to discovery and adventure.

It is the riot of color as the forest celebrates Summer’s passing and the advent of Fall.

It is the sighing of the wind through the tops of pine trees on a new moon fall evening.

It is the crackle of dry leaves as the lone squirrel shuffles across the forest floor on a still, windless late afternoon.

It is the rattle of the last fugitive leaves in the tops of the hardwoods against a cold north wind.

It is the feel of balanced blued steel and polished Walnut, connecting one to that ancient man that hefted the world’s first spear, and every brother hunter down through the ages.

It is the December moon on the leafless hardwood trunks, casting all the world into shades of silver, gray, and black by turn.

It is the mirth and laughter around the wood stove when old friends share the memories of times gone by, and hope for the days to come.

It is the Hunter’s Moon waxing high, announcing to the forest Man’s time as predator has come.

It is the laughter of water cascading across the rocks in the creek bottom on its’ way to the sea so far away.

It is the rosy glow of first light on the horizon trumpeting the coming of a new day, and the pastels of the evening sunset against cotton ball cumulus clouds, wishing all peace and farewell until the morrow.

It is young spikes cavorting and sparring under the White Oak.

It is the yip of the coyotes in the fields on a cool November evening.

It is Orion and the Big Dipper in a coal black Autumn sky.

It is the sound of pine boughs sliding over brushed cotton.

It is dawn on a winter morning, the leafless forest laid bare revealing life in sharp contrast.

It is the chatter and glee of darting children around the campfire.

It is fog, rising from the creek bottom below as day slowly loses sway and yields to night.

It is the solitude of the hours on stand, when time slows down so one can think, remember, reflect, and pray.

It is the echo of voices and dancing beams of light in the dark in search of downed prey.

It is the smile of the novice on his first success.

It is the gathering shadows at September’s days’ end.

It is the chill of the late fall wind under lead colored skies.

It is all these things, twisted and woven together, that form the slow deep rhythms of man’s oldest pursuit. I am drawn to them. They encircle my senses, capture my thoughts, and I am held thrall. I cannot resist, and willingly surrender.

Handgunner

Nice! Did you write that Elfiii?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yes I did. I've been thinking about it since the season ended.

ramsey

elfii- that is a great tribute to hunting and shows the weakness of many here who can not ,or will not testify to what hunting means to them. If you look at the earliest cave paintings, they illistrate in one or mutilple renditions of the hunt, the same feelings you potrtay."Forever"it has been this way.They had no rules, no regulations, they killed what their family needed.And where are the southern bison and passenger piegon now. There are gone.Sorry:offtopic: This is about"shuffiling boots before daylight"and the traditon we all share.You guys know who I am talking about. Who hasen't been on their first hunt?Cut your shirtail or smear blood on your face. Its all about being out here and becoming a member of the brotherhood. When hunting becomes "killing a deer with his nose in a pile of corn" I'll start hunting rats.

rip18

elfii -

Kudos & Bravo! I like that. I've got a piece somewhere on my home computer about a duck hunt earlier this year that I'll have to try & find...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The time draws nigh.

Meriwether Mike

I yearn to hone my senses to the pace of the forest once again. Great writing Elfii.

Headshot

Thanks for posting -- you got me thinking about late October / early November; Thanksgiving time; December hunts. Again, thanks for posting.

BIGABOW

wow elfii that reminds me l need to go see DIE HARD DOG!!!!
great read l'm glad l checked it out

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Delton said:
Nice! Did you write that Elfiii?
I wondered the same thing and then thought naaaaaaaaaa this is elflii and then I read where you did write it.
::ke:
I REALLY enjoyed it.:cool:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks Branch and everyone. After all the debate and hoopla is said and done, I figured it was a good thing to remind myself why I do it. Whether its' crossbows, recurves, compounds, semi-auto, bolt action, or whatever you choose, there are some fundamental things that appeal to us all and bind us all together.

I'm glad I connected with some here on this point.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Good writin` Elfiii.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
One more time, for the end of deer season.

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

Ol' Elfiii can do something besides stir pots !!!
Nice work, Elf !!!