How Do You Control Your Scent?

Jake Allen

If you would like to try and make some yourself, and save some money;

Ingredients for Homemade Scent Killer:

16 oz.. (2 cups) Peroxide (3%)

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

1/4 cup baking soda

1 oz. unscented shampoo (a good choice is H&S Scent-A-Way... the green stuff)

Mix in a large bowl (don't shake up in milk jug) so the baking soda dissolves. Once it's dissolved you can pour it into a milk jug.

Let sit for several days, so the chemical reaction settles down. During that time don't snap the cap on tight or shake the milk jug; it could explode.

georgia sportsman

So how many make their vehicles scent free on the inside? All the washing clothes and scent free showers then you get into your vehicle that is covered with your scent, fast food smells.

I wear rubber boots, which never see the inside of my truck, and I wear a Savanah series scent lok suit to my hunting spot then bag it.

I also avoid touching anything I can. Also, you are always going to be upwind of another deer trail. Without trying to be as scent free as posible, I might be alerting a monster that might have came by me on my trail the next day. Just because you don't see a deer wind you doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

hoythunter1861

Pack your clothes in a storage tote with some of those hunter's specialties earth scent wicks. Don't get dressed til you get to your hunting area. Rubber Boots help a whole lot. Make sure you bathe in some sort of scent-elimination soap. The number one thing of course though is to hunt the wind.

Also, I've heard of people's success (and seen a very large thread about it on Archery Talk) using a thing called "smoking". Pretty much all you do is cover yourself in wood smoke. Animals are used to smoke from forest fires, houses, etc... And especially if you burn your property, or are near a property that has been burned, that smoke smell stays there for a long time. I know I will be attempting this strategy this year

AlexTipton

a good way to test your scent killer spray is to put some deer pee on a cotton ball and squirt your scent away on it. if its good, you wont smell pee.

4winds

Save your money for ammo or arrows. NCHillbilly and Nicodemus are spot on. All the things you wash with stinks, your breath stinks, deoderant breaks down after sweating up a tree or stalking through the trees.

I used to be incredibly anal with my routine until the notion of it all made hunting a chore and no longer a pleasure.

Try to pay attention to the wind and just enjoy the woods whether you get skunked or not!

chardin2

I keep my clothes in a scent lock bag in the back of my truck until I get to my spot.
Anyone ever heard or making your own cover scent? Sounds difficult to me, but I read somewhere that you can do it.

Waxwing

Thanks for the imagery NCHillbilly

And for dragging folks by the ear back to the table of common sense.

I got a good chuckle outta that'n.

scottfmcclure

I use the best insect repelant money can buy,usually 100% Deet.
If the wind isn't in your favor you get busted no matter what you use IMO.

Killdee

That's pretty much it. Everything else is a gimmick. NChillbilly

Almost...a much better system than what the Injuns used, I highly recommend it and works on bees too....Been smoking up about 4 seasons now. A bag $2.00 of hickory chips last all season if I'm to lazy to pick up some by the farwood splitting block. Even had deer follow my smoked boots in to the stand and lick the ground on several occasions.:clap:

You dont have to buy theirs, its just a bee smoker but they have a good price on thisun.

Attachments

• 2012-02-04 15.28.06.jpg
    2012-02-04 15.28.06.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 910

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty much it. Everything else is a gimmick. NChillbilly

Almost...a much better system than what the Injuns used, I highly recommend it and works on bees too....Been smoking up about 4 seasons now. A bag $2.00 of hickory chips last all season if I'm to lazy to pick up some by the farwood splitting block. Even had deer follow my smoked boots in to the stand and lick the ground on several occasions.:clap:

You dont have to buy theirs, its just a bee smoker but they have a good price on thisun.

The cheaper, basic version of that is called: campfire. :cheers:

Killdee

The cheaper, basic version of that is called: campfire. :cheers:

Thats why its a better version than the campfire what the injuns used, I can drive to my hunting land, light the smoker and let it get burning good while I get my stuff out of the truck, smoother it, smoke my clothes, boots beard hair and equipment with a thick heavy smoke full of scent killing carbon, set the smoker down in my metal bucket and lid and strike out w/o worrying about a fire.:cheers: back at ya NHB

Cropslx

I don't go over board. I hunt the wind. I use scent free soap and wash clothes with baking soda. I put my clothes on when I get out of the truck to walk to stand.

Before I walk to the stand I will break off a limb from a cedar tree and hit it all over my clothes. The cedar oil gets on your clothes and you can definitely smell it. It is also FREE :D

The last year or so I have really been paying a close attention to the wind and has made a big difference for me. I also hunt as high as I can without affecting my view.

Good luck this year!!

ross the deer slayer

Play the wind big time during bow season and always use primos silver xp spray. Its like 15$ maybe 12$ for a lieter

miles58

Banned yankee
I do nothing.

Many, many times I have watched deer that could smell me go about their business without a twitch. If they are used to your presence in a place they do not care. Not even a little bit. If they scent your where they are not used to your presence, 99% of the time you will never know they were there.

They can see you and smell you and still be utterly unconcerned. Take it to the bank. Look at my avatar below. Under the doe in the middle is a deer looking at me taking a picture of the deer on the meat pole. That's the way deer are.

Attachments

• 100_1700-1-1.jpg
    100_1700-1-1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 876

MCBUCK

I think I am going to bottle up some Murray County Spring water, put it in a Windex sprayer bottle, put some green food coloring in it, and slap a label on it the reads, "Cohutta Scent Killer" and sell it for $8.99 a bottle....I would laugh all the way to an Alberta guided hunt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think I am going to bottle up some Murray County Spring water, put it in a Windex sprayer bottle, put some green food coloring in it, and slap a label on it the reads, "Cohutta Scent Killer" and sell it for $8.99 a bottle....I would laugh all the way to an Alberta guided hunt.

That's about what the scent killer companies do, so it should work for you too-it's a proven business model. :bounce: