Scent control (or lack there of)

DynamicDennis

This can be a hot button topic to some people. The more I hunt (Older I get), the less thought I put into scent control and more thought into stand placement. Not to ruffle any feathers but every time I watch a hunting show and see the lengths (and $) people go through to be "scent free" seems a little much. Having a scent free tote for the scent free bag, filled with scent free clothes and a little battery operated O2 dealy. All while hunting on premium properties with better than normal shot opportunities, and I myself go on 1-2 of these trips yearly so I am not envious. Obviously to each there own, and I am in no way trying to batter anyone for what they spend $ on. For the last couple seasons I have wiped down with cedar before going out, and I wash with scent free soap (clothes and body) that is as far as I go. Not that I am on the fence about trying any of this stuff, but has anyone really seen a difference using these products?

This is coming from someone that %100 recommends a HECS suit for Turkey Hunting, BTW

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
During season, I use scent free type soaps for laundry, showering and arm and hammer unscented deodorant. Might burn some leaves or something for smoke scent cover….may just be that it’s fun to do. No idea if it helps or not, but does help my confidence so there’s that.

The ozone thing? 100% believer seeing a drastic difference with 5 sits over 3 days…….100% believer! You can bet I’ll have mine, always!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Btw-my cousin in KY swears by the HECS Camo! I just looked at them online and it was interesting to see the add telling consumers DO NOT TREAT HECS with any Ozone type treatments.

6lbSledge

There sure would be a lot less to sell if it wasn’t for scent control and new camo patterns. I think it has a lot more to do with catching hunters and giving them confidence than doing anything for concealing you from animals. Of course same is true for most fishing lures. Movement is what gets me busted, and wind, whether I’ve been careful and in a full scent suit or not.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Hunters have actually bought these. And still carry them in their hunting bag. Nuff said..
02129100631_F

Browning Slayer

Everyone needs a butt out tool :rockon:
The stuff folks carry to a tree for a 4 hour sit just baffles me. I’ve seen hunting bags that are stuffed like an Expedition pack.

DynamicDennis

Pretty much what I have figured as well. I have not been busted in a tree in years, at least not a blowing type of busted. Obviously there are going to be times when deer will come from absolutely the wrong direction, then you just gotta be still and quiet. Was curious more than anything, and trying to get into deer hunting mode.

Whit90

This can be a hot button topic to some people. The more I hunt (Older I get), the less thought I put into scent control and more thought into stand placement. Not to ruffle any feathers but every time I watch a hunting show and see the lengths (and $) people go through to be "scent free" seems a little much. Having a scent free tote for the scent free bag, filled with scent free clothes and a little battery operated O2 dealy. All while hunting on premium properties with better than normal shot opportunities, and I myself go on 1-2 of these trips yearly so I am not envious. Obviously to each there own, and I am in no way trying to batter anyone for what they spend $ on. For the last couple seasons I have wiped down with cedar before going out, and I wash with scent free soap (clothes and body) that is as far as I go. Not that I am on the fence about trying any of this stuff, but has anyone really seen a difference using these products?

This is coming from someone that %100 recommends a HECS suit for Turkey Hunting, BTW

I would bet that most of the folks on these hunting shows would not use those products if they did not have a hunting show. Sponsorship is a business in itself. They get some type of incentive to indorse these products, they don't indorse them because they "believe in it". I have not used any type of sent control for 8-10 years. I am by no means a super consistent big buck slayer, but I seem to stumble into a good (in my terms) buck every year, and see deer consistently without sent control and without getting busted anymore than I would with sent control. Playing the wind the best you can is were its at, and its free!

Browning Slayer

Be still, Be quiet, and Be There...

Folks get so wrapped up about hunting moons and weather patterns and such and will not go into the woods unless "it's just right". I get in the woods every single chance I get. I've never sat at camp or home and "wondered" what if. If it wasn't for this thing called work, I would hunt every day of deer season. Rain or shine.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

humblehunter22

As previously stated I learned a while ago much to my benefit and ease on my bank account. The fact of the matter is it does not matter how many showers I take, what kind of foods I eat or abstain from prior to my excursions to the woods, the types of camo with "scent blocking or odor eliminating" technology it so called is designed with into the very fabrics of it, how much "scent eliminating or scent so called preventing spray I use before I step a foot one into the woods. All of the mentioned does not and never will amount to a hill of beans compared to the aspect of matters regarding the importance of stand placement, hunting the wind and thermals. I could go bury myself in a pile of freshly harvested pine straw from the woods and convince myself into believing I have the deer fooled to the letter but fact is if my hind end does not happen to be set up correctly according to the wind and thermals I might as well gear up to twiddle my thumbs and watch the squirrels and birds because the deer will surely know I am there without even having to come into the immediate area. I pour sweat like a stuck hog it just does not matter if it is blazing hot out 90 degrees humid as can be during the early part of bow season or in the dead of winter right on the heels of a cold snap 30 degrees and frosty out once I layer up I am bound to sweat somehow so I find it null and void to lather myself up with the detergents for my clothes, the shampoos for the shower, the deoderants or mouth spray this that etc.... I try to pay a bit more attention to my various weather apps and the weather reports before and during my hunts.