Tractor Size

Israel

BANNED
I recently moved to the "country" and have a few acres that will require mowing/bush hogging periodically. I may also be interested in doing a little garden before the season gets too far gone.
I've been looking at some tractors and a few I have been interested in are about 20 hp diesels (Seen a Yanmar that I like, a Kubota...etc)
Essentially the question is: as I watched a fellow I hired to do a first knock down with his Ford 3000 with 37 hp, I began to wonder if one of the smaller tractors is really gonna fit the bill. I understand going through stuff that is 4 foot high for the first time, is different than keeping stuff under a foot in height...but still wonder if these smaller machines will till as I'd hoped. I also hope to fit one with a finish mower to dipense with my imaginations of spending 3 grand on a zero turn to keep the lawn looking good.
Any and all input is welcome and look forward to the responses.
Somehow I never thought talking about 2/3/4 bangers would be so interesting and so much fun.

Huntinfool

I have a 27hp Deere and it runs a 60" finishing mower on the belly just fine. It also runs a 5' tiller without a problem.

That said, unless you live on a completely open pasture, don't operate under the dilusion that a tractor will do everything in terms of cutting grass. Your turn radius is WAY bigger with any size tractor than an actual dedicated mower.

I live on 6.5 acres and about 4 of it is grass. So I use the tractor to cut the bulk of it. But I still have to have my riding mower to finish up around and underneath trees and in tight spaces where the tractor simply isn't practical.

You don't need a zero turn. But you will likely still need some kind of "other" mower.

win280

I have a 27hp Deere and it runs a 60" finishing mower on the belly just fine. It also runs a 5' tiller without a problem.

That said, unless you live on a completely open pasture, don't operate under the dilusion that a tractor will do everything in terms of cutting grass. Your turn radius is WAY bigger with any size tractor than an actual dedicated mower.

I live on 6.5 acres and about 4 of it is grass. So I use the tractor to cut the bulk of it. But I still have to have my riding mower to finish up around and underneath trees and in tight spaces where the tractor simply isn't practical.

You don't need a zero turn. But you will likely still need some kind of "other" mower.

This^^^^^^^.

Core Lokt

I have a 17 hp kubota with a 4' bushhog and a 5' harrow (heavy duty and all most to big) and it is a bad little machine. I mow my yard grass (2.5ac) with a zero turn.

In a perfect world I'd like a compact 25-35 horse so I could use bigger implements

snuffy

I have a JD 850. I think it is around 23 HP. I mow the pastures ( around 10 acres) and also work my little garden. It does the job but the job would be MUCH easier with more HP. I have been looking for a tractor around 40 HP. or more.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Do yourself a favor and go for > 30 HP.;)

j_seph

Not sure how much your planning on gardening or bush hogging. We have and old 40 something 8N that has been bush hogging and digging foodplots going on 15 years or better now. Whole lot cheaper than a $25K tractor

Killdee

Not sure how much your planning on gardening or bush hogging. We have and old 40 something 8N that has been bush hogging and digging foodplots going on 15 years or better now. Whole lot cheaper than a $25K tractor

Yeah I have a 54 Ford Naa that works great for me. got about 3k in it 5' bushhog and and 1940s B-B harrow I do all my stuff with.A nice 30Hp diesel would be great but mine is fine for my purposes and paid for.

Israel

BANNED
Do yourself a favor and go for > 30 HP.;)

That's what I'm tending to think.
Thanks all. Am gleaning quite a bit here, so if anyone has more to add...I read your posts with pleasure.

Bilge Rat LT 20

Mowing a pasture/yard is one thing, bush hogging, tilling, planting, moving dirt in any manner you need 37hp minimum!

If you go smaller and start using it like a real tractor you will find out how much parts cost. Parts and repairs are about the same for 20 to 45hp tractors.

My 2355 JD with 55hp does everything and will go forever. It is a 1991.
If you try to pull stumps, use an endloader a lot or pull a round bale hay bailer you need even more tractor.

Look at prices first then HP. you will see anything 25 to 55 hp cost about the same as 75 to 90 hp in the same condition used.

The smaller tractors hold their value.

Plazadweller

Mowing a pasture/yard is one thing, bush hogging, tilling, planting, moving dirt in any manner you need 37hp minimum!

If you go smaller and start using it like a real tractor you will find out how much parts cost. Parts and repairs are about the same for 20 to 45hp tractors.

My 2355 JD with 55hp does everything and will go forever. It is a 1991.
If you try to pull stumps, use an endloader a lot or pull a round bale hay bailer you need even more tractor.

Look at prices first then HP. you will see anything 25 to 55 hp cost about the same as 75 to 90 hp in the same condition used.

The smaller tractors hold their value.

JD tractors regardless of hp hold their value extremely well

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
How many tractors do you plan to buy in your lifetime? You'll never be disappointed in a little more horsepower.

jesnic

I have been running a yanmar 1500D (4 wheel drive, 17hp) for about 10 years. I use it to disc up my garden, about 1/4 acre, and bush hog our deer lease and plant food plots. Been a great tractor. I never used a tiller on it because the disc just as good and is a little faster with multiple passes. It doesn't like to hog when the weeds and grass get 4-5 ft tall, but it works. After the initial cut, it maintains great and actual cuts faster than the Ford 3000. But I also use it in the woods, where the bigger tractor will not fit. Any small tractor will work, with the proper implements. Just takes a little longer. I love getting on my Yanmar. I use it as a way to get away from the everyday grind and I don't mind taking my time and enjoying it. I never look at tractor work as a chore, more like mental relaxation. I use the cub cadet for mowing the lawn. The tractor is more for field use.

LOVEMYLABXS

Israel as many have said you'll still probably need the lawn mower, watch out for tractors that say they are recondition from across the pond. A lot of these tractors were built for use in other countries and don't always meet US standards and parts for them can be hard to get and very spendy. These kind of tractors are know as "GRAY TRACTORS" .

As far as HP that will really depend on what your plans down the road might be. If you think you might get more land then bigger is better. From what I read it sounds like your talking maybe 10 ac or less to maintain and garden, a 30 HP or under will probably work especially since you are having someone knock it down first.

New or used will depend on your budget. Check with local dealers. I got my New Holland for around $17,000. At the time I had some cash but New Holland had zero % financing available. So with the cash down I was able to get a monthly payment I could afford on my retirement and yet have a new tractor. I'm on my 3rd summer with it and already got 300 hours on it and not a problem.

Here's a link to one of my post with it in use.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=751511

Good luck on what ever your choice is and enjoy stirrin up some dirt :banana::cool:

Mike

LOVEMYLABXS

I have been running a yanmar 1500D (4 wheel drive, 17hp) for about 10 years. I use it to disc up my garden, about 1/4 acre, and bush hog our deer lease and plant food plots. Been a great tractor. I never used a tiller on it because the disc just as good and is a little faster with multiple passes. It doesn't like to hog when the weeds and grass get 4-5 ft tall, but it works. After the initial cut, it maintains great and actual cuts faster than the Ford 3000. But I also use it in the woods, where the bigger tractor will not fit. Any small tractor will work, with the proper implements. Just takes a little longer. I love getting on my Yanmar. I use it as a way to get away from the everyday grind and I don't mind taking my time and enjoying it. I never look at tractor work as a chore, more like mental relaxation. I use the cub cadet for mowing the lawn. The tractor is more for field use.

Many good points here to consider :clap::cheers: The high lited line is important ENJOY and take your time you see vidieos where they look like they're racing to get done. Speed will get you hurt and will tear up your equipment, then if you bust something how much time did you save????????????????????

Mike

sleepr71

Go bigger than you "think" you need. I agree w/ elfiii..30 h.p. minimum and if poss.,get a 4x4 w/front-end-loader;). Those two x-tras(4x4+ F.E.L.) make a tractor SO much more useful..:cool:.

glynr329

I would never go less than a 30 hp. Probably same price. It is easier to use less than to need more and not have it.

Israel

BANNED
Just checking in to let you know I am reading each post...carefully. Spoke to a fellow today who has an MF 135 for sale...says it's been rebuilt...and the paint is all shiny! Looks like a pretty old model but I guess if it's not been abused...I can probably put up with a tractor as old as I am...after all, my sweet wife doesn't hold my age against me.

crappiedex

I have a mf 135. Tough ol tractor, if it can hold up for three generations it got to be tough. Perkins diesel are very good motors.

I would never go less than a 30 hp. Probably same price. It is easier to use less than to need more and not have it.

I use a 50 year old Massey Ferguson model 65 deisel with around 50 HP. I hardly ever have to run it pass half throttle to do any thing as it has 12 forward and 4 reverse speeds, I just use the gear I need without bogging down the engine. I got the power if needed to put heavy implements or one of the smaller tractors that needs a tow. The only down side is it's size which limits where I can go. You might want to look at the newer compact tractors where you have the HP and smaller size.