48” mower on a kubota B6100e

hunter 85

I have been trying to locate a bush hog type mower for a little Kubota B6100 that was given to me for work around the hunting property. The trouble I am running into is the tractor is rated at 12 hp pto and a 300lb lift with a cat 1 hitch. Most 48” are saying minimum 15-17 hp and all the 42” cutters are 400lbs or heavier. I have located a 48” Jbar cutter that is listed a 330lbs. My question is what will be the issues I will have by using that mower? Is it that the tractor will not have the power to spin the blades, or is it that I will just have to mow at a snails pace (ie 1st gear is listed at 0.8 mph) to keep the Rpms up. I am not looking to do anything crazy with the mower just keep shooting lanes and trails knocked down and mower around trees at the stand sites. Will this work or would I be peeing up a rope with the Jbar?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I expect that will work so long as you don't let the area you are going to mow get too far ahead of you, that is too grown up before you mow it again.

hunter 85

AEE1CAE6-058F-423A-94E4-06CC2B3BD4BC.png
The sales person contacted Jbar and they said that it may be a little big but did not say what they recommend for a minimum. The tractor manual states you can use the 48” up to 300lbs is why there is a lot of confusion. The disc I am looking at is also a bit bigger at 52” single gang at 280 lbs. I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to find implements that fit inside the manufacture listings but want them close as possible and use them.

Donal

Consider using the narrow mower. If the front is light, with the 440 lb mower, add a couple weights in the front. I believe Kubota offer a 44 inch deck for the tractor.