Root Grapple on Kubota

ventilator

Anyone had much luck using a root grapple on a 35-39hp tractor to clear a new plot? I have a bunch of sapling undergrowth in a spot i want to put a 1/3 acre plot next month after season. Got a few bigger trees ill have to cut with saw also. Planning to buy a 66" dual piston grapple for my 39 hp Kubota.

mattb78

I have a similar situation and I would not. Bulldozers and skid steers are made for land clearing. The type of grapple on a tractor is for picking up items and not root raking like a dozer attachment.

I am sure some people have done it and had no problems. I would either rent heavy equipment or just mow and herbicide spray it into a no-till plot if I didn't want to use heavy equipment.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would bush hog all the saplings down now, again in the spring, and then run over it with an all purpose plow. It will grab the roots and stuff and pull them up. They will start clogging up between the teeth of the plow, and you can drag them out of the field.

specialk

I have a similar situation and I would not. Bulldozers and skid steers are made for land clearing. The type of grapple on a tractor is for picking up items and not root raking like a dozer attachment.

I am sure some people have done it and had no problems. I would either rent heavy equipment or just mow and herbicide spray it into a no-till plot if I didn't want to use heavy equipment.

Ive seen folks buy a tractor with a front bucket and think they have a D9 Cat dozer....

Nothing more for me to add the others have covered as special k said it’s not a dozer or excavator with a thumb. That’s not what it was made to do and using it that way will damage it over time and cause it to fail or damage parts on your tractor and stress points could break welds

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Anyone had much luck using a root grapple on a 35-39hp tractor to clear a new plot? I have a bunch of sapling undergrowth in a spot i want to put a 1/3 acre plot next month after season. Got a few bigger trees ill have to cut with saw also. Planning to buy a 66" dual piston grapple for my 39 hp Kubota.
I have a 39 hp Kubota with a 724 loader, and a root rake with grapple. It's a legit root rake not a claw. Doesn't do diddly. May root up some 1 in saplings if ur lucky.

Lilly001

I have a 65 hp JD with a FL and a brush claw.
I have cleared plots in two different stages of growth.
1. Overgrown plot with 3 inch or less saplings. I mowed first. Slow but very doable. Then I used the claw to clean up and rake the plot. Then I disced it.
2. Another area of same plot but 4-6 inch saplings. Unable to mow so I used the regular bucket to push the saplings over then push the exposed root ball out. I then used the claw to clean up and stack. I then raked it with the claw. Followed with a disc.
#2 was easier and quicker.
I had an abundance of trash in the plots until the 3rd year on both but they were plantable.
It can be done but it is slow work. #1 plot was just over an acre. #2 was about 3 acres.
I had the time and I didn’t want to spend $ if I didn’t have to.
The wear on the machine was negligible with a couple hoses and fittings rubbed by working the brush.
It’s not a dozier, but it can do a lot of work if you recognize it’s limits.

Lilly001

I also did most all of my work in low range lowest gear with 4wd engaged.
Slow and smooth is the ticket.

tucker80

You can rent a mini excavator with a thumb for less than half the cost of a grapple. A plot no bigger than yours could be done in a weekend. Pluck and pile.

ventilator

You can rent a mini excavator with a thumb for less than half the cost of a grapple. A plot no bigger than yours could be done in a weekend. Pluck and pile.
I have also checked on renting a mini excavator as well. 600.00 for the weekend. A large Kubota skid steer with a grapple bucket is 550 for the wkd as well. I have more experience using the skid steer. But yes, that is the other option i have. thx

deers2ward

I have also checked on renting a mini excavator as well. 600.00 for the weekend. A large Kubota skid steer with a grapple bucket is 550 for the wkd as well. I have more experience using the skid steer. But yes, that is the other option i have. thx
Man those are good prices. Mind sharing who that is? I called my local Sunbelt and they quoted me:

$750 per day for 7500# excavator
$1,500 per day for a 100HP John Deer Skid Steer w Forestry Mulcher

b8hickman

Man those are good prices. Mind sharing who that is? I called my local Sunbelt and they quoted me:

That's what I was thinking. It's actually cheaper for me to pay someone to come mulch it up than renting it. That's not even including Diesel for the machine.

ventilator

Herc Rentals in Greer SC. I rented the big Kubota with the Mulcher for 1100 for the weekend back in January.