Trumpet

M Sharpe

It's all about what works for each individual !!
And my point being about round or flat mouthpieces is that it is still one's personal preference. Whatever works for each individual.

I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree, Jeff!!

Last edited:

J. L. Erb

Like I said Mark, just my two cents on the Angle, to each his own.
Sure aint worth my time arguing about for sure, just trying to offer my look at it.

It's a shame topics often escalate to arguments such as this, everyone is an authority and if it is not their opinion, it is wrong.

A hunter should always enter the woods with confidence in his calls, that is what is important.

M Sharpe

Yep... Really makes me wonder why one of the oldest trumpet makers today doesn't do his like that too.:huh:

:yawn:

J. L. Erb

Ask him? is all I can tell you, it may stop all that wondering Mark.

Just like I said above, shame, you are still beating this horse, trying to prove someone wrong, instead of seeing it as an opinion ?

J. L. Erb

Does it make you wonder why Ole Cox does his that way
Or Turpin ? :huh:

Turkeydoghunter

or Zach Farmer early 80s who angles his and puts a V cut in it....the reason I like it Mark is the control I get with the angle it allows me to manipulate the sound for Highs and lows like a musical wood wind instrument, some times I try to run through the musical scale start low and slowly raising the pitch to a high note then reverse , I once put a clip on guitar tuner on my trumpet and hit f which in a high note ....that's what makes the trumpet so cool unlike all other calls it has more range and high frequency .....Besides the gobble, I can do a loon , coyote , elk bulge , crow , snow goose , squealing rabbit , and hawk call on the trumpet ....it has more potential than any call that's why I love them so much , Mark is right it's ones personal choice , I can play a non angle trumpet pretty good but not as well as a angle .....Ronnie

Turkeydoghunter

Finally ! My Sound File !

Last edited by a moderator:

Killdee

Ron, there has been much discussion on straight verses angled mouthpieces. I own several of both. Personally, I like a straight cut. If I'm not mistaken, Turpin was a fan of the angled cut. I've even heard of guys that turn the angle verticle in their lips. I think the straight vs. angle is purely personal preference. I don't think I've ever seen one of Frank's with anything other than the angled mp. What are your thoughts on this?

And, yes, I use them both. I've made bones, all gobbler, all hen, hen mouthpiece and center section with gobbler bells ,and hen mp with gobbler center sections and gobbler bells. The call that killdee has is hen mp, goose center and gobbler bell. A bone made of all henbones is higher pitched and easily over played if the individual doesn't have the ability to control their airflow.

Goose!!!! no wonder my yard is full of Canadian doo doo lately!!!:confused:

Turkeydoghunter

some of Franks earlier calls were round I got one wish I had kept it original but I put an angle on it lol there goes the collector value but I did call in my first fall long beard with it ....Ronnie

Hawken2222

That sounds great to me. I have a Trumpet Mr. Cox made for me back in2011, and it is awesome. I had a few conversations with Mr. Cox prior to purchasing the call, and then a follow up call after I received it. At first I didn't know what to what to think, but after talking to him, I learned a lot and came to realize the guy wants you to have success with his calls. Not to mention the guy knows his stuff. I don't find Mr. Cox to be a bad guy at all. You just have to accept people for who they are, and not for who you think they should be or could be. I know first impressions are important, but sometimes You just have to kind of hang in there with some people and see what happens.

Turkeydoghunter

Which trumpets do you recommend?

I Got Lucky Back In 94 An Bought Cox Trumpet , I Have Had Good Luck With It , I Really Haven't Used To Many Others. I Have Others That I Have Collected, The Ones That Have Used Are Billy Buice , Zach Farmer ,Spur Hill And K P Calls.... I'm Sure There Many Great Trumpets Out There, From What I've Read On G O N And Other Forums .

Turkeydoghunter

Henry's Favorite Caller

I Got this out of Davis The American Wild Turkey .....
a4b749dc-1985-40da-9a69-a9252064196f.jpg
[/URL]

strutnrut

I have run MKW trumpets and they are full of turkey and pull easy. M Sharp builds a great wingbone and I will have it in the woods in a couple of months from now. I hunt fall, winter and spring with a trumpet and kill my fair share. I use both one hand and two hand calling. It's always good to know you can switch to one hand if need be but mostly I use both hands.

Turkeydoghunter

That picture from the book got me wondering about mouthpieces and when certain materials began to be incorporated. It would appear from this link below, that Turpin used ivory for mouthpieces on occasion.

http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1267993336

Thanks for posting that Blake , I also heard from several collectors and I saw Howard Harlan's Tom Turpin that they think that Turpin used Beef bones from a slaughter house , but it is difficult tell I think Ivory has a grain to it and with use and time will fracture ....can you post the pick with all the trumpets, the one your avatar on MOF....that's a good one , thanks for the link for the Sling Vest it's the Best Vest I ever owned , light weight carrys all the call , great cushion , back support and will carry a twenty six pound Bird with no problems , what I like is the lightness and that its open so you keep cool ....Ronnie

J. L. Erb

I would think it to be beef bone as well Ron, I think beef bone had many uses back in the day, nothing went to waste, especially on the Farms.

Turkeydoghunter

I have run MKW trumpets and they are full of turkey and pull easy. M Sharp builds a great wingbone and I will have it in the woods in a couple of months from now. I hunt fall, winter and spring with a trumpet and kill my fair share. I use both one hand and two hand calling. It's always good to know you can switch to one hand if need be but mostly I use both hands.

Good Luck on them fall an winter birds anyone .....

Turkeydoghunter

Who got you interested in the Trumpet ?

Turkeydoghunter

Drawing from Turpin's Book ....Showing angle and bone , for mouth piece ...doubt he used Ivory at all I think if he did Davis a stickler for details would have said Ivory in his book, as well as Turpin in his drawing ..
f080b600-eb04-4a53-91d0-dd860302166d.jpg
[/URL]