Trumpet

J. L. Erb

These Pictures show us just how far we have really wondered from the Original designs, nada really. That pic looks like pretty much 99% of every working Trumpet made today. That Box and the woods still a fav today, sending those very woods to a Turpin builder myself now. That Jordan cane call, same. Nice Post Ron. Cornbread and Redbeard got my interest poked in the Trumpet department.

rex upshaw

Thanks for posting that Blake , I also heard from several collectors and I saw Howard Harlan's Tom Turpin that they think that Turpin used Beef bones from a slaughter house , but it is difficult tell I think Ivory has a grain to it and with use and time will fracture ....can you post the pick with all the trumpets, the one your avatar on MOF....that's a good one , thanks for the link for the Sling Vest it's the Best Vest I ever owned , light weight carrys all the call , great cushion , back support and will carry a twenty six pound Bird with no problems , what I like is the lightness and that its open so you keep cool ....Ronnie

I'll have to dig that picture up. It's a good representation to dispute the cries of some about being copied...just as Jeff pointed out above.

As it relates to the picture in the link, it could be bone, or ivory. Based on one of the call makers who has worked with ivory, he seemed to think it was not bone.

How much did you end up paying for the Slingshot? I went with a different vest.

Turkeydoghunter

44.95 Delivered It's A Well Made.

Last edited:

Killdee

Where is that vest available?I have yet to find a vest that wasn't to hot for me, and I have always used a custom rigged beard buster double pouch belt with suspenders. I will look at anything, but have yet to find anything I like better than my rig.

Gaswamp

Where is that vest available?I have yet to find a vest that wasn't to hot for me, and I have always used a custom rigged beard buster double pouch belt with suspenders. I will look at anything, but have yet to find anything I like better than my rig.

I use the beard buster belt as well.

Killdee

I use the beard buster belt as well.

A buddy gave me a second pouch so I'm evened out side to side.I added camo leafy suspenders for a tool belt so I didnt have to cinch the belt so tight, hurts my ole wore out hips. Best system for me so far.

Turkeydoghunter

:bounce:
Where is that vest available?I have yet to find a vest that wasn't to hot for me, and I have always used a custom rigged beard buster double pouch belt with suspenders. I will look at anything, but have yet to find anything I like better than my rig. Beard Buster of course :cheers:h ....... only thing I didn't like was the box call pouch which is supposed to hold to 2 box calls they are small , it was an easy fix though I just took out the center stitch , and it was perfect for my Box !where I hunt it can sometimes be steep I need a vest that carry's the bird and good back support

Due to high demand, it is currently taking 1 - 2 weeks to ship online orders. We are sorry for any inconvience this may cause, but promise to get your order out to you as quickly as possible.eel free to call or e-mail us anytime!

Sportsman's Outdoor Products

9343 S. 670 W.
Sandy, Utah 84070

Telephone: (801) 562-8712
FAX: (801) 562-4306
E-mail: allison@gotarantula.com

Send an e-mail and we will send a catalog.

Sling Shot Vest(BB02)
Unique over the shoulder mono strap designed vest.

Submit Submit Submit

List Price: $ 79.99
Sale Price: $ 44.95
Save: $ 35.04 (43.81%)
Quantity:

Refer A Friend
Package Details Product Reviews FAQ's Miscellaneous

Sling Shot Beard Buster Mono StrapTurkey Vest

Drop down padded seat
Unique over the shoulder design
Molded foam back pad
Pockets for Box Call
Slate and Striker Pockets
Shell loops
Face mask and gloves pocket
Available in Camo Only.

Last edited:

icdedturkes

I use the beard buster belt and bought the Slate call pouch for the other side. My favorite call carrier ever. I dont use it a ton anymore as I have an Ol Tom Shirt for crow/owl with trumpet and tube around neck and a pocket full of mouth call calls..

I hate to say it but I think they discontinued it.. Should have bought 10 when Cabelas had them for 20 bucks.. I really wish SOP would reconsider they had great stuff..

Turkeydoghunter

when you buy factory direct it is much cheaper , an you slip it on an off fast an easy........

Turkeydoghunter

Bone

That picture from the book got me wondering about mouthpieces and when certain materials began to be incorporated. It would appear from this link below, that Turpin used ivory for mouthpieces on occasion.

http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1267993336
Blake this guy has no idea what he is talking about ,The call is not mine, it is Danny's, he just asked me to come by and look at it and take pictures. I spent a lot of time looking at it and in particular the mouthpiece. From all of the Turpin literature I have seen, he described his yelpers as cocobolo with a bone mouthpiece. The wood is clearly cocobolo but the mouthpiece looks to me like ivory. I have worked with both ivory and bone and I was looking for the pinpoint surface fractures or the fiberous composition of bone and I could not fine it. The patina, which does not show up in the pictures, hides some of the detail of the surface so it is hard to see. Looking close, one side has three grain lines that look very much like the grain found in ivory. I have never heard of any mention of ivory being used on his calls, but this appears to be ivory.

One interesting thing, the mouthpiece opening is larger than 1/16" and just from looks is larger than 3/32". I always thought of Turpin having small mouthpieces but this appeared to be a little larger.quote The call is not mine, it is Danny's, he just asked me to come by and look at it and take pictures. I spent a lot of time looking at it and in particular the mouthpiece. From all of the Turpin literature I have seen, he described his yelpers as cocobolo with a bone mouthpiece. The wood is clearly cocobolo but the mouthpiece looks to me like ivory. I have worked with both ivory and bone and I was looking for the pinpoint surface fractures or the fiberous composition of bone and I could not fine it. The patina, which does not show up in the pictures, hides some of the detail of the surface so it is hard to see. Looking close, one side has three grain lines that look very much like the grain found in ivory. I have never heard of any mention of ivory being used on his calls, but this appears to be ivory.

One interesting thing, the mouthpiece opening is larger than 1/16" and just from looks is larger than 3/32". I always thought of Turpin having small mouthpieces but this appeared to be a little larger.

The other interesting thing I saw was that on the shipping label, it has NO.____ and 167. Also above the COD cost is 167. I think this was how Turpin kept up with his orders and this was order no 167. If you think he was making duck calls, turkey calls, crow calls, hawk calls and others, he did not have very many calls out there in 1940.

Rick CCO...http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1267993336

The other interesting thing I saw was that on the shipping label, it has NO.____ and 167. Also above the COD cost is 167. I think this was how Turpin kept up with his orders and this was order no 167. If you think he was making duck calls, turkey calls, crow calls, hawk calls and others, he did not have very many calls out there in 1940.
Turkeydoghunter.......... I think this call could be a fake early Turpin calls had a cork stop, also there are no records or calls of any Ivory or buffalo horn call ever made by Turpin ....this guy said he looked for fractures , which anyone who knows Ivory knows it fractures and bone is less likely to it checks more...

J. L. Erb

That Guy Ron, is Rick Powell, and Danny, is Danny Ellis, one of the top collectors in the Country. Rick at one time, was a top call maker in his own right. He now owns a Machining / Manuf Co in Alabama. Just so happens to be the fella that makes the WindTalker line of calls for Doc. Rick has worked quite a bit with Ivory over the years, he is the Call Maker who made popular the Ivory Cigarette Holder " Tobacco Road Yelper's " from the Old Ivory Cigarette Holders. He was just smart enough to NOT say one way or the other, if it was ivory or bone, if he did not know for sure, but rest assured, he knows Ivory.

J. L. Erb

In the Thread in question, Rick had posted the call to show and discuss the call, when Danny was on the road, people by seeing his name on the thread, thought it was his, that is where the "IT's not mine it's Danny's" came in at.

Turkeydoghunter

That Guy Ron, is Rick Powell, and Danny, is Danny Ellis, one of the top collectors in the Country. Rick at one time, was a top call maker in his own right. He now owns a Machining / Manuf Co in Alabama. Just so happens to be the fella that makes the WindTalker line of calls for Doc. Rick has worked quite a bit with Ivory over the years, he is the Call Maker who made popular the Ivory Cigarette Holder " Tobacco Road Yelper's " from the Old Ivory Cigarette Holders. He was just smart enough to NOT say one way or the other, if it was ivory or bone, if he did not know for sure, but rest assured, he knows Ivory.
Jeff I have researched this and have talked face to face with the two foremost authorities and biggest collectors Howard Harlan an Earl Mickel not mention many others and saw Howards turpins and some others no one had a Ivory mouth piece .... Turpins book mentions Bone and wing bone , for the Two trumpets ....the wing bone which he states is harder to play than the turned bone with a stop of cork , both were cocobolo wood ....he lived close by a slaughter house theory was thats where he got the bones , I feel if they were Ivory he would have said that in his writings being quite a stickler for detail and perfection , and probably want more for a call too:) this call might just be the first ivory mouth piece caller ;)all I say is caveat emptor .....

Last edited:

rex upshaw

Jeff I have researched this and have talked face to face with the two most authorities and biggest collectors Howard Harlan an Earl Mickel not mention many others and saw Howards turpins and some others no one had a Ivory mouth piece .... Turpins book mentions Bone and wing bone , for the Two trumpets ....the wing bone which he states is harder to play than the turned bone with a stop of cork , both were cocobolo wood ....he lived close by a slaughter house theory was thats where he got the bones , I feel if they were Ivory he would have said that in his writings being quite a stickler for detail and perfection , and probably want more for a call too:) this call might just be the first ivory moth piece caller ;)all I say is caveat emptor .....

As it relates to Harlan's book, this a piece I pulled from Steve Turpin on the Bullnettle forum...he was giving a bit of a history lesson.

-As far as Howard's book,While it is an excellent book. It does contain a few mistakes in the Turpin section, some of which were brought to light after his book had already been published. The call that you are referring to (plate 5-1 on page 61) was bought from my Dad in the late 1980's after Howard had spotted it in our shop. The call was made and sent to Dad years earlier by an elderly man as a gift. It was never identified by us as a Tom Turpin.

Double Cluck

Steve and Howard are friends, are they not? Hard to believe that Howard's book would contain Turpin inaccuracies but stranger things have happened.

Brad

You guys are very impressive with your knowledge of the history of these calls. This thread is very interesting to read. I got interested in trumpets by reading the forums and what some known killers said about them. I'm just an average guy and will probably only have the one I've got. I love learning new calls and decided to try a trumpet. I asked a bunch of questions and got a lot of responses but I'm more function over fashion and the guy who I got mine from is a known killer and provided a personal buying experience never trying to sell me a call just explained them to me and then we talked turkeys for over two hours the first time we talked. My call sounds like a turkey even in my hands. If I'm ever able to buy another trumpet it will be from him if he is still making them for sale.

MKW

Brad,
I will always make a few trumpets. If you ever want another, I'll build it.

Mike

Brad

Thanks mike that means a lot. I've got to get blood on this one first. A lot of guys get caught up in the technical stuff but we are just trying to kill turkeys. What you did for me will not be forgotten I can assure you.