Running catch dogs

cd1

runing catch dog

no harm bud. i only run 3 dogs. the hog up here will stand back to back saw some pretty big pits get put down if you ever want to try mountain hogs let me know

gin house

Dang gin I like your comment. Me and a buddy caught 5 today so we atleast had to loose what 10 to 12 right

Not knocking your ways of hunting but it's hard to stop hogs around here with a pack of rough dogs. The guys that used to be 100% baydogs are getting scarce. South Georgia is awesome, We got on hogs everywhere we turned out but they're not many here and they won't hang around to be bayed much.

gin house

I like a rough dog but I'd like to see these one dog shows get it done. Had a hog the the other night take a 80 lb BMC and a 50 lb pup thru a field caught on his head and into a creek before workin them over until the bulldog and a couple more got there. I'm not saying they're not out there but I'd like to see them work.

sghoghunter

I'm just like you Gin I don't knock the way anyone hunts or how their dogs hunt but I personally don't want a catchy dog unless it's a small hog. Gin I'm just like you,I would love to see one of them "one dog shows" hunt. Not by nite vision or by spot lite but by turning it out and letting it hunt and find a hog then catching a big nasty boar and holding it till we got there.

sghoghunter

Not knocking your ways of hunting but it's hard to stop hogs around here with a pack of rough dogs. The guys that used to be 100% baydogs are getting scarce. South Georgia is awesome, We got on hogs everywhere we turned out but they're not many here and they won't hang around to be bayed much.
My pack of dogs is 2 non gritty curs,one gritty plott and a bulldog and 90% of the hogs are caught by one cur and a bulldog. Won't many hogs walk or run from one loose baying dog

gin house

My pack of dogs is 2 non gritty curs,one gritty plott and a bulldog and 90% of the hogs are caught by one cur and a bulldog. Won't many hogs walk or run from one loose baying dog

I used to see this up here but seems like they got wise to it. I've seen more hogs behind one dog and he was cut that I know of twice in about 12 years, he was not at all gritty. Haven't seen any do near what he did. I used to Like a baydog but too many breaks. I like a rough dog, the only knock is the cuts and losing a good dog. There's pros a cons to both.

gin house

I've come to the conclusion that in most cases a dog is a dog. Some may be a little better but I find it hard to believe a dog will find and catch a rank 300+ lb boar by itself, if it did once I would think the next time or two would seal its fate. I've heard it but never seen it. I have seen a rank hog cut down a pack of dogs and a bulldog more than once, lol. I'd like to see one do it but I personally have nothing against any of my dogs to take it out on him like that. I prefer a little muscle to even the odds. That's just me.

cd1

i like my dogs to much to send just one.put alot of time in my dogs to get them to hunt the way i want them to.wer going to the nalc bay com.dogs has to bay when you tell them to and come off the hog when you call them.every body has there on style of hunting.main thing is take care of your dogs

gnarlyone

?

What would be so hard to believe that a dog that would stop and catch a big boar in Night Vision would be able to find and catch the same hog if the dog was dumped out and hunted?...I hunt both ways and I don't have "Night Vision Dogs" and "Hunting Dogs"...The same dog that catches the big boar in NV will hunt and catch him on a turn out....Anybody that hunts this way would not think that a dog that does that is a "Wonder Dog"...But a fairly common thing........If he won"t catch him either way by himself . He is considered less than what I expect.

cd1

hey guys why dont we all get to gather for hog hunt?we could charge a small fee and give the mony to a kids hospital. and it would give us a chance to show what are dogs can do

gnarlyone

Popularity of the sport has done nothing but hurt hog hunting.... I started in the early 80's and have seen nothing but loss of hunting spots, rotting dead hogs, trespassing, out of towners invading the local hunting grounds , laws and regulations and just total decrease in the meaning of the sport.... The best days were before bay comps... Contests and laws.... Anybody that didn't hunt in the early days missed out on the "good ole Days".... And they will never return....

gnarlyone

Sad........

The last two years I have held on but don't know how long I can do it...in the old days No ethical hunter would hunt land that another person had permission on, no matter if they had permission also or not..now people don't care,Its scarey to even walk out in a field at night cause you don't know who's taking aim at you to see what you are. There are a few, VERY FEW.. shooters/hunters out there that care more about the Farmer than the money and just the flat out Thrill of Killing...I.d say as much as 75% of these people would throw a deer and probably even a cow away to rot if it wouldn't be frowned upon more than what it is to do a hog the same way...The Thrill of Killing and you don't have the Burden of cleaning anything.Certain types of People are responsible for every good thing that has ever went sour.... I could go on and on but im gone be nice........

cd1

sorry about the up set.im not in to hog hunting for mony i hunt public land if your down south you have better place to hunt then me.just trying to get every body togather for a good time.if we could raise some money for a kids hospital what would be rong with that? i have 2 kids and if they was sick i would need help.its said to see kids with cancer in hospitals.sorry for asking hog hunting is something i love i dont try to make any money off it. and if we dont need the meat we let it go

cd1

i never said my dogs was cut proof i said they have not had a bad cut that because we protect are dogs the best we can vest.they have there scars.hog hunting is in there blood so they know what there doing

Scrapy

Banned
running catch dogs

I hope I am not changing the subject much but I have sold and gave away many puppies to hog hunters. They were walkers and leopards and crosses between them . The only "hog" hunt I've been on was to get a couple of pigs out of a former fox pen that a boy was starting hog pups in and I don't know anything about the legalities of that. But there was one last pig they could not get run down. I went to try to help them drive it into a corner and into a small pen. I had a three legged brown dog missing a front leg all the way up to the shoulder that I called tripod that would twig and jump deer right at me and a feist that was fast as a bullet and had treed a hundred squirrels but had never opened her mouth on a tree so she was a cull squireldog . We finally jumped that 50 pound pig in a top in that bushy/viney - pen - hole and within two hundred feet they each had an ear and that pig was caught. Now neither dog had ever seen a pig in its life. How in the world do some dogs just automatically know where to grab and what to do?

Last edited:

RUGERWARRIOR

I hope I am not changing the subject much but I have sold and gave away many puppies to hog hunters. They were walkers and leopards and crosses between them . The only "hog" hunt I've been on was to get a couple of pigs out of a former fox pen that a boy was starting hog pups in and I don't know anything about the legalities of that. But there was one last pig they could not get run down. I went to try to help them drive it into a corner and into a small pen. I had a three legged brown dog missing a front leg all the way up to the shoulder. I called tripod that would twig and jump deer right at me and a feist that was fast as a bullet and had treed a hundred squirrels but had never opened her mouth on a tree . We finally jumped that 50 pound pig in a top in that bushy/viney - pen - hole and within two hundred feet they each had an ear and that pig was caught. Now neither dog had ever seen a pig in its life. How in the world do some dogs just automatically know where to grab and what to do?

Dogs are predators, it's in there blood. Most any dog will grab around the head. Unless it a pack situation and the head space is already takin up then they will grab anywhere.
Just like lions on a Cape buffalo. It's impressive.

Scrapy

Banned
Dogs are predators, it's in there blood. Most any dog will grab around the head. Unless it a pack situation and the head space is already takin up then they will grab anywhere.
Just like lions on a Cape buffalo. It's impressive.

I was impressed. I coon hunt. One dog grabs the tail and instantaneous another grabs the neck to stretch and the rest grab the belly and ribcage . It's over in a second. But why do they go for an ear on a pig but not a coon? Or go for the snout on a free range swamp Bull?

Latest posts