Question about 270 wsm

Louie270WSM

Trying to find out what type of bullet you guys are shooting with this caliber or any magnum caliber at deer.

I have tried soft points (Federal 130 grain power shoks) and bonded bullets (Nosler accubonds) and am not satisfied with the results of either.

I shot a 210 pound buck using soft points behind the shoulder and the bullet barely made it to the center of the body. The recovered bullet was turned inside out and flattened completely. The deer dropped in his tracks but if I hit the shoulder the outcome probably would have been different meaning the bullet wasn't stout enough to get to the vitals.

On the many deer that I shot with the bonded bullets, most all of them ran even when hit square in the shoulders without much of a blood trail.

Hopefully there is a bullet out there that gives a happy medium between the two with good knock down, exits the body and decent blood trails ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtr3333

Banned
Louie I had the same problem. I figured with all that power, my 270 WSM ballistic tip would do the trick. I hit 2 deer at close range multiple times before I figured out the velocity and super fast bullet expansion were not allowing cavity penetration. So, I switched to Winchester 150 gr Power Points. Problem solved.

689.jpg

Buzz

Personally I would be using Barnes TSX or TTSX. They are a match made in heaven for high velocities. Standard bullets like CoreLocts, Power POints, Interlocks, and SSTs, and Ballistic Tips (though stronger than an SST) are like grenades at the 3300 fps the .270 WSM can launch a 130g bullet.

The Accubond is a good bullet but I don't like them at that speed either. I've had very good luck with them blowing nice exits but most of the rounds I use them in are far slower than your .270 WSM.

Louie270WSM

Louie I had the same problem. I figured with all that power, my 270 WSM ballistic tip would do the trick. I hit 2 deer at close range multiple times before I figured out the velocity and super fast bullet expansion were not allowing cavity penetration. So, I switched to Winchester 150 gr Power Points. Problem solved.

689.jpg

Thanks for the info. Does that Power Point bullet usually exit the deer with a decent hole and good blood trail ?

catch22

Timely subject for me. I have been shooting the Federal 140gr Nosler Accubonds for several years out of my 270wsm. They are extremely accurate out of my savage, but I don't get much of a exit wound. I shot a 205lb buck this year at 190yds. Entry was on front left shoulder. Exit was behind right shoulder. Not much blood. Deer ran about 40yds and was dead as a wedge. Shot a doe in the neck at 50yds. entry and exits were same size....about like your little finger. she was drt but I had to search for an exit wound.

Apparently Federal has quit making the Nosler Accubond so I will need to switch bullets next year. I was thinking about trying the Fusion line.....but I am open to anything except Ballistic Tips.

Deerhead

I too have been shooting the Federal 140gr Nosler Accubonds for several years out of my Browning 270wsm. They are extremely accurate. I have shot three buck that were 200lbs. Two fell in their tracks and one ran fifty yards and that was because I shot a little back. So it was my fault and not the bullet. The only proble I have is finding the Federal 140gr wsm Nosler Accubonds. I have been looking at BassPro for two years now. Glad I have a couple of boxes.

Louie270WSM

I too have been shooting the Federal 140gr Nosler Accubonds for several years out of my Browning 270wsm. They are extremely accurate. I have shot three buck that were 200lbs. Two fell in their tracks and one ran fifty yards and that was because I shot a little back. So it was my fault and not the bullet. The only proble I have is finding the Federal 140gr wsm Nosler Accubonds. I have been looking at BassPro for two years now. Glad I have a couple of boxes.

You can get the Accubond loaded by Nosler. Pretty much the same deal as Federals loading. I tried them in my Browning A-bolt and didn't have re sight the gun.

turkeyhunter835

BANNED !!!

689.jpg

THIS!!! Im using it out of my x bolt, the farthest I have had one run is 45 yards and that was due to poor shot placement

mtr3333

Banned
Thanks for the info. Does that Power Point bullet usually exit the deer with a decent hole and good blood trail ?

The deer drops. It will go nowhere if you hit the heart/ lung no matter what size. I haven't had to track one since making the change whether a big or small deer.

This shot will do it every time.

1208111001.jpg

2012-11-15 17.50.01.jpg

meathammer

my Remington is in love with the 130 grain federal fusions. from 30 to 350 (that's the longest shot ive tried) these bullets are ruthless. not a stupid exit wound but golf ball size almost always and quartering shots exit most of the time. I think these have a perfect combination of penetration to expansion ratio. ive killed probably 25 to 30 deer with them and not let down one time. I would put them against any and ive tried most of them

JKnieper

THIS!!! Im using it out of my x bolt, the farthest I have had one run is 45 yards and that was due to poor shot placement

X3. They are a sledgehammer and my gun loves them. From 30 yards to 227 yds these bullets work. Do they leave a good exit hole and blood trail? If they run they don't go far and it looks like a machete massacre went down.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Looks like people are having good performance with power points.

I have 2 loads for my .270 WSM Browning A-bolt. Both are 140gr soft points.
1. Hornady BTSP
2. Sierra SBT

Both are powered by 60gr of IMR 4350 and both drop deer like they've been struck by Thor's hammer. The only deer I've ever shot with this load that didn't drop in his tracks, was shot right up the tailpipe. The bullet entered his left ham and was found in a glob of jelly in his chest cavity.

Shoot 'em in the shoulder and they're DRT.

Bassboy17

Browning A bolt Stalker with a Boss - Winchester 140g silver tips = DRT - I have tried the federal and have had a hard time with leaving a good blood trail. Just my.02

Mikec84

Not trying to steal this thread but I bought my son a weatherby .270 for Christmas this year and was wanting to try out some of the reduced recoil loads. I was thinking about the hornady SST but Im worried that they won't pass through if he hits the shoulder or something. If anyone is familiar with any of the reduced recoil loads I would greatly appreciate some input.

Jeff Phillips

I have had good results with Fusions, Federal Premiums with Sierra Gamekings, and High Shoks.

Killed 2 with Barnes last year and was not pleased. Found both, but they both ran on high shoulder shots and left weak trails. Doe was at 110 yards and the buck was at 370 yards.

REDFOXJR

689.jpg

I had the same problem, switched to the power points and problem solved. I had same exact thoughts as above. The ballistic tips and accubonds where penetrating and leaving a hole the size of a pencil. The power shoks where all over paper, the 150 gr power points, dead on. Made a bad (quick) shot on a buck two years ago with power points, hit the buck in the breast plate in front of the shoulders and left a hole all the way through the size of my fist entry and exit. I figure core lokts may work just as well, just stopped trying different ammo when I found one that worked.