Do you think crossbows are replacing compound bows?

shdw633

We all know the compound bow replaced the recurve bow back in the 70's and 80's. Do you think that the crossbow is doing the same thing to the compound bow now. I ask this because pretty much everyone I know and 90% of those on my lease no longer use a compound bow when they hunt during archery, they have all gone to crossbow. What do you think?

flatsmaster

I don't think so ... I think it lets more people participate that had to stop bc of physical limitations ... I'm 63 and had shoulder trouble 2 yrs ago so used a crossbow in Illinois but built my muscle back and back to my compound ... to me there is NOTHING like drawing back on a big buck !!! I don't gun hunt and a crossbow is real close to gun hunting but I will play that game if necessary to hunt with my kids

Buckstop

It has come close to replacing the compound on my club. We only have five members and four are crossbow only during archery. Other guy is 50/50. We still have a couple younger family member/guest come to hunt with a vertical each year though.

Hillbilly stalker

It won't replace the compound. They've been around a whole lot longer than a compound tho. What they do is make it so as other people who can't handle the draw weight of a compound can enjoy archery season.

mlandrum

Things are as usual, it's according to your liken! Now, crossbows are on the move now I think because we still have a lot of the Baby Boomers ( like myself) that can not pull a compound or re-curve back so the crossbow will keep us in the game. You just can't keep a good ole man down!!!!

shdw633

It won't replace the compound. They've been around a whole lot longer than a compound tho. What they do is make it so as other people who can't handle the draw weight of a compound can enjoy archery season.

That's true, but in the past owning a crossbow wasn't all that easy. They were harder to load and not as technologically advanced as they are today. They weren't compound, you had to draw back the string by hand whereas today they have cranks and ropes that can do that. They generally did not have a scope as well and weren't nearly as fast as they are today. These advancements are what is bringing them to the forefront as the learning curve on them is much smaller than that of a crossbow. Make no mistake, I am not saying compounds will be the bow of choice for bowhunters within the next decade but with the younger generation it seems the easier, the smaller the learning curve, the better. Just like when the compound started replacing the recurve. The recurve has not disappeared but has taken it's place at the back of the pack in regards to it's use.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

That kinda depends on which crowd you run around with. X bows have been around since the dark ages, compounds probably '60- 70's. They all have their advantages.

shdw633

Last edited:

whitetailfreak

I've got a team of Archery technicians I'd have to confirm my suspicious with, as I look at numbers and don't necessarily spend a lot of time in the archery shop, but archery is huge with millennials. For instance, today we sold 3 bows, all to guys under 30. Zero crossbows. Older guys who can't physically draw are who I usually see buying crossbows.

BowanaLee

If I could draw enough poundage I'd still be bow hunting. I didn't fair well at 42 lbs on the last deer I shot. I don't like xbows but it keeps me in the woods. Anythings better than picking up a gun again.

Attachments

• arrow sticking in buck.jpg
    arrow sticking in buck.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 43

shdw633

About the only place its replaced them is on this forum. It's not like it used to be. Just my opinion.

Believe it or not that's what got me thinking about the thread. This section of the Forum use to be buzzing but in the last few seasons it doesn't seem to be as alive as it use to be. I mean were here at the end of July, this place should be jumping with the season a little over a month away.

shdw633

only with the older crowd,

I think parents like them for the very young as well. I wish they had the crossbows of today when I was raising kids as I definitely would have started them off with that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are also wrong about traditional bows being replaced by compounds. I know hundreds of people who still hunt with trad gear, and their numbers are rising all the time.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I sell 5 compound bows for every crossbow.

I’d be curious to know to know a more specific breakdown on this. It appears to me that a lot compound shooters replace bows yearly, whereas crossbow shooters use a bow for a extended period of time before replacing...just based on what I see here and on social media.

shdw633

I think you are also wrong about traditional bows being replaced by compounds. I know hundreds of people who still hunt with trad gear, and their numbers are rising all the time.

100's is not the 10's of thousands or more that don't.