hunting piedmont nwr apr.10-14

jcarter

Banned
got drawn on the 2nd hunt. never been there before. any help would be appreciated.

dutchman

I was drawn for the first hunt! Looking forward to it already.

jcarter

Banned
i called them.

NorthGaHunter

got drawn on the 2nd hunt. never been there before. any help would be appreciated.

First I would try to go down there before the season and drive teh roads and learn the road network. And mark on your map all the areas gated off. I would also make note of any burned areas. Before doing so, I would also try to get a topo of the area so you can get an idea of the ridges and creeks. The maps can also help you plan some of your hunts like maybe parking 2 vehicles and hunting from one to the other. There is a "Middle Georgia WMA map" like those lake maps you can pick up at Walmart that should have Piedmont on it.

When I hunted I normally spent equal amount of time on both the upper and lower ends of the refuge. All my hunting has been on the first gun hunts. This year I only put in for the 2nd and 3rd hunt because a buddy of mine could not hunt the first hunt. Not sure if I was drawn or not. I would be afraid that the birds may get hammered pretty hard on that first hunt. I REALLY hope if rains, wind blows, snows, sleets, on that first hunt. :biggrin2:

Also, there are a lot of gated roads down there but DO NOT take a bicycle if you have one....they are not allowed. I already tried that route before. Hope this helps.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I was drawn for the second hunt also. I asked about the campground and it will be open. I had been told earlier that it was only open during deer season.:clap:

NorthGaHunter

Also, there is not much around there....so bring you a cooler and some food so you don't have to drive out of the way to get something to eat. Also, if you want a decent meal, there is the Whistle Stop Cafe (where the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was filmed) that is in Juliette. I think it is maybe about 7 miles or so from the refuge. I think they may only be open for breakfast and lunch. I don't think they are open for dinner.

dutchman

Actually, I find that the drive to Forsyth is not that bad. I visited the Walmart the last time I hunted Piedmont and it's not that far.

BubbaD

Wahoo! SCPO, Randy and myself all were drawn for the 1st hunt! See ya there dutchman:yeah:

Randy

Well since I was drawn for the first hunt, I'll let you know where I did not hear any!

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well I just found out that I was drawn for the third hunt. Guess I will have to really be brushed up on my calling if I hunt behind all of you that got drawn on the first two hunts. Oh well, It was for my Father-In-Law and Mother-In-Law anyway. May as well take the camera on this hunt.

I would also make note of any burned areas.
I would say close to half of the Refuge was burned at the end of January and first part of February. We were there and it looked good everywhere. Yall come in to Forsyth, Give me a call at the Police Department. Good Luck, Tim

Thanatos

The number to call is 478/986 5441

I got drawn for the first hunt. on March 27-31. My Father in law got drawn for the third hunt. Do the birds taken on the quota hunt count towards your total for the season?

Jasper

JustBB and myself put in for the first hunt and were not drawn.:(

Best of luck to all going. Be safe and have fun!

jcarter, I'll PM you with a good place to check out.

Randy

I was going river fishing this weekend but now that the rivers are blown out from all this rain, I think I will go over to PNWR and scout. Anybody want to go along?