Do you have to be good to go to heaven?

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

I was just thinking..... I wonder if any of the inspired New Testament writers ever told a person to "now that you've been saved, go on with your life, you don't have to be good"?

Probably didn't have to, because the Gift of Salvation was so wonderful to the hearers, service came naturally out of Love. This is the same as it should be today, yet for many Satan has deceived us into thinking that the Power of God is weak in overcoming the sinful nature. Many have believed a lie and walk in darkness! Jesus warned us to be careful! I am challenged!

Luke 11
33 “No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light. 34 Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness. 35 Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness.

Ephesians 5:11
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

1 John 1:6
If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Artfuldodger

Probably didn't have to, because the Gift of Salvation was so wonderful to the hearers, service came naturally out of Love. This is the same as it should be today, yet for many Satan has deceived us into thinking that the Power of God is weak in overcoming the sinful nature. Many have believed a lie and walk in darkness! Jesus warned us to be careful! I am challenged!

Luke 11
33 “No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light. 34 Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness. 35 Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness.

You are telling a new Christian he has the power of the Holy Spirit so he'll not have to worry about living right anymore. Then you offer him a verse where Jesus is telling him to "be careful".

formula1

You are telling a new Christian he has the power of the Holy Spirit so he'll not have to worry about living right anymore. Then you offer him a verse where Jesus is telling him to "be careful".

Yes (though I did not say he doesn't have to worry, you did) and Yes. And what is the contradiction???

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Ronnie T, How many people do you know that don't sin on a pretty regular basis after they are saved, and some of the same sins over and over at that. A few examples are: gossip, thinking lustful thoughts about women, pride, and oh by the way, a little white lie now and then. If you say that after you are saved, and you continue to sin you are of the devil, then there are a lot of us in SW Georgia that are going to he11. This thing can get pretty complicated and confusing if you are really honest with yourself.

After rethinking this during the night I'd like to revisit your questions.
I know plenty of Christians who do not sin on a regular basis. I know lots of people who don't lie, not even a white lie. And why shouldn't their lives be that way? Why shouldn't they? None of that means they deserve any credit for it. It simply is an indication that they've truly been touched by the gracious blood of Jesus.

It changes a person. Fruits of the Spirit.

Artfuldodger

Probably didn't have to, because the Gift of Salvation was so wonderful to the hearers, service came naturally out of Love. This is the same as it should be today, yet for many Satan has deceived us into thinking that the Power of God is weak in overcoming the sinful nature. Many have believed a lie and walk in darkness! Jesus warned us to be careful! I am challenged!QUOTE]

I just interpreted what you said wrong quoting Luke 11.
Above you did say Jesus warned us to be careful.

gtparts

Luke 11

Ephesians 5:11
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

1 John 1:6
If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

After rethinking this during the night I'd like to revisit your questions.
I know plenty of Christians who do not sin on a regular basis. I know lots of people who don't lie, not even a white lie. And why shouldn't their lives be that way? Why shouldn't they? None of that means they deserve any credit for it. It simply is an indication that they've truly been touched by the gracious blood of Jesus.

It changes a person. Fruits of the Spirit.

Seems to me that we (a large number of Christians) think of the Holy Spirit as some kind of 'guardian angel' or talisman, to keep us on the straight and narrow. It is a though when we sin, we could blame the Holy Spirit for not doing His job.

But, Scripture describes Him as the Parakletos, one called or sent to come along side to help, counsel, advise, and advocate. The context is that of the perfect asset to assist us in living a godly life. He does not rule over us, at least not in the sense that He mandates all our thought and behavior. Instead, we must avail ourselves of what He can and will do for us and others. He can be a moral compass, if we pay Him heed. He can be the comforter, if we allow Him to carry our burden. He can and does advocate for us when we are committed to dwell in God's will, but we stumble. He stands in the gap when we are under the assault from Satan and his crowd. He helps and advises us, if we ask. He doesn't force himself upon the believer, but willingly provides leadership when we admit we do not know the way and seek His direction.

But, He is no more a genie in "our bottle" than the waffle I had for breakfast is. Not Santa Claus nor the Tooth Fairy.

The point is, He can only do what we allow Him to do in our lives. When we choose to go it alone, we bear all the consequences that might result.

formula1

Re:

I just interpreted what you said wrong quoting Luke 11.
Above you did say Jesus warned us to be careful.

Well, ,thanks for the opportunity to clear things up. There is no contradiction at least from my point of view.

Jesus did warn us to be careful. Why? Because we have a nature that is prone to choose wrongly (to hide our light), to gratify the desires of the flesh rather than listen to the Holy Spirit as a guide in our lives. After awhile, we get to believing we are doing OK, yet we are still refusing to submit our will to the Power of the Holy Spirit in us. Eventually, this causes us to judge our own hearts as clean, yet still deceiving ourselves. We know His will for the Holy Spirit has made it clear to us (by His Word and Spirit), but we willfully ignore it. That's when the light in us becomes darkness, as we fail to respond to the His light within.

The Power of God through the Holy Spirit truly is an amazing force in helping us be overcomers in Christ. But if we don't guard our path, what can He do?

Psalm 119:9
How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to Your Word.

I hope this helps!!!

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Came across this today.

*New Life in Christ
If I had a car with the engine that was ready for the grave, I'd have a new engine put in. I'd take the car into a mechanic who would put it in for me. If when I got that car back, it ran just as poorly, I'd begin to wonder if the old really had been replaced or just cleaned up. It is not different with our new lives in Christ.

Christian Personal Ethics, C.F.H.Henry,Eerdmans,
1957, pp. 383ff

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Another one.

James 1:22

I was hungry and you formed a humanities club and discussed my hunger.
I was imprisoned and you crept off quietly to your chapel and prayed for my release.
I was naked and in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance.
I was sick and you knelt and thanked God for your health.
I was homeless and you preached to me of the spiritual shelter of the love of God.
I was lonely and you left me alone to pray for me.
You seem so holy, so close to God.
But I'm still very hungry and lonely and cold.

We must hear again the words of James: 'But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only"" (James 1:22).

hobbs27

Came across this today.

*New Life in Christ
If I had a car with the engine that was ready for the grave, I'd have a new engine put in. I'd take the car into a mechanic who would put it in for me. If when I got that car back, it ran just as poorly, I'd begin to wonder if the old really had been replaced or just cleaned up. It is not different with our new lives in Christ.

Christian Personal Ethics, C.F.H.Henry,Eerdmans,
1957, pp. 383ff

I agree, as long as we evaluate things under our own hoods, and don't go around judging other cars.

mtnwoman

We are not suppose to continue in sin. Even though we do, sometimes. Jesus changed the way I think/thought about things. I was having so much fun, I was killing myself. I wasn't a mean kind of sinner, just a stupid kind of sinner.

I look at the Holy Spirit as sort of an 'umpire'...'do go here, don't go there, don't do this or that, don't say that, do say that'....I'm instantly convicted when I do something I shouldn't and I instantly ask for forgiveness. In my spirit, lives Jesus, in my soul lives me. I'm battling myself and my flesh, I'm not battling Jesus. When I am weak, He is strong....sometimes I turn a blind eye and sin anyway, knowing good and well......my goal is to become more and more like Christ everyday. It's really easier to be like Him than it is to suffer the consequences of being like me....I cause my ownself grief.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I agree, as long as we evaluate things under our own hoods, and don't go around judging other cars.

I always appreciate it when someone tells me my car's not sounding so good. :D

I'm equally greatful when a good brother points out something in my life that I'm not doing such a good job at.

hobbs27

I always appreciate it when someone tells me my car's not sounding so good. :D

I'm equally greatful when a good brother points out something in my life that I'm not doing such a good job at.

My brother is just as inexperienced as I am, and would probably ignore his own rod knocking to point out my ticking valve I'll take the advice of my Father.:D

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Then I'd appreciate him letting me know what that ticking noise is.

James 5:20
let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Artfuldodger

As good as God.

We are not called Godians for a reason. We are Christians as we are to Try to be as Christ like as humanly possible.
One more thing to show the difference between God & Jesus. You might get close to being Christ like but you will never be God like.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod

It just came to me tonight.......

No? But the one going to heaven will have an inner desire to be good.

gemcgrew

You might get close to being Christ like but you will never be God like.

How close to being Christ like would one need to be in order to enter heaven? The righteousness required by God, only God can give. Only one who is equal to God can stand in the presence of God.(Psalm 24:3-5) (Matthew 17:5)

StriperAddict

It just came to me tonight.......

No? But the one going to heaven will have an inner desire to be good.

Pardon me for thinking that's a given. And worse yet I suppose...
taking it for granted.