No Chest Pain

Toliver

For the two of you that have mentioned having monitors, how big are they and how aggravating are they to wear? I go in a couple of weeks to get one installed. For close to 2 years now, my heart fluctuates from the lowest I've seen it at 37 bpm to the highest without real cause at 160+. It does this throughout the day. Blood pressure is perfectly normal every time it gets checked. I'm scheduled in February for both the monitor and some comprehensive CT scan to check the arteries. Just trying to get a feel for how this monitor is going to affect daily routines.

K80Shooter

Flash, Glad that they caught it and got you straightened out.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
@Flash, glad to hear they got you fixed up man.

BTDT, and wound up with a single bypass myself. Cardiologist told me in recovery it would have been only a stent, but there was a small branch-off too close to feel comfortable with a stent possibly failing.

oldfella1962

The monitor was put on me, they gave me a cell phone to keep within 10 ft. Every night it would send a report to the company, then when they read it they would contact the doctors office if they saw something
So the monitor sends data to the cell phone - and the cell phone sends data to the company that does the monitoring (via their cellphones) and that company reports abnormalities to a doctor's office - which is (I hope) working 24 hours a day and weekends & holidays. Is the general gist of the process?

Core Lokt

Glad you made the right move and went to the Dr. Heart issues can slip up on us without us even knowing. Serious ones too. Hope you get better my friend.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
For the two of you that have mentioned having monitors, how big are they and how aggravating are they to wear? I go in a couple of weeks to get one installed. For close to 2 years now, my heart fluctuates from the lowest I've seen it at 37 bpm to the highest without real cause at 160+. It does this throughout the day. Blood pressure is perfectly normal every time it gets checked. I'm scheduled in February for both the monitor and some comprehensive CT scan to check the arteries. Just trying to get a feel for how this monitor is going to affect daily routines.
I only wore it less than 24 hrs, but it wasn't an issue. if you take your hand and do the OK sign it was a little larger than the 'O'. It was 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall, had something like a thick trash bag, about size of your hand holding it down (sticky). I was to remove it every 5 days and charge the monitor, then use a new sticky to hold it down. Said I could shower but not submerge it in water.

So the monitor sends data to the cell phone - and the cell phone sends data to the company that does the monitoring (via their cellphones) and that company reports abnormalities to a doctor's office - which is (I hope) working 24 hours a day and weekends & holidays. Is the general gist of the process?
Yep, I think they said it reports like 2 am, the thing I'm not 100% sure on is I think since I had an episode tween 4 and 5 PM and the call came next morning, they only process it once every 24 hrs. BUT to be fair to the company, had my issue been prior to lunch I might have got a call that day. I don't know.
And you have the issue of the cardio doctor office is not 24/7. So I would think if it's after quitting time you wouldn't know until they came in to work in the morning.

Cell phone coverage area could be an issue in some areas , don't know what carrier they use

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
On the pacemaker I have a monitor on the night stand, they said you don't have to take it with you, said 'if your gonna go on vacation like normal ones 2-10 days' leave it at home. But if you was gone for a month take it with you

With the monitor you kept the cell phone within 10 ft except for showers, short periods of time. Cell phone was laid on night stand, in pocket during day

Redbow

Glad you got some help Flash, all the best to you and yours.

Last summer I got to feeling real bad no energy tired all the time. My doctor checked me out it was my potassium level causing my problem. My heart rate was down to 41 bpm which is too low the dr. told me. I didn't know then that low potassium levels can kill a person but my dr informed me that it can. I take potassium pills now and I feel a lot better than I did last summer.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Good to hear they have you fixed up. Went through something similar with all the monitors, EKGs, eco grams, Stress test, etc.

Never knew I was sick until I had a mini stroke/TIA. I was using the mouse on the computer and my first 2 fingers on my right hand just quit working for about 10 seconds. They gave me an EKG. I had Afib. I was immediatley put on Eliquis at the Emergency Room.

A week later I had a Cardioversion performed. They shocked my heart back into rythym. I didn't know I felt so bad until they got my heart back into rhythym. Of course I have since then monitored by heart rate and ryhthym along with BP everyday since. Had to have another shock treatment about a year ago.
Been doing well since then but I was put on Amirodione to keep my heart rate up.

Just wanted to let folks that have a little age on the to not ignore the things your body is telling you.

Hoss

Glad they found the problem and got it fixed. My heart attack caused me no pain. Just profuse sweating and not feeling right. Happened to be working on a ground blind with my son-in-law. Glad he was with me. I just told him I didn’t feel right and he said I looked terrible. He got me to where and ambulance picked me up and they verified I was having a heart attack. Off to the hospital for a stint implant. Never did feel any chest pain or pain anywhere else.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Glad you got some help Flash, all the best to you and yours.

Last summer I got to feeling real bad no energy tired all the time. My doctor checked me out it was my potassium level causing my problem. My heart rate was down to 41 bpm which is too low the dr. told me. I didn't know then that low potassium levels can kill a person but my dr informed me that it can. I take potassium pills now and I feel a lot better than I did last summer.
They said mine was low too

hopper

Flash just saw this. Sounds like they caught it quick. Happy to hear your alright. One question. Does all the tinfoil effect the monitor at all?::ke:

jbogg

Really glad @Flash caught this in time. Without him and @elfiii i’m not sure how I would stay informed. I know I sound like a broken record, but take the time to at least listen to the following YouTube video. It runs counter to everything I thought I knew for most of my life regarding a healthy diet. The standard American diet that most Americans partake in is the main reason cardiovascular disease has skyrocketed over the past few decades. Think about it. The percentage of people that smoke cigarettes is a fraction of what it was when I was a child, yet the incidence of cardiovascular disease has continued to rise significantly.

It’s never too late to make some lifestyle changes that will have a dramatic benefit on your quality of life. In any case, try to listen to the video. It is a conversation between a family practice physician, and a cardiothoracic surgeon. Very enlightening.

Core Lokt

I don't have a pacemaker but do have a monitor inserted in my chest. "bout the size of 1/3rd of a match box length wise. It "phones home" all throughout the day and they monitor it. I've only been called a few times.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Really glad @Flash caught this in time. Without him and @elfiii i’m not sure how I would stay informed. I know I sound like a broken record, but take the time to at least listen to the following YouTube video. It runs counter to everything I thought I knew for most of my life regarding a healthy diet. The standard American diet that most Americans partake in is the main reason cardiovascular disease has skyrocketed over the past few decades. Think about it. The percentage of people that smoke cigarettes is a fraction of what it was when I was a child, yet the incidence of cardiovascular disease has continued to rise significantly.

It’s never too late to make some lifestyle changes that will have a dramatic benefit on your quality of life. In any case, try to listen to the video. It is a conversation between a family practice physician, and a cardiothoracic surgeon. Very enlightening.
The comments tell a lot

alphachief

Just got my cousin home after a long 35 day stay in the hospital and rehab. He had a widow maker heart attack with 100% blockage on 12/23. He was technically dead for about 15 minutes. We had just spent a week pheasant hunting in KA walking 5-6 miles a day with no sign of heart trouble at all. Get those annual checkups with EKG’s.

1706748859913.jpeg

oldfella1962

I don't have a pacemaker but do have a monitor inserted in my chest. "bout the size of 1/3rd of a match box length wise. It "phones home" all throughout the day and they monitor it. I've only been called a few times.
Have any of those "few times" involved an about to expire car warrantee? :cautious: