Plot Soil Managment, Throw and Mow, No Till hunters

Dean

I have reviewed and followed some of the earlier threads (CNC etc) dating back a year or so.

Ready to give this method of no till a try. I have a deer plot that has some clover from Fall planting. It was bush hogged in late Spring, but now the weed etc growth is 7" - 8" tall.

My plan is to spray the plot with some herbicide that will not kill off the clover stand (recommendations?). Wait a few weeks and either:

1) broadcast Fall seed (abruzi rye, clovers, radish/rape maybe). Then mow/bush hog and concentrate on dead biomass being evenly distributed

2) Or mow/bush hog several weeks after spray and then drilling seed

Historically I have disked the plot and planted Fall seed mix including forage oats and dragged (or culti-packed) from what I have read in earlier post, oats are not recommended for the throw and mow method, do I understand this correctly?

For those that have successfully planted into, over, on top of bush hogged biomass (weeds killed with spray) is there a suggested preferred method base on your experience between throw and mow, or mow and drill?

deerbuster

Planting into biomass would help control moisture levels and future weed population along with creating organic matter which is great for the soil.

The only problem I see with broadcasting is seed/soil contact. I believe if you were to spread a smaller seed, i.e. rape or clover, you wouldn't have a problem with the seed reaching the soil but if you were to spread something larger you may not see the germination rate that you would with drilling.

IF a seed drill is accessible for you, you could broadcast your smaller seed then drill your larger seeds which the drill would almost serve as a culti-packer to get the broadcast seed to the soil easier.

nrh0011

What are we trying to kill? grass weeds? If so, Poast is always a good option.

Drilling will always be a more accurate way to achieve proper seed depth and seed to soil contact. If that option is within budget and accessible then that is what I would highly recommend.

However, a large amount of residue can present a problem if the drill is not setup right.