What kind of tracks are these?

coastga

As I was scouting our lease this past weekend in Jenkins County, I ran across these tracks on the dirt road. Notice the size of the claws, also notice the distance between the prints. What are these?.... Bear?

Attachments

• print 1.jpg
    print 1.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,244
  • print 2.jpg
    print 2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,234
  • print 3.jpg
    print 3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,248
  • print 4.jpg
    print 4.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,251
  • print 5.jpg
    print 5.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,231

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
100% big dog.

goob

Its a big one too

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Its a big one too

This^^^^ if that's a dog I'd sure hate to run in to it in the dark. Look at the pic with the 4-wheeler tracks. On the hard ground appears to be bear tracks. Hard to tell about the ones in the soft ground

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This^^^^ if that's a dog I'd sure hate to run in to it in the dark. Look at the pic with the 4-wheeler tracks. On the hard ground appears to be bear tracks. Hard to tell about the ones in the soft ground

I see bear tracks at least once a week, often with bears standing in them. Those ain't bear tracks.

coastga

Definitely not a dog. Dog's do not have five phalanges (fingers or toes). On one of the prints you can see five claws.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Definitely not a dog. Dog's do not have five phalanges (fingers or toes). On one of the prints you can see five claws.

Unless it's a double-register track.

Those dog tracks look like virtually every other dog track I've ever seen.

NCMTNHunter

Hear are some bear tracks for comparison.

2012-05-16_09-43-05_119.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Absolutely positively 100% dog tracks. What you are seeing as "five toes" is double-register, and sometimes the front dew claws show in soft dirt with running dog tracks, making a fifth-claw impression. Look at your dog's front feet. There are five phalanges/claws counting the dew claws. Look at the bear tracks below to see the major difference between those and the dog tracks.
Hear are some bear tracks for comparison.

2012-05-16_09-43-05_119.jpg

Yes, those are definitely bear tracks.

jmiller0913

Looks like wolf to me! i shot one 2 years ago in burke co. thinking it was a big yote. But but it weighed 120b and was blood tested full blood red wolf. We have tons on my families land there. I see tracks like that all the time.

MCBUCK

:biggrin2:

MCBUCK

Looks like wolf to me! i shot one 2 years ago in burke co. thinking it was a big yote. But but it weighed 120b and was blood tested full blood red wolf. We have tons on my families land there. I see tracks like that all the time.

May the odds ever be in your favor.

"In 2007, the US Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that there were 300 red wolves remaining in the world, with 207 of those in captivity.[53] According to the latest Red Wolf Recovery Program First Quarter Report (October–December 2010), the US Fish and Wildlife Service estimates that there are currently 110-130 red wolves in the Red Wolf Recovery Area in North Carolina, however, since not all of the newly bred in the wild red wolves have radio collars, they can only confirm a total of 70 "known" individuals, 26 packs, 11 breeding pairs, and 9 additional individuals not associated with a pack."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf