Missing squirrels in the mountains

jigman29

If anyone sees any mountains squirrels over there way please send them home.We have a severe missing tree rat problem here.I can't buy a squirrel up here this season and we have acorns and hickory nuts everywhere.

GA DAWG

They all got hit on thr roads last yr during the massive squirrel migration.

aabradley82

It's the same way in the mountains around Hiawassee too. All the game is down in the settlements. I blame the lack of logging. A mature hardwood forest is pretty, but rather sterile except for the mast season. Need to sic a chainsaw on it and create some new growth. I bet all game would improve.

Bucknut

After first week of August , they all ran for the Hills here in Cherokee...All MIA..Must be the Great Squirrel Purge 2014!

conejero

Huh, I went out this morning with my cur and my grandson to some areas that aughta, and have in the past, held squirrels. Treed only one that we weren't able to find in the canopy. I was thinking they just weren't out because it's so muggy. This thread is interesting, what do ya'll suppose is going on?

jimdog

squirrels

I hunted piedmont this morning. The dogs made a few trees but seen nothing in the big timber. there were some pine cone cuttings and a few cut hickory nuts. I'm gonna hunt some shorter trees tomorrow.

tjchurch

About two weeks ago the wife asked,where are the squirrels.we live in a small subdivision . Last year you could sit on the front porch and see ten or fifteen at the time. I haven't counted ten total in the last two weeks. Weird.

buckeroo

Funny you mention this. I have about 20 miles on foot of scouting so far this month and havent seen a single tree rat in and around Lumpkin and White county.

GA DAWG

Funny you mention this. I have about 20 miles on foot of scouting so far this month and havent seen a single tree rat in and around Lumpkin and White county.
Have you saw any bear? Ive not saw a single bear since turkey season. Ive been out looking to. Way off on sightings compared to the last few yrs.

crackerdave

Did you see a lot of roadkills up in the mountains? Maybe they commited suicide.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
After first week of August , they all ran for the Hills here in Cherokee...All MIA..Must be the Great Squirrel Purge 2014!

This^^^^^^^^^^

went to PL the other day and saw None............I DID however, hear and see more Mourning Doves than I have ever seen before at Pinelog.

Nice Pig Bucknut! That a Pinelog hog?:huh:

GA DAWG

I had one run out in front of me this morning. He was running for his life. Skeered to death. Could see it in his eyes..So something musta been after him. I couldnt wait or we would now know what happened to the rest of em.

The mtn man

If anyone sees any mountains squirrels over there way please send them home.We have a severe missing tree rat problem here.I can't buy a squirrel up here this season and we have acorns and hickory nuts everywhere.

I'm just a few miles north west of you, and I can count on one hand how many squirrels I have seen in the past month, hickory trees are hanging full but no squirrels are cutting.

Darien1

I remember last year everyone up in North Georgia talking about the squirrels moving and migrating. People were saying they saw a dozen road kills per mile.