Pawn Shop Shock - AGAIN!

SWAMPFOX

Filthy barrels

I know this is a broad generalization, but I've never seen a clean barrel on any long gun that I've looked at in a pawn shop. Most of the bores look like they been through the ringer...twice. That's why I'd never buy a long gun at a pawn shop.

LongTrang

I have never seen so may false.wrong statements about pawn shops. First 150.00 is a fair offer for something that is gonna sit on someones shelf for most likely a very long time. Used long guns don't exactly sell for very well in any pawn shop. There is a very small customer base that these guys have to deal with when it comes to rifles, and even smaller when it comes to used ones. Some of these guns sit for years before they sell them. Then there is the police report they have to run. They take the risk in loosing every gun they buy. They submit a police report every day for the items they pawned and purchased. If it comes up stolen, the gun gets taken from them. Would you want to loan/buy at fair market value when you take the risk of losing the item? Also who would loan/buy and try to turn a 30 percent profit at the marked price, thats just stupid. New guns yes because there is much competition for pricing, most stores make 10%, sometimes less. Used around 25 to 30 after haggling. Gotta leave room to make a deal.

For the statement about guns being stolen and then ending up on the shelves for sale again. Well it does not quite work that way. When they file a police report and send in the description and serial numbers thats it for those guns unless they get recovered. Then after the investigation which will most likely take over a year they might get them back, normally insurance has paid them for them already and they just put new ones on the shelf. I can assure you that they are not claiming guns are stolen then reselling them later.

Over all pawn shops are hit or miss. The smaller ones are normally over priced on everything and not willing to deal. Thats why the don't do well and stay small. The larger ones got there by making good deals, and creating a good customer base. Those are the ones you want to shop at. I normally shop at candler road pawn shop. I get great deals there and they are a benelli, and kimber master dealer. They make some killer deals on their benelli shotguns. Don't pay their marked price, they are map pricing. Make them a fair offer on the gun, you might be supprised. Also, arrowhead pawn shop. Its smaller but they do an incredible amount of business. Candler is my go to, but both are great do deal with.

JohnK

It seems like I can buy a new firearm for a price that's comparable to the asking price of a used one no matter where it's priced at. Look at prices wherever you want, go to gunwatcher and add $10 for the dealer transfer and compare. Fact is some dealers (Cherokee Gun and Pawn) don't even charge for transfer. I don't blame a man for selling his wares for what someone will pay however I ain't paying it myself.

pottydoc

I have never seen so may false.wrong statements about pawn shops. First 150.00 is a fair offer for something that is gonna sit on someones shelf for most likely a very long time. Used long guns don't exactly sell for very well in any pawn shop. There is a very small customer base that these guys have to deal with when it comes to rifles, and even smaller when it comes to used ones. Some of these guns sit for years before they sell them. Then there is the police report they have to run. They take the risk in loosing every gun they buy. They submit a police report every day for the items they pawned and purchased. If it comes up stolen, the gun gets taken from them. Would you want to loan/buy at fair market value when you take the risk of losing the item? Also who would loan/buy and try to turn a 30 percent profit at the marked price, thats just stupid. New guns yes because there is much competition for pricing, most stores make 10%, sometimes less. Used around 25 to 30 after haggling. Gotta leave room to make a deal.

For the statement about guns being stolen and then ending up on the shelves for sale again. Well it does not quite work that way. When they file a police report and send in the description and serial numbers thats it for those guns unless they get recovered. Then after the investigation which will most likely take over a year they might get them back, normally insurance has paid them for them already and they just put new ones on the shelf. I can assure you that they are not claiming guns are stolen then reselling them later.

Over all pawn shops are hit or miss. The smaller ones are normally over priced on everything and not willing to deal. Thats why the don't do well and stay small. The larger ones got there by making good deals, and creating a good customer base. Those are the ones you want to shop at. I normally shop at candler road pawn shop. I get great deals there and they are a benelli, and kimber master dealer. They make some killer deals on their benelli shotguns. Don't pay their marked price, they are map pricing. Make them a fair offer on the gun, you might be supprised. Also, arrowhead pawn shop. Its smaller but they do an incredible amount of business. Candler is my go to, but both are great do deal with.
Here in Florida, if your stolen property is found at a pawn shop, you have to pay the shop whatever they paid the seller for it. Pawn shops exist to buy stolen goods, and swindle people having hard times out of money. Obviously not all that f them, but most.

pottydoc

The laws could easily be different in Ga. Maybe you guys are lucky, and don't have as many lawyers up there as we do here. I know what I posted about Fl is correct, had to buy tools back several times over the years. It made me about as mad as I can get, but it as cheaper than buying new stuff.

LongTrang

Your wrong. If you write down your serial numbers and keep a proof of purchase. Make a police report and include the description and serial number. If they turn up in a pawn shop it will get flagged and picked up by a detective. You will get your items back once the investigation is over, unless it was paid out to your by insurance, cant double dip. Does not mater what state. However you cant just walk in and demand something back if you never reported it stolen.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Your wrong. If you write down your serial numbers and keep a proof of purchase. Make a police report and include the description and serial number. If they turn up in a pawn shop it will get flagged and picked up by a detective. You will get your items back once the investigation is over, unless it was paid out to your by insurance, cant double dip. Does not mater what state. However you cant just walk in and demand something back if you never reported it stolen.

Hey don't mess up a good story.

killerv

It's not poor choices all the time. Some people go through rough patches, etc, have to sell stuff to put food on the table. layoffs, tax bills, divorces,...ok, from the poor choice of getting married, I'll give you that. I think I read somewhere only 1 out of 6 americans have atleast 2 grand in savings put up.

The shops with more foot traffic can give more for items/gun...its simple as that. Why would they give $400 for a $500 gun for it to sit on the shelf for 2 years, plus the inventory tax involved and the possibility it could be stolen and lose the money all together. They take a gamble every time. Figure a 40% markup at a reputable pawn shop on used guns. I bought a beautiful 20ga beretta 390 once from a reputable shop who got it from a regular customer, who got it from another pawn shop years ago, ATF came and got the gun from me....stolen off a UPS trucks years prior.

bullgator

I don't go into many pawn shops as a habit. However I popped into one after a dentist appointment the other day and they had a nylon 66 with only minor surface rust on the receiver for $325. I wasn't sure if that was a fair price or not so I left without it. I've wanted a one of those since my teens.

Robert28

I shop online now and just have it sent to my ffl dealer who charges me $10, sometimes doesn't charge me anything (AR lowers and things like that). He also gives me VERY fair prices when it comes to trading in guns. Traded in a gun to him for $400 when all the pawn shops wanted to give me $150-225.lol Pawn shops around here are trying to sell used Shield 9's for $369 and you can get them all day long for $289 and under new if you just take 5 mins to shop around. Plus the rebate of $75.

44magpastor

yep.....a bunch....

Here is my experience with pawn shops

1. They ask more for a gun used gun, than it can be bought new.

2. They low ball every offer. And seem surprised when I won't accept $250 for a Remington 700 with a Nikon scope (I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea)

3. They aren't very willing to negotiate. Say a gun is 379.
"What's your best cash price?"
"I'll let it go for $359 plus tax"
"How about $325"
"Nah. 359 is the best I can do"
"Ok. Thanks anyway"
"Thanks for stopping by"

Robert28

The only pawn shop I ever did business with frequently was also a gun store, so it wasn't your traditional pawn shop even though technically it was. They lost my business when they stopped taking credit and debit cards because they claimed it cost them too much money. Their prices have become very uncompetitive with gun prices rapidly falling, they can't keep up at all. No I'm not going to pay top dollar for guns I can buy elsewhere for much cheaper and have them sent to my ffl dealer and still come out way ahead than just buying from you. So many online dealers are doing free shipping right now and many guns are coming with rebates trying to move some of this stuff.

weagle

Here is my experience with pawn shops

1. They ask more for a gun used gun, than it can be bought new.

2. They low ball every offer. And seem surprised when I won't accept $250 for a Remington 700 with a Nikon scope (I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea)

3. They aren't very willing to negotiate. Say a gun is 379.
"What's your best cash price?"
"I'll let it go for $359 plus tax"
"How about $325"
"Nah. 359 is the best I can do"
"Ok. Thanks anyway"
"Thanks for stopping by"

Having sold guns for many years; if you ask "what's your best cash price?" and I give you a number, I'm not going lower than that. To do so would make me a liar.

Every Pawn shop is a different. Like any other business, some are great, some are average and some are terrible.

Personally I love shopping in Pawn stores and seldom pass one by.

44magpastor

Having sold guns for many years; if you ask "what's your best cash price?" and I give you a number, I'm not going lower than that. To do so would make me a liar.

Every Pawn shop is a different. Like any other business, some are great, some are average and some are terrible.

Personally I love shopping in Pawn stores and seldom pass one by.

How can I put this?
Many times I think the "best cash price" given at many pawn shops is horse hockey.

Certainly not all. But many of the ones I've dealt with have been ridiculous.

Gaswamp

picked up a Remington 1100 for $215 yesterday at a pawn shop

PappyHoel

I miss Ft Hood. There was a pawn store every block and you could find the best guns at cheap prices. I still have a few gems that I found. I found a mak90 Norinco once and they had no idea what they had. Bought it for like $250