Pawn Shop Pet Peeve - Used Gun Prices (my rant)

44magpastor

Before I begin, let me say that a seller has the right to ask whatever price he or she desires. In the end, if a potential buyer doesn't like the prices, the best thing to do is simply walk away. That is exactly what I did today....I walked away.

I like Remington rifles. I like the wood stock 700's. I like the 760/7600 pumps, the 742 Woodsmasters and the newer 7400s. I have a couple of newer 700's and a one 7400. I am always looking to add to my collection and stopped in my local pawn shop because....you just never know.

Behind the counter, there were probably 8 older 742 Woodsmasters, in several calibers. Some had the old basket weave stock. Most had see-thru mounts and inexpensive scopes mounted on them. Every one I could see was priced $519 and up. Pretty steep for old rifles that generally sell for around $350 +/-, depending on condition, etc.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/BI.aspx?mfg=1000230&mo=3001617

I passed those by and looked at the offerings in the rotating glass case. There are 2 wood stocked Remington 700 ADLs. The wood looked nice and I didn't notice any rust or pitting on the metal. What I did notice was an outrageous price...at least to me. Each one had a price tag with $619.00 on it. I thought to myself, "Dollars?":hair:

More than a little disappointed, I walked away. You may ask, "If you saw something you liked, why didn't you make an offer?"

Because #1 Nobody offered to help me, as I browsed the shop. And #2 I know if I had talked to someone...any offer I made would have been refused.

Offering 350 on a rifle marked 519 or more isn't going to work. Neither will offering 425 on a rifle marked 619.

I probably could have bought the 742 for $489...and the 700 for $575. Still WAAAY too much for those guns.

You know good and well the pawn shop probably has 200-250 in those guns. It bugs me that they could sell them for a reasonable price and still make a handsome profit. Instead they would rather wait and hope to make a killing off someone who doesn't know any better.

Like I said, a shop owner has the right to ask what he wants. But he won't get that price from me. Best of luck to those folks, maybe they will find someone to pay 200 bucks more than their guns are worth.

rayjay

There used to be a pawn shop over in Snellville that I stopped in about twice a year or less over an 18 year period. There were many guns that had been there on the racks for that whole period of time. I theory was that some pawn shops make so much money on the interest payments that they have no need to sell much of their inventory.

One thing I DO know. Thinking your customers are stupid is stupid.

Darien1

There are 4 or 5 pawn shops or gun stores that sell used guns in Milledgeville. I shop at one on one end of town and one about 10 miles away on the other end of town. I pass the other 3 going from one to the other. I don't bother with the ones in me middle because they just don't want my business bad enough.

44magpastor

There are 4 or 5 pawn shops or gun stores that sell used guns in Milledgeville. I shop at one on one end of town and one about 10 miles away on the other end of town. I pass the other 3 going from one to the other. I don't bother with the ones in me middle because they just don't want my business bad enough.

Hey I was born and raised in Milledgeville. I know exactly what you mean

Flaustin1

Pastor, what store were you in. PM me if youd like. Im from the area and im curious to know if its the same store ive had dealings with.

wareagle700

I'm never hesitant on making an offer, worse case scenario, they say no. I've been surprised more than once and walked away with a gun though.

Nimrod71

I have seen the same thing many times. You can buy a new gun cheaper than one of their's. But they have the right and they must be making money or they wouldn't be there. They just don't sell as many guns as they could. Oh well, make them an offer, all they can say is no.

specialk

I guess 90 perent of the guns in swap and sell are posted by pawnbrokers then.....

GA native

I'm never hesitant on making an offer, worse case scenario, they say no. I've been surprised more than once and walked away with a gun though.

We used to call it haggling. They start too high, you lowball em, and meet somewhere in the middle.

state159

Me personally, I'd rather buy a new gun and know that it's not stolen than buy a used, fair priced gun and have doubts.

Horns

I have never seen a decent price on a good gun at a pawn shop. And I have been to many.

rosewood

I have found several great deals at pawn shops over the years. Have also seen overpriced guns at the same shops. I have learned to make them an offer and see what they say. This one shop has had the same 2 guns for like 6 years . I keep going in hoping they will finally realize they are overpriced but no luck yet. It used to be run by some guys that new guns. Some women bought it and I think they base their prices solely on kbb instead of the market. Maybe one day they will realize that inventory is costing the money sitting there for years.

U have to frequent the shops to find the deals.

44magpastor

I have found several great deals at pawn shops over the years. Have also seen overpriced guns at the same shops. I have learned to make them an offer and see what they say. This one shop has had the same 2 guns for like 6 years . I keep going in hoping they will finally realize they are overpriced but no luck yet. It used to be run by some guys that new guns. Some women bought it and I think they base their prices solely on kbb instead of the market. Maybe one day they will realize that inventory is costing the money sitting there for years.

U have to frequent the shops to find the deals.

I agree with that. With respect to this particular shop, I've bought there in the past....But its been about 3 years. Since then, I've checked back every 6 months or so and they are WAY too high on almost everything.

I guess I need to get more comfortable with making an offer. Its just hard for me, when the asking price is ridiculously high. Why not just put a "cash money" price on the item and cut out all the other junk.

I guess because they know someone will buy eventually.

GunnSmokeer

I never find "good deals" at pawn shops.
The best I can find is a fair market price, not any more than the actual selling price of similar guns on Gunbroker. Of course at the local pawn shop, I don't pay FFL fees or shipping, but I will pay state and county sales tax.

I got a single shot .22 rifle for $25 at a pawn shop that was going out of business.

A few years back I bought a Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag with a cheap 3x-9x hunting scope on it for $275.

But, on the other hand, I've seen Taurus / Rossi blued steel .38 snubby revolvers priced at $350 in pawn shops.

I've seen one badly worn (really sloppy, rattled when you shook it) old (1920s) Colt revolver with no bluing left (just a brown patina) and a BUBBA bobbed barrel and NO FRONT SIGHT marked at $700. That make and model of gun wouldn't be worth $700 even if it were in 95% condition with no mods.

Of course that pawn shop went out of business. He also had some archery equipment and was offering to sell used arrows for more than I could buy brand-new ones at a big box sporting goods store. I can guess why he went under. He was way too proud of his inventory. No, it wasn't the same shop where I got the cheap .22 rifle.

rosewood

There is this one pawn shop directly across from Harbor Freight. I have seen HF tools in their store, used for more than new at Harbor Freight. On the other hand, I picked up a Savage 110 30-06 with wood stock for $215 out the door a year or so ago from them. Guy said it had been on their shelf too long. Got a Contender 44 mag for $360 from one shop about 4 years ago. Sometimes you just have to keep looking, the good deals do show up from time to time. Of course there are those shops I gave up on and just ride on by.

I don't like haggling either and I am with you 44mag, when the starting price is too high, I just keep on walking. I feel like they are insulting me when the price starts ridiculously high. Either that or they are trying to get one over on me.

Rosewood