Gun Prices

earlthegoat2

I went to a “running deer shoot” at a Sportsmans club in Pennsylvania 15 years ago. I didn’t know they were having it so I didn’t bring my gun but a nice guy loaned me his 760 game master in 222 to use. I won 2 of the rounds and tied a guy in the third round with it.

Sweet gun. He wouldn’t consider selling it then but there is no telling what that gun is worth today. It was in mint condition. 100% perfect.

That guy called me “sniper” from that day forward. Lol

You had to shoot (and hit) the deers vitals at 100 yards with three bullets while it was wizzing along a trolly line.

He said that he had bought the gun many years ago specifically for that competition. It was fast with 0 recoil.
222 760s have been worth north of $2000 for quite some time.
There are a few 760s in 223 as well for similar money.

It used to be any 760 or 7600 in any cartridge but 30-06, 270, and 35 Whelen demanded a premium.

That is still true today except 35 Whelens have really pulled away into the stratosphere as well.

Including the Grice exclusives any 760/7600 in 6mm Rem, 260 Rem, 257 Roberts, 35 Rem, 222, and 223 get insane money.

280 and 300 Savage get a decent premium over the 30-06 and 270s.

Carbines carry a nearly 100% premium across the board and even more in rare cartridges like my 280 mentioned above.

SC Hunter

My Dad has 2 742's in 30-06 one will shoot appropriately the other is a fancy single shot. He's got a distant cousin that knows how to make it run he says. I told daddy to let him make it run and we'd both kill deer with them one year.

transfixer

It's crazy all of the mixed opinions I hear on the 742! My dad has the woods master in 308 and I love that thing! He's shot so many deer with it too. Never had any feeding issues either with both factory rounds and reloads. Very accurate too for a semi auto

They were fine if they were cleaned regularly and not shot a few hundred times, my Dad gave me one when I was 16, I killed countless deer with it, but back then ammo was relatively cheap, ( late 70's) and I liked to target practice, I probably put somewhere between 500 and 1000rds through that rifle, and I'll admit didn't keep it lubed very well, I literally wore down the rails in the receiver that the bolt ran in, it started acting up and I put it away for another rifle, many years later I picked up a parts gun and swapped receiver and bolt, still have the rifle, although haven't used it in a few years.

They were never known for consistent accuracy though, likely 2 or 3 inch groups at 100 would be the best you could get out of one .

earlthegoat2

They were fine if they were cleaned regularly and not shot a few hundred times, my Dad gave me one when I was 16, I killed countless deer with it, but back then ammo was relatively cheap, ( late 70's) and I liked to target practice, I probably put somewhere between 500 and 1000rds through that rifle, and I'll admit didn't keep it lubed very well, I literally wore down the rails in the receiver that the bolt ran in, it started acting up and I put it away for another rifle, many years later I picked up a parts gun and swapped receiver and bolt, still have the rifle, although haven't used it in a few years.

They were never known for consistent accuracy though, likely 2 or 3 inch groups at 100 would be the best you could get out of one .

A 7400 I had in n 280 didn’t like to be accurate either. It was a 5”@100 gun with premium ammo.

rosewood

Funny part of all of this is that my dad bought his brand new back in 1969 for $150 and that came with a Leupold 4X scope a sling and 2 boxes of shells. lol

I wish he had bought a few extra magazines for it. I have 2 spare magazines for mine, but they were designed for the 742 so I had to do a bit of "modification" to them to get them to function correctly in my 760.

When my dad passes, I will use his gun since it's the exact same gun and it is still in great condition and use mine for parts if/when needed.
According to the inflation calculator, $150 in 1969 would be $1196 today.

Interesting when you put it in those terms.

Rosewood

Big7

The Oracle
I bought my dad a 7400 in .243 Win.
He had it 30 years and never shot it.

I sold it for $450.00 (I think)
when he passed away in 2017 as I didn't figure it was an heirloom because he never shot it.

I still have his Mosin Nagant and 1100 and they won't be sold while I'm living.
Those were "his rifle" and "his shotgun".

Side note: I don't like the tall iron sights on Remington rifles but I do love Remington shotguns.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My Dad had a 30-06 Remington auto, jammed more than it fed. He got rid of it and got a .270 Remington pump. I borrowed it went to do a second shot and wouldn‘t feed. The front edge of the magazine was a fraction from seating though it felt seated. A hard hit with my palm and it fed. Never borrowed it again and never owned a Remington.

sleepr71

Only experience I’ve had with these is a 742,in 243 cal. My Dad bought it new in the late 70’s or so. I can remember him shooting lug nuts off of old junk cars that were left on the farm. 1” groups at 100 yds was easy with that rifle,and it never gave any problems,ever.

JeffinPTC

I hunted with a 7400 in 30-06 with a Bushnell Banner 3x9 for 30 years. Bought it on Friday before opening day of 1982, fired 8 into a box that afternoon and killed my first buck in Jones County the next afternoon. The longest kill was 220 yards. The only issue I had with it was the morning I closed the bolt very softly to avoid noise, then missed the nicest buck of my life because the bolt was out of battery, so that's on me.
And its got those see thru rings that Briar hates.Rem 7400.png

killerv

Only experience I’ve had with these is a 742,in 243 cal. My Dad bought it new in the late 70’s or so. I can remember him shooting lug nuts off of old junk cars that were left on the farm. 1” groups at 100 yds was easy with that rifle,and it never gave any problems,ever.
Probably shot that group off a hood of a truck too onto a styrofoam dinner container....

sleepr71

I have a magazine for that rifle in .243. I will send it to you if you want it. Just PM me an address to mail it to.

Free.
Wow! Tell you what…let me double..triple check that it is a 742,and I will report back. I’m 99.9%…but haven’t seen it out in years. Thank you.!

Dirtroad Johnson

The 1st deer rifle that I bought myself back in the 70's was the 742 in 30-06, it was bad to jam. Someone stole it out of my old 78 bronco one night in the 80's when I was in the Ocilla pool room having a large time. Never saw it again.