Gun Prices

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Marlin lever actions are probably the most over priced rifles around. They're cool and all but they're still a $500 rifle selling for $1200. Even the post JM Remington ones are ridiculous. I'm not sure why a plain Jane lever action hunting rifle is suddenly made of gold.
Because they don't make them anymore. You can't buy a new production JM Marlin. Yes, Ruger is making a fine 336, much better quality than the Remington versions, but the JM stamped Marlins became instant collectors once they stopped making them.

That is also why the pre-64 Model 70s don't lose value, and the 760/7600/740/7400 , and older Rem 700s are now climbing in price. The re-started Remington co isn't making them so people cant go get a new one. And just like the Rem-lins(hit or miss quality)and Ruger-lins (expensive) if Remington did remake the pumps and autos they will ask $1400+ for them, so people are now paying $800 for the originals knowing they were quality made.

furtaker

Because they don't make them anymore. You can't buy a new production JM Marlin. Yes, Ruger is making a fine 336, much better quality than the Remington versions, but the JM stamped Marlins became instant collectors once they stopped making them.

That is also why the pre-64 Model 70s don't lose value, and the 760/7600/740/7400 , and older Rem 700s are now climbing in price. The re-started Remington co isn't making them so people cant go get a new one. And just like the Rem-lins(hit or miss quality)and Ruger-lins (expensive) if Remington did remake the pumps and autos they will ask $1400+ for them, so people are now paying $800 for the originals knowing they were quality made.
Definitely, but it isn't only the JMs that are expensive. Even the used Remington Marlins are bringing premium prices.

killerv

Not gonna lie, when I saw those crazy prices I thought about selling my 1894p in 44mag. I watched two of the stainless laminate ones sell for almost 3 grand a piece

Robert28

Prices on the Ruger ar556 and the M&P15 sport II seem to still be inflated a good bit. You used to could get both of those around $500-550 but I haven’t seen one under $650 for a long time.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
My second favorite woods gun is my Marlin 444.
Screenshot_20210203-205101_Imgur.jpg
I read they are selling again but for big money. Paid $500 for mine and its a JM marked.

specialk

Supply/demand

rosewood

I only paid $225 for my 1894CP in 357 mag at a pawn shop maybe 15-18 years ago. They were going for $400 at the time. Even before the pandemic, I was seeing them on ODT for $800. I won't sell it.

Rosewood

JonathanG2013

About 23 years ago I bought a Winchester model 70 270 with a Leupold 3x9x40 scope for $550 at a pawn shop in Dawsonville, GA. Now a simular set up I saw going for like $1300.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Definitely, but it isn't only the JMs that are expensive. Even the used Remington Marlins are bringing premium prices.
True. But it is still the same reasons. Once the last version of Rem Arms went out of business their firearms became collectable even though quality sometimes suffered for the last decade. Now that Ruger is producing their version of Marlin rifles, we won't see any new JM or Rem stamped Marlins again. What's out there is it.

Stainlessman

I went by a gun store in Turner Maine today
The sign out front said (company name) AR's in stock $475.
My Windham Weaponry was $1100. Bucks.
I'd love to get one in 308.

frankwright

I looked at Gun Broker, some of the 740, 7400's are reasonably priced. Some, especially special edition are crazy.
Now a Savage 99 like I have always wanted is crazy.
I paid less $550 for my Remlin 1895 about five years ago and have had no problems.

Shane Dockery

I have a 7400 in 270 that I’ve killed lots of deer with since 1987. Never have had a minutes trouble out of it. It’s a keeper.
Same here. Killed my first deer with it around '88. Still in my safe with an old Redfield Illuminator scope on it.