Remember the "Good Old Days?"

Anvil Head

Those were great days when everyone could chip in their pocket change and we could cruise all evening. Remember the "gas wars"? got some for 11 cents one time.

Bill Mc

I remember going to a hardware store and buying 5 shotgun shells at a time so I could hunt.

They would break a box and sell individual shells.

Then my buddies and I would walk down Conley Dr in East Point to our hunting spot. Nobody was ever concerned about a bunch of teens walking down the road, all caring shotguns.

Darkhorse

40 or 50 years ago everybody knew what a Model 700 Remington looked like. And the BDL model was almost untouchable to most folks. Along with the Model 70 and a few Savages and Marlins everybody knew these rifles.
A couple of years ago I dusted off my old Model 700 BDL and took it to the range to do some load work up.
I was really surprised when several shooters asked me what kind of rifle that was an how pretty the stock looked. There are just so many more choices out there now that some folks just don't recognize the old M700 anymore.
I would never have believed it if someone had told me that back in '75.

Anvil Head

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember going to a hardware store and buying 5 shotgun shells at a time so I could hunt.

They would break a box and sell individual shells.

Then my buddies and I would walk down Conley Dr in East Point to our hunting spot. Nobody was ever concerned about a bunch of teens walking down the road, all caring shotguns.
The stores around home used to do that. I had a single shot H&R Topper 20 gauge and a single shot Springfield-Stevens .22 that I hunted everything with. I could buy 20 gauge for 5-10 cents a shell.

Back then, we usually just hunted. Not for anything specific, just for whatever we saw. Squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, grouse, quail, coons, ducks. We all carried one or two "punkinballs" in our pocket in case we saw a deer or bear. :)

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Well, I ain't yet as old as some of you. But I remember being able to walk into Roses department store and get an SKS for $70. I remember buying Winchester Wildcat .22 for $.88 a box!

Hillbilly, I ain't heard the term "punkinball" in a loooong time. Thanks for bringing that back.

1776Flintlock

I have and old box because i keep all used brass in it the boxes they came with. Winchester 30.30 150 Grain bullets with the price sticker still on it $5.99

:hair: