Fish, done proper.

3ringer

I knew I shouldn’t have looked. 3 hours to lunch break

Big7

The Oracle
Dem' ain't perch. :whip:

Dem' are Crappie, not croppie either.

Looks good as usual Nic and I like the way you scored them
but I've never tried it that way. (except big saltwater fish)

You told me about that on some Jacks or something a while back
and just eat the bones and all.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dem' ain't perch. :whip:

Dem' are Crappie, not croppie either.

Looks good as usual Nic and I like the way you scored them
but I've never tried it that way. (except big saltwater fish)

You told me about that on some Jacks or something a while back
and just eat the bones and all.

Dem are perch, speckled perch. Crappies and croppies are what yankees call em. Us South Georgia and Florida Crackers call em the proper name.

Scoring those fish like that is just to make em cook even all the way through without cutting one side off. For jack and redhorse suckers you gash em. You cut the sides off, leave the skin on em, lay em skin side down, and with a real sharp knife, cut all the way down to barely touch the skin, move down 1/8th of an inch and do it again, all the way down the side. Then a little cayenne pepper, salt, roll em in cornmeal, and fry em in 325 degree grease till they float.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Excellent.... is all I can say , I grew up in south ga and the first time I heard someone say crappie I didn’t know what they were talking about !

Dirtroad Johnson

Dem are perch, speckled perch. Crappies and croppies are what yankees call em. Us South Georgia and Florida Crackers call em the proper name.

Scoring those fish like that is just to make em cook even all the way through without cutting one side off. For jack and redhorse suckers you gash em. You cut the sides off, leave the skin on em, lay em skin side down, and with a real sharp knife, cut all the way down to barely touch the skin, move down 1/8th of an inch and do it again, all the way down the side. Then a little cayenne pepper, salt, roll em in cornmeal, and fry em in 325 degree grease till they float.

:cheers:

Bream Pole

Man o Man does that ever look fine. I like 'em on the bone too, but sure is easy to filet. My wife wants 'em off the bone also. Bad hips or no bad hips I have access to a pond where I can slaughter them and those pictures have made me make up my mind to go the latter part of the week. Be Thursday before I can.

leftystar

Nic I believe I seen you up in Saunders slough Friday crazy windy. I believe you were headed to the ramp. You talked to us for a sec we were in a gray Carolina skiff. I just put it together.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic I believe I seen you up in Saunders slough Friday crazy windy. I believe you were headed to the ramp. You talked to us for a sec we were in a gray Carolina skiff. I just put it together.

No, it wasn`t me. Gonna be a couple of weeks before I can get down there.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Nic, great looking. I haven't had sac a lait since I got a three day pass at Fort Polk and went camping and fishing on Toledo Bend and that is ancient history. Gil

GA1dad

Wow!! Looks great Nic!!

P C I

Nice I love crappies our spawn here in Iowa is around the middle of May. Maybe later this year its been cold.