Allatoona linesides 12/31 and 1/2

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Fished Allatoona Friday and managed 6 hyrids up to 6# on shad pulled on flat lines along the main lake banks and points around mid-lake. We missed a ton of strikes and should have easily boated twice that many.

Sunday I got out on the lake with both my boys and we picked up 2 linesides within 10 minutes of fishing outside of an area where the birds and 9 other boats were working. The birds were leaving about the time we showed up so we only caught the tail end of the surface bite. Picked up a few fish here and there and then noticed the birds working again around 3:30. Had some more missed pulls and then both kids hooked into fish. Brian (the 6 yr old) landed his 7# striper and we waited on Josh (8 yr old) to get his fish in. His fish had been wallowing around on top and I couldn't really tell how big it was until he got it closer to the boat, and I got the net on it. The beast weighed in at 24# and dad, and I are having it mounted for him.

When I was 11 I caught an 8# largemouth out of West Point and thought I was something, but to see my 8 year old son catch a 24# striper all by himself has me REALLY excited. Not to mention I have not landed a striper that big.

Attachments

• Josh640.JPG
    Josh640.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 335

Hal

Way to go Josh and Brian!! :yeah: Nice fish!!
Now how about teaching Dad how to catch some. :fine:

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Hal, I think you're right!! I don't mind being the guide who gets them there though. :fine:

Denny, thanks for the congrats.

Last edited:

mepps

now that's awesome. i've got an 8 year old myself, i'd love to hook him up with something like that. i go with my father in law on lanier sometimes for stripers, but we seldom do any good.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Lake striper fishing

Mepps, you may want to try hiring a guide for lake stripers. Up until last year I had not consistantly caught many linesides on a lake, but Robert Eidson took us out on Allatoona last spring and my hook-up rate on lake linesides has increased dramatically.

I fish for them on the rivers around Rome during the summer and we wear them out, but lake linesides had been a mystery to me until last year. It certainly provides for some good fishing until the river fishing starts picking up in the Spring.

jkp

Danny,
Tell your boys way to go, haven't seen that size fish in a while.
J

Jeff Raines

I was there today with a friend in his boat,we had ignition switch problems first thing this morn and had to put another one in before we could launch.
We only put 1,3 lb hybrid in the boat.Seems they were only hitting small bait.

But I did meet Ellis Leigh at the boat ramp.

Great fish Danny

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Jeff, that was my dad. He called me at work while he was on the lake and was asking me where all the fish were. He said the birds were there diving all over and he could see a few fish busting the surface, but the fish were not biting his shad. Sounds like he should have been using minnows or threadfins for bait. He also mentioned the wind was pretty bad.

Jeff Raines

Yeah,I think if we'd had small minnows we would have caught more.