Yardbird throw down at work....

Dub

Very fortunate to have a wonderful group of folks to work with. Was reassigned a couple months ago to a new team and they sorta called me out after a short period.

They noted that I tended to bring in my lunches and would have the break room smelling good when using the microwaves to heat stuff up.

My old team had two guys who were doing great at local & semi-local bbq events. They were always bringing in some killer bbq.

New team has been sorta sizing me up. Things are going well....we are all learning each other and their controllable metrics have been really looking great. Sure makes it fun when things fall into place like that.

I asked my boss for some funds for a morale builder....he asked a few questions and then signed off on it without hesitation. He's a great boss, by the way. I'm very fortunate to work with great coworkers at every level.....until it gets to corporate....then it's a different story, lol.

Placed my order for some chicken halves from a local meat market that absolutely did a wonderful job. Called it in on Friday and it was ready as promised when I get there Tuesday morning when they opened.

While there I grabbed some wings, smoked sausage and hyoooge jugs of Abrams Old Fashioned BBQ Sauce (Burke County, Georgia origins, I believe...could be wrong....I'll be buying more for home use, too. Used this sauce as I've done so in the past....it's thin and mops on easily on the grill and gives a nice carmelized effect...and has slight sweet, slight sweet and nice tanginess that appeals to wide range of folks).

Got home and broke down the order of chicken, bagged 'em and ice'd em down. Two huge coolers for just the bird & sausage.....could've used a third for some of the side items.

My little truck was slam packed to the gills with dinner stuff.

Borrowed a sweet grill that ran really smoothly.....in spite of the winds. Got it positioned so as to minimize wind effect and used my truck as a windbreak and all was well.

Gotta love tailgate cooking.

Sides were simple and ran in the grills smoker box: pans of messican street corn, collards, baked beans and taters with onions & sausage.

As the grill was coming up to temp me and my new lead guy started slicing and dicing stuff for sides. He's an avid cook, too, it seems. We had a lot of fun doing the cook while our crew was busy knocking out some great numbers. Win-Win.

Next time I'm buying smaller sized pans so as to fit more into each load of that smoker box. It worked like a champ on the sides.

This was the rub I went with on the yardbird....I'd used it in the past.....it's not overly sweet/salty/etc. Figured it'd appeal to wide range of folks. Turns out I was right.

As the chicken was getting close....my partner spied some teriyaki sauce and Texas Pete leftover from the taters and made the suggestion we hit the wings with it. Turned out to be a super move.....we did another batch of the halves in this way, too.

My Thermapen got a workout and was absolutely the key to a great result. We nailed that yardbird cook bigtime. Juicy & moist results that were spot on. I've had this pen for years and use it almost every single cook at the house....bigtime reliance on this thing. I've used it on steak cooks at work, too.....folks were taken aback at first when I asked them to give me a number on how many of rare, medium rare, medium, etc. The Thermapen delivers excellence & consistency that I simply can't get otherwise on large or small cooks. I'd just popped in new batteries (for the first time) before this chicken cook.

My plate later on after everyone went through the line for seconds....and the grill was cleaned .

I can't wait for them to set some new records so we can do some ribeye cooks. I've done them for my old crew and another crew who broke that record a month later....local shop cut them 1.5" thick and I soaked them in Paymaster's rub. Overwhelming popularity by both crews that they still talk about :cool:.

Looking forward to getting it done again soon. :fine:

I can't wait until I'm off work this coming weekend.....gonna rock some chicken at home with Abrams Old Fashioned Sauce used....as soon as I get some more. It's not marketed very largely....but it dang sure should be. :flag:

naildrvr

Great looking cook! Looks like everything turned out as planned. I could use a good employee, the pay ain't that great but we could sho' tho' down on some groceries:fine:

ryork

If you can cook for a crowd and it turn out great, you know what you're doing and that looks outstanding!

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Mercy ! Y’all hiring or naw ?

Dub

Thanks, everyone.

Sure was fun. I wished I’d took more pics, but I had my hands full.

Can’t wait to do it again soon.

Looking forward to a mini-version of same cook with the family this weekend. Will be using same sauce, too.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Man Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one fine throwdown right there. I know those folks were pleased!!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gracious! :clap:

GA1dad

OUTSTANDING!! Great thread Dub!!! I agree about the Thermapen,,, cooking to temp equals great results!!

little rascal

That's a Chicken Pickin'!

What Ryork said......
If you can cook for a crowd and it turn out great, you know what you're doing and that looks outstanding!
Awesome work there as usual Mr. Dub!

Dub

Thanks folks.

It was a mighty fun cook.....good camaraderie throughout the cook and appreciation shown afterwards. I can't wait to do another one of some type for them again.

I stopped at the same meat market on my way home from work this morning and picked up this weekend's eats.....grabbed another gallon of the sauce that was used in the work cook, too.

Just gotta love a sauce that comes from the "Bird Dog Capital of The World". :)