Lumpkin County

treemutt

Just thought I would open one up for lumpkin co. I've saw plenty of acorns whit & red.Red's dropping already but not mature acorns.I'm not seeing any deer yet on ride home from work at night but it's early & hot still.I've got a few doe & small spikes on cam but nothing big.I got news from my neighbor who lets me bow hunt is 5 acres that there's one abouts that looks so big he wonders how he holds his head up.You all know how that goes though.

PappyHoel

Deer seem to be hitting the prime sources of food, crab apples, muscadines and honey suckles. I haven't seen signs of acorns dropping.

josh chatham

Ive seen a few acorns dropping. Seen some nice bucks. Hope one makes a mistake Saturday. Anyone been up high this year? Wondering if there is any use hunting NF this year. Last year was bad bc of the lack of acorns. Treemut, you keeping that waterman in line?

treemutt

I try Josh but you know hard that is.He is really jonesing on those pics of that big 9pt don't go & break his heart now by killing it before he has a chance

treemutt

This is to all the hunters in Lumpkin Co who has private property inside the city limits you bowhunt.The city council is gonna try to impose a regulation banning all archery hunting inside the city limits even though State law allows it.The work session is Sept the 18th at 3pm when this will be discussed.Lets show up in force & let them know how we feel you know the tree huggers will be there.
The DNR will be there to explain to them they can't do that along w/ the sheriff.So if you can on Sept the 18th at 3pm come to city hall on riley rd.
It's kinda ironic they will let people shoot rifles in Achasta to thin out the deer but want to stop your average hunter from using a bow on their own property.

Duff

This is to all the hunters in Lumpkin Co who has private property inside the city limits you bowhunt.The city council is gonna try to impose a regulation banning all archery hunting inside the city limits even though State law allows it.The work session is Sept the 18th at 3pm when this will be discussed.Lets show up in force & let them know how we feel you know the tree huggers will be there.
The DNR will be there to explain to them they can't do that along w/ the sheriff.So if you can on Sept the 18th at 3pm come to city hall on riley rd.
It's kinda ironic they will let people shoot rifles in Achasta to thin out the deer but want to stop your average hunter from using a bow on their own property.

Wow! Wish you guys luck. Who is spearheading this?

treemutt

There's a cpl of people in a subd. along w/ a cpl of council members as far as I know that's responsible for it. It all started last yr when a friend went hunting on a piece of family property in the subd. & a home owner saw him.Oh yea and its a pretty good size of a piece of prop I think a little over 20acres.They saw him again this yr going in to put up his stand So it's started all over.It amazes me how some people think it's their business to tell you what you can do on your own land.

josh chatham

Hey man! I just heard about this meeting myself. They can pass all the city ordinances they want to. City ordinance does not trump state law, nor does it trump federal law. Bottom line, people who like to get in others business and throw their weight around are pitching a fit because they want to be bullies. Not gonna happen in this case!!!

Hot Shot

Does anyone know of a club around lumpkin co that is looking for a member I lost my club in Rome the owner sold the property

Duff

There's a cpl of people in a subd. along w/ a cpl of council members as far as I know that's responsible for it. It all started last yr when a friend went hunting on a piece of family property in the subd. & a home owner saw him.Oh yea and its a pretty good size of a piece of prop I think a little over 20acres.They saw him again this yr going in to put up his stand So it's started all over.It amazes me how some people think it's their business to tell you what you can do on your own land.

Good luck. Tell them to pound sand.

Let us know how the meeting goes.

Fire Eater

Do these characters seeking to ban hunting in Dahlonega have names? What is their political party affiliation? Are they running for re-election? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Last edited:

pnome

Got busted by a doe this weekend. Acorns were dropping right behind me Saturday evening down low in a creek bottom.

josh chatham

Not real sure about who all is behind the banning... I will hold out on commenting on the internet until after the meeting. No reason to sling mud. Im sure the matter will be resolved in the right way at the meeting. Saw 3 doe this weekend hunting. No shots. Anyone kill any nice ones? Havent heard of anyone killing anything really.

treemutt

Josh boss says I gotta keep the plant running so can't make the meeting Thurs I hate it to.
I've only been once so far no deer gonna try again Thurs morning when its cooler.
Firs eater only know the area no names but some residents of Sky Country seem to be pushing it.I don't know what councilmen are w/ them.Try to make the meeting it should all come out in the wash.

kdiver58

I'm not seeing more than a few acorns dropping. Nothing but does on the deer cam. I see a lot of signs and foot prints but nothing of any size. I got skunked last year on the Lumpkin county land we lease. They did some logging in the spring and early summer. I'm hoping that helps. VERY unhappy with the number of pictures on the deer cam.

RedHeader

Just read the thread. What happened with the meeting? Wish I would have known about it. I don't hunt the area but live there.

treemutt

I wont know till Mon. I had to work Thurs so missed the meeting & was off Fri.I'll post when I find out what went on

josh chatham

DNR officer informed all involved that no city could outlaw bow hunting within city limits. Gun hunting can be outlawed because of the safety risks involved. Still some folks trying to give some folks a hard time about hunting in city limits but do not think much will come of it. Basically, the folks upset are people who do not hunt so I guess they do not understand that the chances of someone getting injured by arrows that fly out of the way are very slim. Like I said before though, its mainly people trying to throw their weight around and get their way. City Council of Dahlonega, DNR and Sheriffs office handled the situation in a very professional manner. As far as hunting goes... didnt get a chance to go this weekend. Hope I get to this week. Anyone hear of any nice ones getting shot? I have not.

treemutt

Thanks Josh pretty much what I heard went down.

Not getting to hunt yet gonna try in the morning if I can get up in time.Think I'll try the white oak patch at my neighbors for a cpl hrs. see what happens.I haven't heard of any kills.