Past few hunts

JohnE

Went out to a new spot last night. It is a new place I got that is an old orange grove, and is surrounded by mangrove marsh on three sides. Dropped the dogs at about 6 and rode the whole place and didn't get on a single hog. So right before dark we went to where we started at and saw a few tracks coming out of the mangroves. Just as soon as I let Bella out of the box she started bouncing with her nose in the air, then she took off. It wasn't two minutes and she had one bayed. My buddy Matt's dog Tanner went to her, and they were both baying so we figured it was a decent hog, so I cut doc loose and he sealed the deal.

Off to the right it drops off into some nasty saltwater mangrove marsh, then the indian river lagoon.
Hutnin002.jpg

Hutnin003.jpg

Hutnin004.jpg

Then last weekend I went out for a few hours. Dropped Bella and Tanner, about 5 minutes later Tanner got on one and it kept breaking on him. Bella went to him and neither one of them were really baying, just letting out a couple of barks every once in a while almost like they were trashing. Turned Doc loose and we still didn't hear anything. No barking no grunting, no squealing. So we went into some of the nastiest, thorniest vines you could imagine. It took us 10 minutes to get 50 yards. Once we got about 10 feet away I finally saw him, they had him caught in a wallow in the middle of those vines on the edge of a flag pond, he weighed about 225. He poked tanner up pretty good, but nothing sereous. We tied him and tried dragging him out through the pond which was about waist deep and we couldn't keep him above the water and he ended up drowning. Wish I would've had my camera on me for that one.

Turned Bella and Tanner out and right away Bella had one bayed, it sounded like a pretty rank hog, but when we got there is was a pregnant sow up under a pine tree rootball.
I have never seen the amount of hogs on a place like there is here, You can't walk 5 feet without standing in rootin, but it is the thickest place I have ever been.

Hutnin001.jpg

Last edited:

Tyson Wilkerson

looks like a fun time with huntin' buddies.