Police: Man aims gun at St. Pete officer's face

Jeffriesw

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/sep/22/police-man-aims-gun-st-pete-officers-face/

Police: Man aims gun at St. Pete officer's face
ADVERTISEMENT

By STEPHEN THOMPSON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 22, 2009

ST. PETERSBURG - A rookie police officer Monday night was up against a suspect who pointed a handgun at his face, but the officer chose not to fire, even though he was in fear for his life, St. Petersburg police said.

Within a second or two, the suspect took off running and dropped his weapon, St. Petersburg police spokesman George Kajtsa said. The probationary officer, Juric Slobodan, then put handcuffs on the man, who was lying on the ground, Kajtsa said.

The man since has been identified as Mickey Souvannarinh, a 23-year-old transient. He was charged with aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, fleeing and eluding, and felonious possession of a firearm

About 7 p.m. Monday, Slobodan responded to reports of a man waving a gun at the driver of a pickup truck in the vicinity of a KFC restaurant at 6300 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. N., Kajtsa said.

The man was described as an Asian male, roughly 20 years old and wearing at white-and-red striped shirt, Kajtsa said. With the help of a witness, Slobodan found the man nearby riding a bicycle, and the officer turned on his cruiser's lights and sirens, Kajtsa said.

The man rode off on his bicycle, and Slobodan decided to park his cruiser, Kajtsa said. Slobodan ran after the man, who now was running, too.

Slobodan yelled about three times for the man to stop some, Kajtsa said. When one of the man's hand disappeared from the officer's sight, the officer withdrew his department-issued weapon " 'because I was in fear for my life,' " Kajtsa said, reading from a police report written by Slobodan.

The second time Slobodan yelled, the man made a motion to lay the weapon down, but then continued running, Kajtsa said. The third time, the suspect slowed and turned, pointing his gun directly at Slobodan's face, Kajtsa said. The man didn't fire, then ran off again, but this time dropped the weapon before continuing, Kajtsa said.

Slobodan caught up to him and arrested him, Kajtsa said.

This fellow is extremely lucky this officer did not blow him away, and rightfully so...

contender*

He should be placed on paid leave and sent back to training. He should have shot the guy right there. I can't admire a cop for NOT shooting when the situation calls for it as much as I can't admire a cop for shooting when it is uncalled for. The next nut may pull the trigger.

This fellow is extremely lucky this officer did not blow him away, and rightfully so...

They are BOTH lucky.

Lindseys Grandpa

That young man needs to find another line of work, there is no shame if you can't take another person's life but you don't need to be in a job where your life or someone else's life may depend on it.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
That guy is supposed to be dead right now. I agree. That rookie cop might need to start looking for another occupation. The odds of being that lucky twice are not in his favor.

Coastie

There are some on here that believe that the officer should be brought up on charges for using excessive force, he did unholster his weapon.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
There are some on here that believe that the officer should be brought up on charges for using excessive force, he did unholster his weapon.

??:huh: Is that in another thread somewhere about this case? I don't see it in this one....