My Process for Pre-Spawn

CaptainSolo

Since we are all pretty much here to share info, I wanted to take some time and offer up my process on fishing during the pre-spawn. It seems like this time of year, with constantly changing conditions, it can be difficult to take even just a few days off and jump right back into catching fish in the same areas. That is why pre-spawn fishing, in many ways, is an exercise in going with the flow and finding fish in different places every day.

Though there are many different places to find fish during the pre-spawn, I tend to focus only on prime spawning bays, creeks and pockets. Once I find some good spawning areas that tend to get plenty of sun, and are protected from heavy spring winds, then I use a 3-step process to breaking down those areas. I have found that fish will generally be in at least one of these three types of situations on any given day in the spring.........and sometimes they will be in all three locations at the same time.

Here is my process:

1) Main Lake Current Brakes/Main Lake Ledges/Bluff Walls: My very first stop during the early spring, especially when the water temps are below 50-degrees, is where the main lake meets these protected bays. Generally, Im looking for the steepest structure that breaks current, or allows fish the ability to ambush and corral prey, and change depth zones without moving too far. Of course, a good map is essential for finding these areas, which is why I use my Navionics app on my iPad to do quick work of scouting out spots like this. These are really the same types of areas that bass winter in as well........so I kind of consider these areas pre-prespawn. The way I approach these areas is with a variety of techniques that cover all parts of the water column. Generally, I will start with a jerkbait, or some other bait that covers the first 5-foot or so, then I move on to a presentation I can control the depth and get a bit deeper- like an A-Rig or a single swimbait, or swimming a grub. Finally, if the fish arent suspended and hitting reaction baits, then I switch to either a football jig, or some type of finesse presentation.

2) Transition Banks/ Creek Channel Swings: Once the water starts warming into the 50's thats when i usually start seeing some pre-spawn movement going into these creeks and bays. Though fish will often traverse through the middle of channel, many fish will follow the shoreline into these areas and 45-degree banks (especially those with rocks) tend to be consistently holding fish during this period. Also, I will look for creek channel swings that get close to the shoreline, which are apparent on my Navionics maps by looking for the closest contour lines heading into the back of a bay. When Im fishing these transition banks, I really like using medium diving crankbaits that run between 4-8 feet. Baits like a DT-6, Shad Raps and a 200 Series Bandit seem to be my favorites. If the fish tend to be holding tight to cover, then hopefully I can get on a flipping bite (my favorite) and throw a jig at them.

3) Flats/Drains: Finally, once the temperature creeps over 55-degrees, I finally find the fish spreading out on flats in the backs of the bays, right before they move real shallow for spawning. The key is having flats and subtle drains that have some sort of cover available, like stumps or grass. Once I get in these areas, its all about moving baits, and lipless crankbaits and chatterbaits tend to be my most effective choices for finding fish on these vast flats.

Of course, there are so many variables that might warrant a different approach, but overall, it doesnt matter what state I'm in, I can still use this process to help me organize my approach to finding pre-spawn fish. The biggest thing that will change depending on the lake you fish, is possibly the type of baits you use, but usually the locations stay similar.

I would really like to hear about your own processes for the lakes that you like to fish. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_8823 (1).jpg
    IMG_8823 (1).jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 345