$1,500,000 Penalty for Unlawful Texas Whitetail Activities, June 2011

BornToHuntAndFish

In case you have not heard of this deer farmer behaving badly, see web link for story details:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2011/06/illegal-deer-breeding-operation-fined-15-million

June 14, 2011

Illegal Deer (Transportation and) Breeding Operation Fined $1.5 Million

"Billy Powell yesterday pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the East Texas District to illegally transporting at least 37 whitetail deer into Texas from game farms in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio, in violation of state and federal statutes.

Yesterday’s plea ended a lengthy four-year investigation conducted by the Special Operations Unit of the Texas Parks and Wildlife and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim Noble."

AND the U.S. Attorney's Office release at the web link below:

http://www.kltv.com/story/14904851/etx-deer-breeder-pleads-guilty-to-smuggling-deer

ETX deer breeder pleads guilty to smuggling deer

Posted: Jun 14, 2011

Released by U.S. Attorney's Office/Eastern District of Texas:

TYLER, TX -

". . . the longtime cultural tradition of deer hunting, which generates an estimated $1.2 billion in retail sales and has a total economic output of more than $2 billion in Texas each year. "

14904851_BG1.JPG

:eek::hair:

Last edited:

golffreak

Somewhere in Texas, Keith Warren is standing in front of a Wal-Mart with a tin can taking up money to pay his fine.

mtr3333

Banned
Importing live deer. Hmmmm... all of which were quarantined and clear of CWD. It could never happen here. It's on the tee guys.

Band of Brothers

Importing live deer. Hmmmm... all of which were quarantined and clear of CWD. It could never happen here. It's on the tee guys.

I heard of a guy in AZ where I use to live doing the same thing. He want to build up his whitetail heard on his ranch.It can happen anywhere.

UYD4L

I'll take a swing. Its illegal. Guy got a 1.5 million dollar fine. What else do you suggest we do about it?

hunt4em

Its a DEER.I wish they were as good as secureing our borders or catching drug dealers or real criminals. This is repulsive.no wonder the public has a negative. Out look on the goverment

simpleman30

who cares? it's a flippin deer. your tax dollars at waste.

dawgsfan22

It's pretty stupid if you ask me. So a guy transported deer to get better genetics in his heard. If someone did it next to your lease you would condemn him then hunt right on the line.

K80

Let an agency do their job and people complain...

Mark K

Banned
It's a law. I can go to any of the states mentioned and kill a deer and bring it back, but it has to be dead first.

You would think that there was a way they could test for CWD without having to kill the animals. 330+ deer killed to see if they were diseased.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It's a law. I can go to any of the states mentioned and kill a deer and bring it back, but it has to be dead first.

You would think that there was a way they could test for CWD without having to kill the animals. 330+ deer killed to see if they were diseased.

they have to kill the animals to test for rabies, too.

T

DeepweR

i can hear it now "whatcha in for? ahh i was selling drugs......well what are u in for? i was selling deer siemen"

BornToHuntAndFish

From what I understand, testing for rabies involves using brain tissue, but not sure what is used in testing for CWD which may be tested in a similar way.

Bad, Bad, Illegal, Dirty Deer Smugglers!!!

Last edited:

killa86

funny you can move cattle, horses just not deer.

Grey Man

I just don't get it. This is TEXAS. From everything I hear, he could spend half what he paid for 'em on food and have all the deer he could want.

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Why can't you buy the seamen and impregnate your own does? Wouldn't this be legal? One shot can be "cut" into many parts to impregnate hundreds of does.

gt40

sgtstinky

Its a DEER.I wish they were as good as secureing our borders or catching drug dealers or real criminals. This is repulsive.no wonder the public has a negative. Out look on the goverment

So true, I don't fault the LE for doing their job here but this is crazy if you ask me. Much of our Georgia herd is attributed to this very same practice. My how times have changed.