The 60 yard shot...

At what distance are you TRULY comfortable taking a shot??

• 0-30 yards

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • 30-40 yards

Votes: 70 52.6%
  • 40-50 yards

Votes: 32 24.1%
  • 60 yards

Votes: 14 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I know my gun, I should I have hunted with it for 28yrs now. I am fully confident out to 60yds with it. I prefer to get them into 25-35 yards as anyone else does, but mess with me and you'll die at 60 without hesitation or remorse.

Amen....sometimes those old very mature birds don't get any closer than 60. They didn't get big by making mistakes.

Unicoidawg

Staff member

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
A turkey at 60 yards is a turkey that has not successfully been called/hunted yet.

True. A turkey at 60 yards pin pointed the spot you called from when he was 200 yards or more away with it's hearing, and realizes there's not a live hen standing there if he can see the spot. The best calling in the world won't help at this point. If he can't see the calling spot, there's still a chance. And it won't be the sound of a turkey call I use to finish the job of closing him up, unless it's wet. The setup has to be right. Otherwise, it's putt and he'll leave, more than likely before 60 yards. I don't want to see the approach more than 40 yards clearly. The worst calling I ever heard was a live hen.

Timber1

BANNED
So the hen is going to be standing in the same spot while the gobbler goes from 200 yards to 60 yards? I've never seen a hen stand in one spot that long, unless she had a stick up her butt.

XIronheadX

So the hen is going to be standing in the same spot while the gobbler goes from 200 yards to 60 yards? I've never seen a hen stand in one spot that long, unless she had a stick up her butt.

Unless you are walking around calling. I've never watched a caller walk around calling from different spots trying to get one in shooting range. That was reasonably close. You must not be understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying if a bird can see with his eyes the spot the call is coming from, he is more than likely not going to close up. He expects a hen to be there. By sound they know within a few feet where the call is coming from long before they are in range. And I'm sure you know this. And yes I've closed the distance without calling again before he's visible. And BTW you are the hen. Not sure about the stick. lol Make sense? I don't use decoys. I'm saying use the terrain, a curve in the road, or something to make him come in range to look.

Last edited:

Timber1

BANNED
I get what your saying I just don't agree. I have called too many gobblers back to me within a short time after not getting a shot at them the first time around for whatever reason. Your calls are what guide the bird to you. Although I don't recommend it I do know guys that call birds all the way in and hold them to get pretty pictures before they blow their heads off. They spook a lot of turkeys in the process, but get nice pictures. Do you think a gobbler can tell a hunter's tree yelps are actually coming from the ground? If I were one to use this call, I'd feel pretty foolish if I were to find out it was so.
The reason for using terrain, curves in the road, or other sight barriers is to keep the bird from seeing you, the hunter, until he is in range.
When I strike a gobbler and want to kill him I pick the spot I want to kill him in and set up so as to bring him into that killing zone. Whether I see him at 80 yards or 120 yards is irrelevant. Once he enters the killing zone I decide when to shoot depending on how he is acting.
If he comes closer great. If he sticks his head and neck up and cocks his head sideways and locks that eyeball on my spot I pull the trigger. I'm a believerer in closerer is betterer.

Last edited:

DRBugman85

This ☝, I've chase gobblers for over 50 years and 45 yards is max,no decoy are blind and know my Remington 870 3 inch with a Kicks .660 and Longbeard XR 1 7/8 # 6 can kill any Tom dead.??

XIronheadX

I get what your saying I just don't agree. I have called too many gobblers back to me within a short time after not getting a shot at them the first time around for whatever reason. Your calls are what guide the bird to you. Although I don't recommend it I do know guys that call birds all the way in and hold them to get pretty pictures before they blow their heads off. They spook a lot of turkeys in the process, but get nice pictures. Do you think a gobbler can tell a hunter's tree yelps are actually coming from the ground? If I were one to use this call, I'd feel pretty foolish if I were to find out it was so.

All I'm saying is most are going to stop out there and expect you(the hen) to come. Unless it's brain dead 2 year olds. That's how they survive Your calls get the bird interested and coming to you. I think his hearing frequency knows the distance. Or science seems to think. I've been well concealed and motionless and have birds come in, do the turn around, putt and leave. Not because they saw me. They immediately didn't see a hen that should have been there. Years ago I'd have birds stay out there and strut and gobble for an hour at 60 to 100 yards all the time. It drove me nuts. When I started hunting where I set up to limit my view. It limited the turkeys view as well. He had to come in shooting range for his curiosity. No matter how good I called or someone else called, it never affected the standoff. I hunted around some pretty good callers thru the years. I didn't hear much calling out of them while hunting. Nobody has to agree with me. I'm just passing along knowledge I've learned to maybe help someone looking for some. It's worked great for me.
You added the line afterwards that says exactly what I'm saying. How can you not agree lol You- "The reason for using terrain, curves in the road, or other sight barriers is to keep the bird from seeing you, the hunter, until he is in range."

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Show the bird some respect and get him in close enough to be confident.

What he said. ^ My gun is good out to 50 but I'm not pulling the trigger unless the shot is under 30 yds.

XIronheadX

You said if the gobbler can see where your calling from and doesn't see a hen he won't come. That is not true.

More times than not, it's been true in the last 30 yrs. Turkeys can judge distance with the frequency they hear at. You got to find one with a death wish to close up to a spot a live hen isn't walking in. Especially if he's standing there at 60 or 70 yards looking at open terrain.

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

Anyone willing to kill a turkey at 60 should just go ahead and use a muzzleloader to smoke him at 100....you might kill him at 60 but you didn't beat him at the game.

blindhog

Anyone willing to kill a turkey at 60 should just go ahead and use a muzzleloader to smoke him at 100....you might kill him at 60 but you didn't beat him at the game.

THE GAME

It's why I hunt, not to just kill a Gobbler.....but to win that game.
I don't shoot until less than 40 yards.