Shot placement and mountain deer

Glenn

Shot a nice buck yesterday morning with my bow. He came running in to a grunt and ended up underneath me and the tree I was in. Had to wait till he started to walk off before pulling back and taking the shot.

He was quartering away and I hit him on the right side of the spine and back of ribs. Arrow was sticking out about half way (30”) arrow. He ran over the crest of the hill I was on and down to the bottom.

Gave him three hours and began the trailing. He ended up going down hill and then cut sharply to go back up the same way he came from. We lost blood after maybe 200yards still going up hill.

Search a little more until he crossed onto private property where I attempted to obtain permission (stil waiting on that).

Had good blood until he went straight up the mountain and then nothing.

This is the second buck that has gone straight up a steep incline instead of taking the easy route downhill.

Anyway I’m sure he died, but he could have went a number of ways onto the private property. I’m thinking I probably got one lung by the bright pink/red blood and bubbles.

Just wish I could have kept pursuing legally.

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Hope you can get a chance to put your hands on him.

bw561737

I’ve lost a trail on a good buck going uphill as well. The next morning, where I saw last blood, I started walking sideways instead of up and down. Picked it up ten yards away. More than likely, he avoided walking uphill as it would be too strenuous.

rutnbuk

A couple of thoughts here- first it is a terrible feeling to loose a deer so I am hopeful you find him. Also- it sounds like you made a good decision not to shoot straight down and let him walk by. In my tracking days I have trailed some mortally wounded deer straight up a hill only to find them just the other side of the crest so there is still hope after one chooses to run up hill. My concern is this- a quartering away bow shot just behind the ribs as you described is a very deadly shot that usually has the deer fall within sight due to it will usually take liver and a lung with that placement. So the fact he went that far leads me to believe you may have hit more back strap that you thought. Very easy to do- that would explain lack of arrow penetration. I saw this last year as a friend arrowed a buck with almost the same story as yours. 2 months later he shot that buck on the last day of the season with his rifle and I dug the broad head out of the backstrap. He was amazed. So- my first hope is you have recovered him- but if not there is still a chance he may make it. Good luck.

Glenn

Appreciate the information...

Just spoke with one of the lease members and he will keep an eye out. Bit to late to put a dog on him so it is just gonna be blind luck finding him.