Traeger

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Anyone using a traeger? What are the pros and cons? I'm kicking around the idea of getting one. I like the idea of it being quick to start and control the temp as I do not have an excessive amount of time these days to cook/smoke.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have got one about 10 years old and it has a wide range of temp control. I have seen some newer ones that only had like 3 or four stetting's. I did not like that. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. You do need to keep it cleaned up and I vacuum out the fire box after 4 or 5 uses.

Meriwether Mike

The only negative is having to get the pellets. They are available at most hardware stores or Cabelas. Cooks a great steak or tenderloin.:cheers:

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
We got one also. I love it for Smoking but not so much for grilling. We smoke on our Traeger all the time. We grill on an old grill since some low life stole our Akorn. .

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
We got one also. I love it for Smoking but not so much for grilling. We smoke on our Traeger all the time. We grill on an old grill since some low life stole our Akorn. .

What .... First time I ever heard of someone doing that! Dude that is low!

jbogg

Check out the Camp Chef pellet grill as well. I was looking at the Traegers too but found the Camp Chef had a few additional features for the same money. The best deal I have found on the pellets is $19 for a 30 lb bag at Costco. I had never owned a smoker prior to this one, but we are really enjoying ours.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
What .... First time I ever heard of someone doing that! Dude that is low!

Yep right off our patio while we were gone for about and hour....... really burns me up, I guess some folks will steal anything these days.

The Traeger grills great I just prefer the charcoal taste on my steaks and burgers that I don't get from th en traeger.

23wilkerson

I have the camp chef smoke pro se. .I got it from Walmart for 349. I love it .I haven't used charcoal since I got mine.one good thing about it is you don't have to vacumn out the bottom mine it has a handle you pull and the ashes emptys into a cup.i priced a treager around here the cheapest one was 350 and about half the size of mine. I don't know if this will help you make up your mind but I don't think you will regret getting a pellet grill what ever kind you go with.

Dirtroad Johnson

Check out the Camp Chef pellet grill as well. I was looking at the Traegers too but found the Camp Chef had a few additional features for the same money. The best deal I have found on the pellets is $19 for a 30 lb bag at Costco. I had never owned a smoker prior to this one, but we are really enjoying ours.

That's what we did too, we were looking at the Traegers & the Camp Chefs popped up. They are similar & both good smokers - grills. We ended up gett'n the SS Camp Chef. We have enjoyed using the pellet grill after reading & seeing a lot of Tripple C's cooks. :cheers:
It's sorta like Chevy - Ford etc., but either way we enjoy the pellet grill & we also enjoy cooking on the BGE.

Dub

Also, give the RecTec pellet grill a serious look, too.

Several friends have them and they rave about them and their excellent customer service.

Heck, if their grills are 1/3 as good as their rubs then they as golden.

panfish

Iv got a green mountain grill. I love it. I thought the WIFI was dumb. But it is nice when I'm smoking something and fall asleep in the house. My phone wakes me up. To tell me I'm low on pellet or my food has reached its internal temp.. It keeps the temp within 2dig. Of set point.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

After lots and lots of deliberation I pulled the trigger on the traeger! It was delivered on Thursday. Cooked a ribeye and 2 filets on it last night and I will say it was the best steak I believe I've ever had!
Smoking a brisket and butt today.

Attachments

• IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3610.jpg
    IMG_3610.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 237

Dub

After lots and lots of deliberation I pulled the trigger on the traeger! It was delivered on Thursday. Cooked a ribeye and 2 filets on it last night and I will say it was the best steak I believe I've ever had!
Smoking a brisket and butt today.

Great looking steaks !!!

Congrats on a new grill that is gonna be highly versatile for you. Steaks one day....low'n'slow brisket the next. :cool:

BeerThirty

Looks great! I will say this: everyone I know who finally pulled the trigger on a Traeger never regrets it and looks back wondering why they waited so long...

chainshaw

Since Traeger has been bought out, they have really started to let their quality go down. If you are looking at pellet grills, do some research and look at RecTec, Louisiana Grill, Camp Chef, Green Mountain, etc.

Last edited: