Book suggestions on American history

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Im looking for a couple of books that cover American History and the early settlers. Would also like to read about the people who inhabited this land before good ol Christopher Columbus came along..any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose

America In 1492, edited by Alvin M. Josephy Jr

The Founders Of America, by Francis Jennings

William Bartram On The Southeastern Indians

Travels of William Bartram, by William Bartram

Any and all of William Bartram`s writings are well worth the time and money.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What Nic said, plus
A New Voyage to Carolina by John Lawson,
The Indians of the Southeastern United States
by John R. Swanton,
1491 by Charles Mann,
Myths and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee by James Mooney.

rayjay

If you are near Sugar Hill I will let you borrow from my library.

rayjay

You can find a lot of this stuff at Goodwill and other thrift stores. I have seen Undaunted Courage several times. I gave my copy to my oncologist.

rayjay

You should definitely read a Daniel Boone bio.

JackSprat

Knights of Spain

Would also like to read about the people who inhabited this land before good ol Christopher Columbus came along..any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks

This is considered as one of the definitive books on DeSoto's journey through the SE United States. Extrapolated from contemporaneous journals. 45 years after Columbus landed, and it was the first contact by the natives with the Europeans.

Charles Hudson was a UGA prof. and considered the leading De Soto authority of the late 20th century.

Biggest problem after you read it is deciding if you are going to accept the opinion of the leading academic authority on the subject who devoted a lifetime of study to the matter, or the opinion of a GON expert who read a book once.

You'll find it's better to just be quiet and let the water flow on by.

http://www.ugapress.org/index.php/books/knights_of_spain

BDD

It probably wouldn’t be as interesting to you , but there may also be one for your county.
But, “The History of Coweta County” was very good. It talked about some of the families that settled the county
and how they got here and why they stayed. Very localized history.

Anvil Head

"America BC" some real eye opening info with great support documentation.
Phonecians and Egyptians sailed up the Mississippi....evidence found out in the river near St. Louis - really mess with your govt. education.