panola mountain 2016

biggdogg

First trip for me as well.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Any tips from guys that have been .

At the safety meeting, try and figure out where most folks are going then, go somewhere else......they cram a lotta people in that park on this hunt. Most people tend to congregate in certain areas of that park based on past information, but the deer everywhere.

When I went there was a 2 deer limit, doe first. I shot the first two does that walked past me on the first morning and considered the hunt a huge success. If you go hoping for a mega buck you may be disappointed, if you go looking for some meat you should have a great time. Also, the DNR folks working it are great, and very helpful.

bubbafowler

Hard hunt last year. Doe first got allot of people. And hunt cancelled second day. They told us in meeting that the population was down to the size they wanted it. So it not overpopulated like before. I did take home a doe and a 4.5 year old 6 pt ( no brows) with an 18.5 inch spread.

bilgerat

Senior
I was there last year also, saw a nice 8 pointer on opening morn, killed a big doe on the second morn before they cancelled the rest of the hunt due to the weather, saw 8 deer and had a great time! Pm me and Ill give you a tip on where I hunted.

GA DAWG

I was there yr before last and we could kill more than 2 deer if we tagged it with our tag. Musta worked out for them since they say the population is where they want it. Your gonna here tells of where the bigguns are killed and they are. First place we went to look. So did every other person that got there early and some that beat us in there somehow. So we looked elsewhere. They also opened every rd and bike path to drive when we went. Doe first rule makes no sense to me. It's cost me bucks on every state Park I've hunted.

bubbafowler

Yea i specifically asked if they would let us kill more. They said they would say at meeting. I guess they were waiting to see how many showed up. They said the population was where they wanted it. Kinda hinted at it going to an every other year hunt. I still didn't see the number I expected scouting. Only saw two hunting. Luckily it was a doe then the mature buck. So I went home with two. Not saying I wouldn't do it again but not what I expected.

GA DAWG

Camping was in a parking lot when we went.

leftystar

In our packet is says
"Available by reservation inside the safety zone around the check station pavilion" Would this be the parking lot?

I'm debating whether to bring tent or my small pop up. Can we run a generator ?

tlee22

My dad David Lee is going. I hunt the old archery range 2 years ago and did really well beside missing a monster the last day. I hunt the rock the first day and was covered up with hunters. everyone one was cutting everyone else off and hunting on top of each other. Was about to go home and DNR told me to go to the archery range and give it a shot. Glad I did. Only me and one other guy over there. Great hunt.. Have fun... and good luck... Not sure about generators but I think they camped in a parking lot last time.

leftystar

Yeah we got it figured out. I was set up on the old golf course close to the river but had to move. Cannot hunt 50 yards from any path including grown up cart paths

frankwright

Wow, That is pretty sad.

That is usually the way it works. By the time you get enough points to get drawn, there are few deer left.