GA State Park Priorities

Resica

PA also has 3 times more hunters than Georgia, so we really have more land per person.
Ga. is the biggest state east of the Mississippi, quite a bigger state than Pa. with less folks, with less public land. I can hunt Sproul State Forest north of Penn State in rifle season or turkey season and never see another person, trucks yes but people no. This is public land.

Resica

PA also has 3 times more hunters than Georgia, so we really have more land per person.
Just seems like less hassle for a hunter up here. Pull over and hunt. No offense intended for quota hunts and check ins down there. My biggest issue at camp in turkey season in the morn is not running over a whip-poor-will. :)

Resica

I understand that most Georgia land is private, just like here. Also understand that lots of big timber companies down there growing pines and they lease. I'm sure plenty of private owners up here lease too. We have Georgia-Pacific and Weyerhaeuser land up here too but not the pines. I think but don't know for sure that a lot of that land is open for the public to hunt. If I want to find big pine forests, I'd have to go to the Pine Barrens in south Jersey, looks like Georgia.

ucfireman

Georgia State Parks weren't hunted at all a little over 20 years ago. It took a lot of work by a lot of people from Wildlife Resources and Georgia State Parks to make it happen. There was a lot of opposition we had to overcome. GA State Parks Division does a fantastic job with very limited resources.
Im glad/happy with the state park hunts, would love to see more added. Maybe on a rotating schedule, have a hunt on a 2-3 year rotation?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Im glad/happy with the state park hunts, would love to see more added. Maybe on a rotating schedule, have a hunt on a 2-3 year rotation?
There are some that hunt every other year and they are always looking at other parks with emerging deer issues.

Gaswamp

There are some that hunt every other year and they are always looking at other parks with emerging deer issues.
Have somebody take a look at Veterans State Park.