GA State Park Priorities

Long Cut

I stumbled across this on Facebook earlier today. Found it pretty frustrating to say the least.
I don’t anticipate the crowd they’re attempting to appease will be for Deer Hunting on State Parks. Regardless of what the Biologists say. Just look at New York, New Jersey, California and even parts of Colorado now.

Meanwhile Texas has Programs like Share A Lunker, and seems to be constantly trying to improve their Public Waters for Conservation & Outdoorsmen, while Georgia seems to be more concerned about adding EV charging ports at State Parks.

“But they were donated by Rivian and Georgia Power”….
^ Said companies couldn’t donate funds or various other equipment to better the Parks AND Wildlife?

For a State that holds the World Record Largemouth Bass, you’d think the Department of Natural Resources would put more time and effort into bettering the Public lakes & ponds to entice more fishermen and tournaments alike.
I’d imagine the revenue from Anglers & Outdoorsmen would far surpass any EV driving folk.

https://texassharelunker.com/

My .02IMG_0614.png

Sixes

Actually Georgia Power/Southern Company does a ton of good for the outdoors, hunters and fisherman including leasing WMA lands to the state.

I don't necessarily agree with the chargers but you shouldn't say GP could do more for outdoorsmen. Look up Project WINGS

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I mean the dnr and park managers have got to have a way to charge all of their new EV’s

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Keep the discussion hunting related in this forum. There’s another forum for political whining.

BeerThirty

I'm all for getting more people outdoors so, if this helps, then I'm fine with that. Won't impact me one bit (unless they raise park fees to pay for this, which, they may)

NCMTNHunter

I've just always been impressed that GA allows hunting on state parks. I'm sure there are other states that do it but the vast majority doesn't. The first turkey I ever called in on my own, my first grouse, and first bear were all on what is now an NC state park never to be hunted again.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Georgia State Parks weren't hunted at all a little over 20 years ago. It took a lot of work by a lot of people from Wildlife Resources and Georgia State Parks to make it happen. There was a lot of opposition we had to overcome. GA State Parks Division does a fantastic job with very limited resources.

Resica

I've just always been impressed that GA allows hunting on state parks. I'm sure there are other states that do it but the vast majority doesn't. The first turkey I ever called in on my own, my first grouse, and first bear were all on what is now an NC state park never to be hunted again.
Pa. has 124 State Parks with over 300,000 acres. Most of them are pull up and hunt, there are some in suburbia that have a drawing to hunt deer but most are not like that. Another 1.5 million acres of State Game Lands and 2.6 million acres of State forest and 600,00 acres of National Forest. No sign ins, etc.!!

slow motion

Pa. has 124 State Parks with over 300,000 acres. Most of them are pull up and hunt, there are some in suburbia that have a drawing to hunt deer but most are not like that. Another 1.5 million acres of State Game Lands and 2.6 million acres of State forest and 600,00 acres of National Forest. No sign ins, etc.!!
That is definitely nice. Only problem is its in Pennsylvania. That's a yankee state. ::ke: :bounce: :cheers:

Resica

That is definitely nice. Only problem is its in Pennsylvania. That's a yankee state. ::ke: :bounce: :cheers:
Oh man. It's so nice to turkey, deer or whatever you want to hunt near my camp. I have hundreds of thousands of acres of State Forest to hunt. Normally when its not hunting season, I take a ride around on the gravel State Forest roads. I'll drive 80 miles and see 1 or 2 cars, I really like that!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Oh man. It's so nice to turkey, deer or whatever you want to hunt near my camp. I have hundreds of thousands of acres of State Forest to hunt. Normally when its not hunting season, I take a ride around on the gravel State Forest roads. I'll drive 80 miles and see 1 or 2 cars, I really like that!

How long is deer season up there now?

Resica

I'd have to look. Archery starts in September. There is muzzleloader and Flintlock later. Down in the southeast and southwest maybe you can hunt antlerless after Christmas. So many changes. Rifle season for bucks is about 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, in some Wildlife management units antlerless is included. You can hunt deer a long time up here but rifle season for bucks is about 2 weeks. If we had less hunters, it'd be longer.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
PA also has 3 times more hunters than Georgia, so we really have more land per person.

Resica

Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version

2023-24 SMALL GAME SEASONS

SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined)​

RUFFED GROUSE​

RABBIT (Cottontail)​

RING-NECKED PHEASANT​

BOBWHITE QUAIL​

HARES (SNOWSHOE RABBITS) OR VARYING HARES​

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS)​

CROWS​

STARLINGS AND ENGLISH SPARROWS​

2023-24 BIG GAME SEASONS

FALL WILD TURKEY - (Male or Female)​

SPRING GOBBLER (Bearded bird only)​

BLACK BEAR - FIREARMS​

BLACK BEAR, MUZZLELOADER (Statewide)​

BLACK BEAR, SPECIAL FIREARMS (Statewide)​

BLACK BEAR - ARCHERY​

ELK​

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless)​

WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Sept. 16-Nov. 11, Sunday Nov. 12, Nov. 13-18, Sunday Nov. 19, Nov. 20-24 and Dec. 26-Jan. 27, 2024

Statewide: Sept. 30-Nov. 11, Sunday Nov. 12, Nov. 13-17 and Dec. 26-Jan. 15, 2024.

One antlered deer per hunting license year.

One antlered deer, and an antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER - ANTLERLESS​

Oct. 14-21.
An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS SPECIAL FIREARMS (Statewide)​

Oct. 19-21.
Only Junior and Senior License Holders,Commission Disabled Person Permit Holders (to use a vehicle as a blind), and Residents serving on active duty in the United States Armed Forces or U.S. Coast Guard
One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, REGULAR FIREARMS (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide​

Nov. 25; Sunday, Nov. 26; and Nov. 27-Dec. 9.
One antlered deer per hunting license year.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK​

WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A and 5B with required muzzleloading license: Dec. 26-Jan. 15, 2024
(WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D) with required muzzleloading license: Dec. 26-Jan. 27, 2024.

One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS EXTENDED REGULAR FIREARMS​

(WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 27, 2024.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Military Bases)​

Hunting permitted on days established by the U.S. Department of the Army at Letterkenny Army Depot, Franklin County; New Cumberland Army Depot, York County; and Fort Detrick, Raven Rock Site, Adams County.