Ph/lime?

bacon6

Ok I know one of you experts can help here Ok I have some new land and places to put several 1/2 ac. Plots, I have bush hogged and sprayed to kill weeds and turned them over after they were dead now my soil PH test showes a ph of 5.0-5.5 on all of them, can't get an ag lime truck to them so am going to have to use bags of pelletized lime to adjust the levels, with ph at 5.0 how much lime will I need per 1/2 acre. Any help please, is there a chart that helps calculate or does anyone know? Looking to get to 6.5-7.0 Thanks

280bst

Sorry but it takes about 1 ton on 1 acre to change it 1 point. More good news it takes on average 6 months to take full effect the quick lime is pricey I lime my garden in March & October for that reason I'm sure you'll have more advice and you can't really put down too much

Forest Grump

Ok I know one of you experts can help here Ok I have some new land and places to put several 1/2 ac. Plots, I have bush hogged and sprayed to kill weeds and turned them over after they were dead now my soil PH test showes a ph of 5.0-5.5 on all of them, can't get an ag lime truck to them so am going to have to use bags of pelletized lime to adjust the levels, with ph at 5.0 how much lime will I need per 1/2 acre. Any help please, is there a chart that helps calculate or does anyone know? Looking to get to 6.5-7.0 Thanks

If you sent your soil test to a lab they will have provided lime amounts for you in the report:huh:?

A chart or table won't work because it depends on the properties of the soil how much Ca will be needed to neutralize it. A clay soil will require 2-3 times as much as a sandy soil to effect the same pH change.

That said, it will be difficult for you to apply more than 2 tons/acre at a time & get it mixed well into the plow zone.

bacon6

Guess I'll just have to put out some now and keep adding as I can till I get in to better levels, seems to be good dark bottom soil just low Ph

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Guess I'll just have to put out some now and keep adding as I can till I get in to better levels, seems to be good dark bottom soil just low Ph

Well, for a $10 soil sample it can tell you exactly what you need and save you some money, in a couple weeks. Just a suggestion, but if you plan to go ahead and add lime now, pull a soil sample anyway, before you do it, so you at least know where you started. There are lots of variables that go into adjusting soil ph, like the amount of organic matter and the type of soil you have.

I'm over in Talbot County and I started with a 4.7 ph and they recommended 3.75 tons per acre.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Well, for a $10 soil sample it can tell you exactly what you need and save you some money, in a couple weeks. Just a suggestion, but if you plan to go ahead and add lime now, pull a soil sample anyway, before you do it, so you at least know where you started. There are lots of variables that go into adjusting soil ph, like the amount of organic matter and the type of soil you have.

I'm over in Talbot County and I started with a 4.7 ph and they recommended 3.75 tons per acre.

And I am a few miles from Canuck5 and mine started at 6.4,so a soil test is MONEY in the bank.

nrh0011

They should have generated a lime recommendation for you. Provided that you listed a crop to be grown.