HELP! I forgot to check "full year coverage" box

oldfella1962

Yes I just realized I overlooked line 61 of my Form 1040
when I filed my taxes. facepalm: I did not check "yes" to having full year health care coverage. I do indeed have full year coverage for myself & my spouse under Tricare (retired vet) and my son who I am claiming as a dependent adult has VA health insurance. I mailed my taxes in already.

So I am sending in a 1040X (amendment) explaining that I forgot to check that box. Nothing else changes on my taxes.

My question is will my refund be delayed? Will it be reduced because I will be "fined" for not proving I have health insurance? If my refund is reduced will I get credit once the IRS gets my amendment? Will this mistake even be noticed? Discuss please!

breathe in

Two years prior to '17 I didn't have insurance and stated so on the return. You Should've got a question come up asking you why, with a few choices. I picked the choice "too expensive." Havent heard anything since and no fine to date?.

DannyW

My daughter just got a letter from the IRS about the same thing. She has not received her refund yet, so I assume they are holding it until the paperwork is corrected. No threats or anything sinister, just a simple letter requesting her to make the correction.

And I'm no tax expert but I can't see how they could possibly fine you. It's not even due yet. As long as it's corrected by April 15 then you should be okay.