Big White Boat

ICU2012

My father in law has expressed an intrest in coming to shoot a few ducks with me this year. however, it's been probably 30 years since he's pullin the trigger on a bird and he doesnt get around like he used too. Between his knee surgery, back surgery and heart surgery, pulling over dikes or walking is out of the question. The easiest hunt that I can think of is taking our 17ft Key West out in the salt and set up for some mergs and divers. I very rarely hunt in the boat, and have never tried from a white one. Anyone got any tips on getting birds to come within range of a shiney white fishing boat? i've heard that they dont care and just put a line of bills and a few buffy decoys out about 30 yards and they'll pitch right in. but I have no idea if that's true

Triple BB

you have forgotten more than we will ever know....but in all seriousness pull the boat over in the reeds get some tarps and cover it up the best you can. i would think you would a least get a few shots

ICU2012

you have forgotten more than we will ever know....but in all seriousness pull the boat over in the reeds get some tarps and cover it up the best you can. i would think you would a least get a few shots

Hey. I said I've forgotten more than MOST of you will ever know!
Thanks for the ideas

gtmcwhorter

od green and brown camo paint at wal-mart! Nothing a good paint thinner won't take off!! Seriously though, burlap should do the trick!

This is no problem. Get some palmetto frons or marsh grass and grass the bottom of the boat. Then follow up with burlap and cover the rest of the white sides and console and seats . Take some tie wraps/zip ties for the uneducated and some sting a make a tie off of some sort in th front and back of the boat and build a floating dove blind. This will be cheap and easy to do. when you are done keep your burlap and throw the grass away. Now if you live close to the coast , get some large palmetto frons and use the for your up right. Best time for the buffys and mergs on the coast is Jan. Good luck.

CootCartel

Just take your fishing poles too, that way you look like fishermen..

jerry russell

Might be over thinking this...Drop of Paw-n-law, go park the boat. Get out of it and walk back to the place where you want to hunt.

Dupree

Might be over thinking this...Drop of Paw-n-law, go park the boat. Get out of it and walk back to the place where you want to hunt.

You obviously haven done too much walking in the salt marsh. Unless its a shell bank or oyster bar paw-n-law would have a hard time.

FOD

Did you forget how you used to do it?

jerry russell

You obviously haven done too much walking in the salt marsh. Unless its a shell bank or oyster bar paw-n-law would have a hard time.

Yeah, you are probably right. Simply a lack of experience on my part. What ever was I thinking?

Last edited:

ICU2012

Getting in and out of the boat at the dock is enough of a challenge for dad in law. no way he'll be able to get out of the boat and into marsh or onto a bar. I forgot to mention he's 6'5" and about 260lbs..... so I'm goin to try the burlap and some marsh grass, should be easy enough for us to set up and he can hunt fairly comfortably. thanks for the ideas

That will work to if you can find a hard oyster bed

we do it all the time. Just remember you cant walk in puff mud. Good Luck!