Zone 1 DIY 12 footer

DSGB

Took the hide over to the regional game office in Ft. Valley and got the CITES tag, then dropped it off at American Tannery in Griffin. Also, went and got a 20 gal trash can and an aquarium heater to macerate the skull. It barely fit in there!

DSGB

The skull is coming along. I took it out the other day and sprayed some of the loose meat off and pulled any loose teeth before filling it back up. Shouldn't be long and I can start to degrease.

9A062318-6D80-4121-8518-794DB5CDF905_zpssia61x90.jpg

DSGB

What are you doing to get the skin and flesh off the skull?

It's called maceration. It's the same technique museums use, as well as some taxidermists. Plain ol' water and an aquarium heater. The natural bacteria breaks down the tissue. It had been in there about two weeks.

DSGB

Bones are pretty clean. Some have separated, but that was expected. They're back in the water with some Dawn for degreasing.

6B8E0F9C-C684-4F13-A1DF-FFE18977E1A8_zpso90yw81a.jpg

DSGB

Looking good! You gunna put her all back together?

Yes. I expected them to come apart. The teeth will be the hardest part. I tried keeping them separate in egg cartons, but a bunch of them fell out in the water.

biker13

Great gator and wonderful story.Nothing like gator huntin.

DSGB

Finally getting around to finishing up this skull. It's very clean and I didn't even have to use peroxide. Got the bones all glued back together, now gotta start on the teeth.

IMG_3649_zpsakce2ucb.jpg

IMG_3648_zpsyq4z706r.jpg

IMG_3650_zpss8qdo0go.jpg

Latest posts