A little disappointed in myself

Bobby Bigtime

I got my antelope buck this morning. Our goal (wife and I) is to get it done on opening morning preferably by noon, before they get shot at and spooky. If we get into big ones ,great if an opportunity arises for a decent meat buck we will take it. While making a play for a really nice buck, a meat buck presented himself and I decided to take him. He gave me a good broadside shot at 100 yards. I put the crosshairs on his neck and missed him clean went slightly over. Hit him in the neck at 150 and 200 he spun four donuts and trotted of like nothing happened, frustrated and hasty I missed at about 300. I guess because he wanted to give up he stopped in a little dip 337 yards out and I dropped him. I never take five shots to kill a game animal even antelope. A little disappointed in myself.

Bobby Bigtime

I am not a neck shooter either. The way the grass and terrain happen to be what was available with the exception of the first shot. It was so close and wanting to drop him there I went for it. After that that was pretty much all that was offered. That 107 year old rifle ( orbendorf Swede) is a true gem and super accurate so I was confident I could place my shots. It was crazy though on two neck hits no spine or arteries. I won't ever give up or leave one wounded out there. Disappointed that it took that many shots and put him through a tough couple of minutes.

huntfish

I've taken a lot of speed goats over the years. If you can't get out there Friday before the opener to watch them settle down and bed, (they are diurnal and don't' move much at night, go mid week. They'll be settled down and you don't have all the truck hunters chasing them.

Latest posts